PLFXpert

Pets: Rescue or Store/Breeder Purchase?

I got "my" dog at a store. This store took in unwanted (accident) animals. He is a Australian Sheppard / Chow mix. He cost me $30, that is how much the guy had in shots and stuff.

Best dog I've ever had... (Sampson Fuzzy Wuzzy)

After he pooped in the house 1 time, I told him that he could not do that and he never has since.

My wife figured that "all" dogs were that easy to train and started doing foster work with a non profit, no kill, shelter. She kept our first foster dog, a black lab mix named Sampson (he was a kid biter, underground fence shocked dog, dog bit kid that got him too close to fence). Then she went to the shelter one day and came home with a girl dog (some fluffy tail 40# brown dog).

Now we have 3 dogs (70#, 50#, 45#) 2 cats, 1 turtle, and a 15 month old kid. My dog will let the kid do pretty much anything to him.

I see NO reason to EVER buy a dog from a breeder OR pet store (unless it was like above) anyone can get any type of dog that they really want from a rescue group. There is a group for every type of dog I can think of.

If you truly must have a pure breed with papers then buy right from the breader... however if you don't care about that you should go to a shelter, or contact grateful greyhounds
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I have had "rescue" pets since I was a kid.
Honestly, I think they know I saved them. They are the sweetest animals. And I feel like I have done something good.

I haven't said that I appreciate what you did for me lately, have I?:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I LOVE greyhound-rescues!

My friend has one she rescued and his race-name was "Sir Thomas Moore". She calls him "Tommy".

I LOVE Tommy. Tommy can run like the wind blows. :D:P And he LOVES to be loved. I would steal him from her in a heartbeat--oh my gosh! I just love watching him have a great time because he's so happy now.

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Rescue. My little fuzzballs were adopted as kittens, but they were both rescues of a sort. Nightingale's friend had Franklin from his teeny-tiny days but couldn't keep him, and Daisy found me when I stopped by a pet store to pick up all the stuff I would need for Franklin. A local no-kill shelter was having an adoption event there that day and I just had to stop and look in on all the cute little kittens ... and there she was. (I'd been planning on getting a friend for Franklin, just not necessarily that day.:D)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Unless a specific breed is desired, adopt from a local shelter. Some people don't like the fact that they charge a small fee, but the fee covers medical checks, immunizations, spay/neuter, and just as important, it weeds people who don't take the commitment seriously. The money also supports the shelter.

IMHO, anyone who breeds non-pedigreed cats/dogs for commercial purposes is being a dick. I assume "pets stores" get most of their animals from people like that. They certainly don't pay an adoption fee to a shelter. There are way too many good animals sitting in non-profit shelters for anyone to even consider buying one from a store at the mall.

My BIG black alley cat came from a shelter. My Bengal was purchased from a proper breeder, but only because I wanted a documented example of that particular breed.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

My BIG black alley cat came from a shelter. My Bengal was purchased from a proper breeder, but only because I wanted a documented example of that particular breed.

Did you even try to do a search for breed specific rescues? I just did a quick one for Bengal cats, and there are a bunch of rescues all over the country for them. Sometimes even the rescues come with papers.... people of all kinds abuse animals, even those loaded enough to spend $1000 on a cat :S

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I don't really know how I should vote... I don't have any issue with going to a reputable breeder to get a dog.

I am constantly getting comments about Karma but she is a Mutt and I consider her a rescue despite the fact that I got her from the owner of her mother (a catahoula hound) and she didn't "cost" me anything other then shots when I first took her to her first vetaranian appointment.

The most humerous thing to me is that the vet that first saw her at 8 weeks old suggested that she would probably be 55-60 lbs... alas... he was wrong... as she is 80 lbs of pure muscle.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Cats: Rescue, unless you want a cat guaranteed free of certain health problems. Otherwise, reputable breeder.

Dogs: Pound if you know how to train a dog and are okay with getting no support while doing it. Rescue if you already know what you're doing or the rescue is very supportive. Breeder if you want a specific breed of dog with a certain temperament, want to show, or you are inexperienced and want someone you can call at 3 am with questions, and want a dog guaranteed free of certain health problems.

Pet Store: NEVER! No reputable breeder will ever sell an animal to a pet store, pet stores don't do genetic testing on their animals, and they provide no support, so you might as well get an animal from a rescue and not encourage the puppy/kitten mill market. At a pet store, you're paying breeder prices without the benefit of the breeder, and puppy mills are HORRIBLE.
___
I separated cats from dogs because they're very different. Dogs have been bred for centuries to specialize in certain things, and they've been bred for certain levels of energy and certain temperament. Dogs must be trained and you must know how to provide leadership for them, or they become dangerous.

My cat's a rescue, I adore him, and he's a typical cat. Aloof most of the time, affectionate when he wants to be, trained himself to use a catbox. My dog's from a breeder, and he's a typical papillon. Small, very sweet, very intelligent, prefers people to other dogs, a great apartment dog, and exactly what I wanted. When I got the cat, I wanted a cat. When I got the dog, I wanted a very specific temperament, health certificates (I'd just lost a cat and couldn't deal with medical problems, either emotionally or financially, so I wanted to minimize my risk), and somebody I could call at 3 am if I had to. Now that I have more experience with dogs, my next dog will probably be from a rescue.

Dogs from breeders aren't superior to dogs from the pound. They're just different in that a dog from a breeder is a known factor, while a pound critter is a wild card. Dogs from rescues are somewhere in the middle.

Sometimes even the rescues come with papers.... people of all kinds abuse animals, even those loaded enough to spend $1000 on a cat

It's true many breed-specific rescue-organizations do often have animals with papers. And it's important to note not all of the animals came from abusive homes. Many were given up for other reasons such as the owner didn't do the proper research beforehand and wasn't prepared to care for the animal and/or did not expect the cost, elderly folks moving into a home which does not allow animals, a couple pregnant for the first time might give up a cat before term, or after pregnancy might give up a dog because babies take up a lot of time & energy, or these days people loosing their homes in foreclosure and having to find new housing and the new housing might not allow animals, or the family can no longer afford their animals.

There are a ton of reasons and in most cases with these animals--especially in the breed-specific shelters--the shelter knows why the animal was surrendered, picked-up, etc. and this information is included on their card.

Even at Animal Care & Control (where we got Cruz) they had surprisingly a ton of info on all the animals up for adoption. For example, we kept our eyes open for the cards that read: "Likes cats" as that was a primary concern of ours.

Dogs from breeders...They're just different in that a dog from a breeder is a known factor, while a pound critter is a wild card. Dogs from rescues are somewhere in the middle.

While this is true in some cases, I would say not all (or even most). Shelters don't just pick up a dog from the street and immediately put it up for adoption. And often mutts have far less health problems than pure-breds.

My entire family has papillons and has since I was a little girl. And each went to a "reputable breeder" and were assured this and that. And as far as tempermant goes all is as promised. But, not a single one yet has not developed an enlarged heart, MR or some other heart problem. A couple also slowly lost their ability to see well. These are breed-specific problems.

Did you even try to do a search for breed specific rescues? I just did a quick one for Bengal cats, and there are a bunch of rescues all over the country for them. Sometimes even the rescues come with papers.... people of all kinds abuse animals, even those loaded enough to spend $1000 on a cat :S

Its not just abuse. Bengals are "trendy" cats right now. People will spend a small fortune on a beautiful "trendy" pet without realizing what it means to own a pet, ANY pet. Then the kitten claws your curtains or hacks up a furball on the suede sofa and she's history. Happens all the time, it even happens with shelter animals.

If you do go to a shelter make sure you actually get xrays on their hips done.
I learnt my lesson. I have possibly $20,000 that nedds to be sent ont them and that is not including the $200 each week for sedation and physio plus meds while waiting.

It is worth paying for the xrays just to make sure.

I know this sounds extreme but we are spending $4800 on one leg plus $200 a week on physio and sedation, then we will consider the other legs of both dogs.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

People will spend a small fortune on a beautiful "trendy" pet without realizing what it means to own a pet, ANY pet.

This touches on one of the primary points I wanted to make in this discussion.

There sometimes (not always) seems to be a noticeable distinction between rescuers vs. purchasers in the way they view the animal. Some people view pets as property--and they are to a certain degree--but certainly a pet is not like a vase in that there are no laws w/r/t what you can do with your own vase. There are, however, laws about what you can do to your pets (thankfully!).

Still, some people view their pets in much the same way as their beautiful vase. It's another thing to keep up with the joneses. It's a status symbol. Sure such a person might love their pet, but such a person also really loves their vase. Sadly, if such a person loves their vase more, and the pet breaks the vase, it's not unthinkable for the person to surrender the pet to an adoption facility or worse--stick it in the backyard, or crate or chain or somewhere to wait for hours in vain.
[:/]

Ironically, I've actually been working to make it "trendy" to rescue an animal vs. purchase.

Breeder if you want a specific breed of dog with a certain temperament, want to show, or you are inexperienced and want someone you can call at 3 am with questions, and want a dog guaranteed free of certain health problems.

A certain temperment? What kind of temperment can someone guarantee when you get a puppy from them?

Getting from a breeder if you want to show, I can agree with.

What certain types of health problems can breeders guarantee against?

It really depends on how you want to use the animal.

Pets? Certain breeds have certain traits bred into them. But if you just want a dumb and loving mutt, then rescue is the way to go.

If you want to hunt? or protect the family? or have a working dog? or other? Maybe you'd want a breeded animal. Or at least look for that breed first in the rescues available

We have to buy a certain breed of pet because of allergies. Or go without. Or die from an asthma attack. So who wants to go all self righteous on me for picking a hypoallergenic breed so my daughter can experience taking care of a pet?

All that said, I think city folk don't really understand the concept of a 'working' dog. So shelters make the most sense. But I can't tell by looking at them why some pick certain pets.

Buying a particular breed for function or temperament seems fine to me.

Buying a certain breed for just the appearance seems shallow and pointless to me - IMO.

But having the presumption to judge someone based on where and why they get there pets? what's the point?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There are rescue groups for every concievable breed of dog, cat, rabbit, bird, rodent, and even large animals out there, so it's not hard to find a rescue in whatever breed strikes one's fancy.

Would you like to help me find a "free" devon rex cat to rescue? We'd like to have a second of the breed. And they really should be paired.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm not sure what the normal procedures are in New Zealand, but as far as I know, here in the U.S. you're required to take the animal for a complete check-up within one week of adoption.

As it is here but that does not mean X-RAY. does it in the states. Hip dysplasia can not always be dedected so young without an xray.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

There are rescue groups for every concievable breed of dog, cat, rabbit, bird, rodent, and even large animals out there, so it's not hard to find a rescue in whatever breed strikes one's fancy.

Would you like to help me find a "free" devon rex cat to rescue? We'd like to have a second of the breed. And they really should be paired.

lol, you're not going to find a rescue that adopts animals out for "free". Why? Because animal health care is not free. It's not like rescues pick up dogs and cats off the street and adopt them out that day. They get shots, de-wormed, spayed neutered, etc. and that costs money.

Anyway, it took me all of 2 seconds to find these:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10689356
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10669607

look around.

Good point. No, I didn't look for a rescue cat. It was 1995, and Bengals were not nearly as common as they are now.

EDIT: She's sleeping on my lap right now. She's 12 years old. Got her in 1996.

EDIT2: My BIG black alley cat is sleeping beside me. He's 14 years old. Got him from the pound in 1994.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It really depends on how you want to use the animal.

Pets? Certain breeds have certain traits bred into them. But if you just want a dumb and loving mutt, then rescue is the way to go.

If you want to hunt? or protect the family? or have a working dog? or other? Maybe you'd want a breeded animal. Or at least look for that breed first in the rescues available

We have to buy a certain breed of pet because of allergies. Or go without. Or die from an asthma attack. So who wants to go all self righteous on me for picking a hypoallergenic breed so my daughter can experience taking care of a pet?

All that said, I think city folk don't really understand the concept of a 'working' dog. So shelters make the most sense. But I can't tell by looking at them why some pick certain pets.

Buying a particular breed for function or temperament seems fine to me.

Buying a certain breed for just the appearance seems shallow and pointless to me - IMO.

I don't differ with you at all regarding certain traits in certain breeds. You seem to think that all resues are mutts... far from it. My greyhound is a purebred, with papers. My russian blue cat is the same. Both from rescues (a greyhound rescue and a humane leauge... the cat was surrendered by a college student who's roommate was allergic to cats and they found this out the hard way, after getting a kitten).

Working dog? My stumpy tail cattle dog was from the humane league... she was born there, we got her as a puppy. That dog is the most eager to please, sweet natured dog I've ever met. If I had cattle, she'd be a natural at herding them. As it is, we keep her busy herding the other 2 dogs and she loves it.

Allergies? Labradoodles are good for people with allergy problems, same with bischons, both have breed specific rescue groups, and are often in shelters as well.

Shelters are not full of pit bulls or mutts or strays (although there are a lot of the above animals)... there are all kinds of animals there. If you want a hypoallergenic pet or a working pet, do a search for a breed specific rescue.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I don't differ with you at all regarding certain traits in certain breeds. You seem to think that all resues are mutts... far from it. My greyhound is a purebred, with papers. My russian blue cat is the same. Both from rescues (a greyhound rescue and a humane leauge... the cat was surrendered by a college student who's roommate was allergic to cats and they found this out the hard way, after getting a kitten).

Working dog? My stumpy tail cattle dog was from the humane league... she was born there, we got her as a puppy. That dog is the most eager to please, sweet natured dog I've ever met. If I had cattle, she'd be a natural at herding them. As it is, we keep her busy herding the other 2 dogs and she loves it.

Allergies? Labradoodles are good for people with allergy problems, same with bischons, both have breed specific rescue groups, and are often in shelters as well.

Shelters are not full of pit bulls or mutts or strays (although there are a lot of the above animals)... there are all kinds of animals there. If you want a hypoallergenic pet or a working pet, do a search for a breed specific rescue.

Well said. :)