galvar2439

Do wealthy or powerful people get better treatment?

OF COURSE SILLY, I can tell you from experience that having lote of money makes everyday life much easier, but creates its own headaches. I have been to both extremes and can honestly say that money did not make me as happy as i though t it would. But people definitely treat you different if they know you have money, especially the pretty ones. Its just the way it is and its not going to change.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Even though money will not bring you happiness it does have an effect.
I believe the last study on the subject stated that money does effect happiness but only to a certain amount. Once you have your basic needs met and all the financial concerns are takin care of it really depends on you to be happy. I believe the amount they had was about 50k a year per person.

As for people treating you different depends on the people. We do value money a lot and it is not just the cash that attracts people to you it is what it symbolizes as well. When you have lots of money people assume you are smart, dominant, and successful. It is not always true off course.

At least that’s my OP.

Hey can i borrow some money?:P

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Of course they do. It's called classism, and it's been around since dirt was invented.

Its just the way it is and its not going to change.

You're right. It won't ever change as long as people continue to have the attitude that it's not going to change.

You're right. It won't ever change as long as people continue to have the attitude that it's not going to change.

I try to be egalitarian, and know a few rich and powerful people that are asshats, and some very modest people who are way more honest and fair, that I'd rather hang out with. But money and power can almost always buy better treatment, whether you're purchasing lawyers, dinners, doctors, or airline seats. That's the way the world is. If John the Ditchdigger can only afford a bus ticket, should Joe the CEO not get to fly first class?

If John the Ditchdigger can only afford a bus ticket, should Joe the CEO not get to fly first class?

Why shouldn't John the Ditchdigger get a wider, more comfortable seat and the chance to get on and off the plane first? I'll bet John works as hard or harder than Joe the CEO does. What makes Joe more worthy of physical comfort than John?

That's the way the world is.

You prove the point. As long as we agree that the way it is is the way it should always be and nothing we can do will change it, it won't change.

Some rich and powerful people aren't asshats. Some working class people are. How about rewarding people for not being asshats instead of for having a lot of money?

So did you open this thread just to let people know that you have money. Sounds like a sideways brag to me. Sorry but I'm not impressed.[:/]
And the answer to your question is obviously Of course. Just look at O.J. Simpson. You can all but cut your x wifes head off and spend the rest of your life doing a golf course to golf course search for the "real killer." Sorry if this sounds so negative but I have no respect whatsoever for rich, arrogant people.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

If John the Ditchdigger can only afford a bus ticket, should Joe the CEO not get to fly first class?

Why shouldn't John the Ditchdigger get a wider, more comfortable seat and the chance to get on and off the plane first? I'll bet John works as hard or harder than Joe the CEO does. What makes Joe more worthy of physical comfort than John?

You prove the point. As long as we agree that the way it is is the way it should always be and nothing we can do will change it, it won't change.

Some rich and powerful people aren't asshats. Some working class people are. How about rewarding people for not being asshats instead of for having a lot of money?

Because money is earned, not rewarded. It's not "fair" in some people's eyes, but it isn't supposed to be. Making lots of money is just a skill like any other. If you apply yourself more to it you'll likely get better at making more of it, just as if you apply yourself to any other skill you'll get better at that too.

Then once you have more money you can buy more nice shit with it, such as first class airline tickets.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

First of all, it's not about being "worthy" of first class seats. First class seats inherently carry higher fixed and variable costs. In order to recoup those costs, they should go to those willing (and able) to pay the difference. Why would Joe want to pay for an upgrade to first class if he knows John is going to get it instead of himself?

Second, it's quite common for people to opine that those with better jobs don't work their asses off to get them or to keep them. IIRC, you're going to school...that's work. I've got a pretty good job, and I worked my ass off to get it, working better than full-time while also taking as many as 25 credits at once. I now work about 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 6 months out of the year, and more than 40 hours a week in the other 6 months. I do this so I can afford nicer things. If I could get them by simply being nice (except when bitching about having to work a Saturday for only time and a half when I could get double time on a Sunday), I'd go be a handy-man in a heartbeat...as would most anyone. Suddenly there'd be a lot fewer college-educated professionals in our society. In my opinion, if John the Ditchdigger wants nicer things than digging ditches will get him, he should do more difficult work that pays better.

I like nice people far more than I like asshats, but when it comes time to pay my monthly bills, my creditors won't accept the compliments I've received. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So did you open this thread just to let people know that you have money. Sounds like a sideways brag to me. Sorry but I'm not impressed.[:/]
And the answer to your question is obviously Of course. Just look at O.J. Simpson. You can all but cut your x wifes head off and spend the rest of your life doing a golf course to golf course search for the "real killer." Sorry if this sounds so negative but I have no respect whatsoever for rich, arrogant people.

WOW PEOPLE! I did not mean to brag, I used to have lots of money, My first exwife has it all now. I apologize to all if thats the way it was taken. My thread was meant in gest to the "Good Looking People Thread" I fucked that up royal. Simply put, there are different "un said" rules for all kinds of people and classes. Pleas eaccept my most humble apologies people

Boo Hoo.

Would you like someone to play the violin for you?

Again, i apologize if what i was trying to "say" came across as negative or bragging. Did not mean to. Just making a point.

That depends.

There are plenty of people out there who hate those with wealth and power simply because they have wealth and power. There are plenty of people who treat those with wealth WORSE than they treat those who are not wealthy.

In some circumstances, however, those who are wealthy are treated "better." "First class treatment" is "first class treatment." But, guess what? I've sat next to people who were wealthy in coach, and who got treated no better or worse than anyone else in coach. A non-wealthy person in first-class gets treated better than the wealthy person in coach.

How do wealthy people get treated by the government? Better or worse?

How do wealthy people get treated by the public? Better or worse?

How do wealthy people get treated when you don't know the person is wealthy? The vehicle most driven by millionaires is an F-150 pickup.

I am by no means wealthy. At last credit check, my net worth was still negative about a half million dollars. Yet many would think that I am "wealthy." I'm on my way, but not yet. And I don't act wealthy.

Unless I dress up.:P

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Second, it's quite common for people to opine that those with better jobs don't work their asses off to get them or to keep them.

I don't recall saying that Joe the CEO didn't work hard to get where he is. Only that John the Ditchdigger also works hard.

I do this so I can afford nicer things.

How might your life be different if you bought fewer or less expensive things, thus requiring that you work less, thus allowing you more time to spend doing the things you love with the people you most want to spend time with?

I like nice people far more than I like asshats, but when it comes time to pay my monthly bills, my creditors won't accept the compliments I've received.

A compliment means less than a credit rating?

btw, folks, don't take any of this as attacks on anybody else. See, I'm gettin' edumacated now. That should help explain these forays by me into philosophy and inequality and other such lofty subjects...

Of course the wealthy and powerful get better treatment. They also pay more for it.

The ones I know aren't upgrading from coach to first class. They have a private jet and a black card.

Why is this such a problem?

Sorry if I came down so hard. No need to apologize. Sometimes it's hard to see what peoples real meaning is when you're not talking face to face. As for your X getting everything, I heard someone say one time that he would never get married again. He would just go out on the streets once every seven yrs. and pick out a woman and just give her everything he owned.:P Sorry ladies. No offense intended. It works both ways.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

As for your X getting everything, I heard someone say one time that he would never get married again. He would just go out on the streets once every seven yrs. and pick out a woman and just give her everything he owned.:P Sorry ladies. No offense intended. It works both ways.

That's funny, I was talking with a prominent pilot who said that every ten years he ends up buying a house for his exes.... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

To say "all ride first class, pay only what you can afford" smacks me of communism. If coach gets you where you need to go for cheap, great. If you want to pay more for a wider seat and nicer meal, good for you, but don't force the businesses to give it away. I agree with Dave in that, if all things are equal, a lot of the incentives to achieve great careers and goals would be lost. Although I'm not a blindly laissez-faire Republican, I do believe in the power of canpitalism and the rewards of hard and smart work.

I don't recall saying that Joe the CEO didn't work hard to get where he is. Only that John the Ditchdigger also works hard.

Absolutely. And then John the Ditchdigger might get an idea and say, "I think there is a better way to dig ditches." Then he tests it and markets it.

Then John the Ditchdigger might make a lotta money using his method. Perhaps his method becomes in demand. He then decides to hire more people to help him dig those ditches. Then he stops digging altogether to run his business and starts to become wealthy. Then he retires at age 50 on medical advice.

How might your life be different if you bought fewer or less expensive things, thus requiring that you work less, thus allowing you more time to spend doing the things you love with the people you most want to spend time with?

Dramatically different, for me. My wife and I could have made a LOT more money by putting our kids in daycare from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. But we decided one of use would be home by 3:30 every day and one of us would be home until 9:00 every day. A quality of life thing for us - and our kids.

But we worked our asses off all our lives to set ourselves up for this. My first child came when I was 31. I had foregone these things BECAUSE I wanted to be able to be a dad, and not just a breadwinner.

I worked my ass off for that opportunity. I was paying my dues while others were having fun.

I figured out that you can pay now or pay later.

To say "all ride first class, pay only what you can afford" smacks me of communism. If coach gets you where you need to go for cheap, great. If you want to pay more for a wider seat and nicer meal, good for you, but don't force the businesses to give it away.

Where did I say the business has to give it away? What would be wrong with every seat on the plane being the same size and price?

But I'm really not questioning whether people should be able to choose first class or coach. I'm questioning why people who have money are valued higher than people who don't. Status, which is shown in our society by how much nice stuff you have, is more important than people. Gaining the stuff that gets you respect is the name of the game. Even if getting all that stuff means you're constantly working or taking advantage of other people (especially those who can't fight back), or even breaking laws - all of which are routinely done by Joe the CEO and his friends.

Where did I say the business has to give it away? What would be wrong with every seat on the plane being the same size and price?

No problem with that, either - the problem is that people want the first class seat at the economy price.

But I'm really not questioning whether people should be able to choose first class or coach. I'm questioning why people who have money are valued higher than people who don't. Status, which is shown in our society by how much nice stuff you have, is more important than people. Gaining the stuff that gets you respect is the name of the game. Even if getting all that stuff means you're constantly working or taking advantage of other people (especially those who can't fight back), or even breaking laws - all of which are routinely done by Joe the CEO and his friends.

The *true* Golden Rule (he who has the gold makes the rules) has ALWAYS been around.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Gaining the stuff that gets you respect is the name of the game.

It's a shallow world we live in, Lisa. I hear comments about my car quite often. I don't feel the need to impress anybody with my car.

Even if getting all that stuff means you're constantly working or taking advantage of other people (especially those who can't fight back), or even breaking laws - all of which are routinely done by Joe the CEO and his friends.

Which is routinely done by people from EVERY segment of society! EVERY SEGMENT.

Lawyers do it. Doctors do it. Ditch diggers do it. Cab drivers. Skydivers. government officials. Teachers and professors. Janitors. Truck drivers. Priests! You name it!

This ain't limited at all to any group.