skybytch

Pictures of used gear

If you saw a classified ad that says a main canopy has "x" number of jumps on it, "x" number of jumps on the line set and is royal blue top and bottom skins with black ribs, why would you need a picture of it?

I can understand wanting pics of a container, helmet, or jumpsuit since the pictures will likely give a good indication of the item's overall condition. But a canopy? What exactly is a picture of a canopy laid out on the floor going to tell you that the above information doesn't tell you?

And before anyone says it, if you are in the market for a canopy but don't know what "ribs" are or where on the canopy they are located you really need to educate yourself about gear.

Its the same reason why when you instruct different people you use different techniques.

Not everyone can picture the canopy via the description. Not everyone wants to look at the pictures either, they just want to be told what it is.

If you want to sell well to all the people possibly involved, cover the reading and the picture group, you know people call others up to hear the gear described to them as well. So that's another way to sell. Some people need to touch the gear as well. So that happens sometimes as well.

If you only used one method, you couldn't sell as much or as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Myabe cause you would like to see what the actual condition of the canopy is. There are people out there that would lie to make a sale or to make more money on the sale. When I brought my canopy I asked for pictures of the "Warning Label" and side badge. Those pictures could give you an idea of the real condition the canopy is in. Also pictures ensure the buyer that the canopy is in your hands. If I ask you for pictures and you can't provide them then you may not actually have the canopy. Meanwhile if I ask you for specific angles of the canopy and you do provide them thats a good indication to the buyer that you are for real.

If you only used one method, you couldn't sell as much or as well.

I don't buy that. I sold loads of used gear without pictures when I worked in gear sales.

When I brought my canopy I asked for pictures of the "Warning Label" and side badge. Those pictures could give you an idea of the real condition the canopy is in.

That makes sense, thanks.

If I ask you for pictures and you can't provide them then you may not actually have the canopy.

It could also mean that I don't have a digital camera (I do, just playing devil's advocate ;)).

Not everyone can picture the canopy via the description. Not everyone wants to look at the pictures either, they just want to be told what it is.

Absolutely. For instance, I CANNOT buy a new jumpsuit without laying the colors out onto the suit....even though I KNOW where I want said colors. I have to actually see it.

When I bought my Bev suit, since they do not have a design program, I copied the images, touched em up and then filled in the colors in photoshop. That way I could see what I was thinking.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I don't buy that. I sold loads of used gear without pictures when I worked in gear sales.

How about the numbers of sales when compared to gear with pictures. See, what I'm talking about is a proven fact in the learning community that certain people have to "see" things differently to actually "see." them.

There's a reason why professional advertising agencies use pictures, sounds and words to move what ever product they were hired to sell.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It could also mean that I don't have a digital camera (I do, just playing devil's advocate ).

Then it's important to let the buyer know that. In which case the buyer may decide to pass on it. When buying things online from a private seller a lot of buyers are very scared and they are right to be scared. Sending all the money to someone without seeing the product requires a lot of trust. Pictures are just one way to ease the buyer.

When buying things online from a private seller a lot of buyers are very scared and they are right to be scared. Sending all the money to someone without seeing the product requires a lot of trust.

True, but if you choose to buy online from a private party that you have never met imho you are accepting the risk that the seller is scamming you.

Skydiving is a small enough world that the identity and reputation of a seller can be usually determined with a few phone calls. Any seller not willing to give references if asked would be a seller that I wouldn't buy from.

The trust issue is why I think it's a good idea for the seller to hold the payment (ie don't cash the check) until the buyer has received the item and has let them know they are happy with it. If a seller was not willing to do that I wouldn't buy from them; likewise I would not sell an item online without offering to hold the payment.

Oh cool! A thread that I can vent in!

I sell used gear in my store. I may be full of myself, but I consider Gravity Gear a well estabilshed gear store.

I usually take a picture of the main or ask the seller for a photo. I always take a picture of the rig.

But the uninflated canopy laid out on the floor does it no justice.

Well, then I'll pack it all up and display it in the store. Online questions are so bizzare and varried that just when you think you've got them all covered someone comes up with something else.

Can you take a picture of the line attachment points? Um okay. I've inspected them already. They still want a picture. And there is nothing more I love than unpacking and packing gear that I'm not going to jump. If it was just one customer with one question I wouldn't bitch, but.....

Okay. I'm done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Oh cool! A thread that I can vent in!

I'm here for ya, Bonnie. Anytime. :ph34r:

I'm glad to see that someone else out there gets my point.

One of your points was:

If you saw a classified ad that says a main canopy has "x" number of jumps on it, "x" number of jumps on the line set and is royal blue top and bottom skins with black ribs, why would you need a picture of it?

And I responded that I need to see it to see how the colors look together. I cannot visualize it well.

So I got your point and I told why I think the opposite. :ph34r:

Now if someone wants to see picks of the lineset, well that is just a little too much.

I've sold enough stuff and have listed a lot more that I know Bonnies venting is tame. I've had requests for pictures of velcro on toggles, warning labels on reserves, and pictures of Cypres lables to verify serial numbers. Some things like pictures of a canopy.. I can deal with. Reserve pictures and pictures of the Cypres involve popping the reserve and doing a complete repack to get it. I'm not about to under go that whole process when 9 out of 10 people never reply back past the first email.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I cannot visualize it well.

Take a look at the attached pic. How does it help you visualize what the canopy is going to look like in the air compared to the words "white with jade ribs"?

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the different views on this and have already learned a good reason to take a pic of the warning label/side panel labels. I just don't understand what a picture of a canopy laying on the floor tells you about the color pattern that words don't.

Another reason is people's sense of color.

A friend of mine bought a new canopy, for her first jump on it, I wanted to watch for her on the ground (different plane form & size, not a safe way to downsize if you ask me) - so I ask for it's colors. She tells me blue & black alternating stripes.

I see no canopy like that at all in the air! She gets down & the canopy (to me) is clearly jade & black alternating stripes.

One persons aqua is another persons blue, one persons blue is another persons purple, on & on. Now, given that different monitors show colors diffently, it's not perfect, but a good hint. Plus while I love most blues & purples, I hate other shades of the same - best way to tell is via picture.

I guess though if you don't actully let color influence the canopy purchased - not much other than the warning lable is really desired. Though that is a good way to get a great canopy, though ugly at a discount.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I cannot visualize it well.

Take a look at the attached pic. How does it help you visualize what the canopy is going to look like in the air compared to the words "white with jade ribs"?

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the different views on this and have already learned a good reason to take a pic of the warning label/side panel labels. I just don't understand what a picture of a canopy laying on the floor tells you about the color pattern that words don't.

Well, I cannot say that pic is very good. But here is the thing. I am colorblind. Not black and white colorblind, but enough so that your definition of a color may not be what I perceive.

For instance, when I bought my firs canopy, it was white, yellow, and green. Now, I did not care about the color then; I was far to excited about having my own gear. BUT, when I got it, all three colors were quite faded: the yellow was very washed out, the white was dingy, and the green was quite pale. Now, I knew the canopy had quite a few jumps, but being a newbie, I had no idea the colors would be so faded.

If I had been buying the canopy under different circumstances (like now, where I HAVE a canopy already and am in no hurry so colors are more important), I would have never thought the canopy would have looked how it did when I got it and probably would have been disappointed.

So no, a floor pic as you have shown there is quite poor (because I can barely see the jade), but one that shows all the colors together helps ME alot.

Well, I cannot say that pic is very good.

I agree. But I don't think there is a way to lay a canopy out on the floor that is going to show what it's going to look like in the air. And even though the canopy in question is only 99 sq ft it's still too big to get the whole thing into a picture.

Would the attached picture do a better job of showing the colors for you in this case? And how could I take a better picture of a canopy with cells of different colors?

That pic is bad since now you've made the White look like silver from Strong

A good point. On my monitor the white does look kinda like silver on one cell and kinda like a dirty gray on the other, and the jade looks more like turquoise (light/bright blue) than jade (which, for those who don't know, is another name for teal - a bluish green). In reality, the white is still white and the jade really is jade.

Which is another reason that I think if someone doesn't know what a particular color is or how two or more colors will look together, the best way for them to find out would be to visit a gear dealer and look at fabric/color samples instead of asking a seller for pictures.

And even that won't tell them what it's going to look like in the air...

Yeah but going to the dealer or gear shop to look at color swatchs doesn't tell me what your canopy looks like. (the royal you;))

The photo told me right away that "jade" on this parachute looks more like a light blue than anything. Jade should be more green than turquise or light blue. At least according to the PD canopy color selector they look different.:P

The Photo sells the product.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

The photo told me right away that "jade" on this parachute looks more like a light blue than anything.

Different monitors and different monitor settings produce different colors. The jade on this canopy is the jade used on PD, Icarus and other canopies. It hasn't faded; it looks exactly like a jade PD color swatch.

So in your case the picture didn't tell you what this canopy actually looks like and could have made you decide against buying it had you been in the market for one. Thanks, that's another reason for me to continue to believe that pictures aren't all that helpful. ;)

I'm a very visual person. If there is no picture I end up going to an online designer and filling in the colors myself, just to see what it looks like. As a seller, I want to do everything possible for a potential buyer, so if that means finding a picture of the canopy in flight or laying it out in the grass, I'll do it.

Obviously what is no big deal for me, when selling one canopy every couple of years, is completely impractical for somewhere like Square One.

Yeah, but it's part of the "emotional" sales pitch.

"OOOOOH! What color is that?"

- Well, the manufacturer calls it.....'Jade'.B| It's a wonderful color that takes on different hues depending on the lighting conditions.:P

When selling something, why restrict the amount of information you're willing to provide? ;)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken