ACMESkydiver

Electric Bicycles. Billvon Feel Free to Offer Your Advice...

...was that a big enough hint?! :)

I know billvon has experience with these thingies...I searched a few threads but they were a bit old.

I am not wanting to get a motorcycle (I'm a-skeered of the highway and 2 wheels!! :o) but my daily trek to the gym and back is killing me at $4.30/gallon in the Suburban & I don't have the money to buy an extra car at the moment...

Wally-World has the most affordable electric bike here, but actually I'd have to get the men's bike that's black and red or nobody else here would ride it. :P I know, it's not fancy. I intend to do a bunch of pedaling myself...but the BIG issue with biking from here to the gym and back is the hill. a BIG hill. An ENORMOUS hill that's steep. I'm afraid of it going both ways...:S Unfortunately there is no other way to get down to the valley other than the highway (can't do it) or 1 of 2 big...nasty...hills. :S

I guess the upper limit on dollars to spend here would be about $800, just based upon the gas I would save running into town and back (5 miles roundtrip; I don't mind walking it at all, I enjoy it! But I don't always have time for my lil' saunter speed to and from town. :$) and to the gym and back at 20+ miles round trip daily.

I've read that brushless motors are best...but again, I'm just starting out...and I have to re-learn how to ride a bike again first (we have plenty o' standard bikes here I can work on).

Second thing I'm worried about is riding on the road. From here to town is a 45mph road...sidewalk part of the ways...then that damn hill down to and back from my gym. I'm worried about the brakes, seriously...

So thoughts? What about these kits? I just wouldn't know a good bicycle to buy to put one of these kits on in the first place, though...:S

Here are the things I'd LOVE to have:

* 3 modes. NO MOTOR ASSIST, so I can do it ALL myself; pedal assist; all motor.

* REALLY GOOD hill-climbing power. Remember, I'll be heading home AFTER my gym workouts and I max out myself many times...so yeah I'll pedal on the flats, but 272nd street hill will take me out if I have to pedal/walk it. B|B|

* Battery range 20+ miles. I know it all depends on weight and pedalling etc...I'd like to conserve much of the battery on the way there (downhill) and use most of it on the way back

* GOOD brakes -again, for that monster hill. B|

I've looked at plain ol' scooters, too. I thought they were ok but no health benefits, and no way to pedal it home if I ran out of juice. :S

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING!!! But I could buy a new car for that money. :D:D:D

So what are your thoughts? Anyone else use these pretty regularly? I'm not handy at all with this kind of thing, but my sis-in-law's hubby could help build something if he had instructions or knew which direction to go! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I reckon you should just go with old fashioned pedal power, none of this electric crap. I love hills when I'm cycling, cues the start of a sprint for me! I ride to work, then while at work cycle all day for ten hours, then have to ride home again. Whilst I'm often gutted when it comes to time to go home as I know I have to ride home, its great to force yourself to have to give that little bit extra. Won't take long and you'll be used to it.

I reckon you should just go with old fashioned pedal power, none of this electric crap. I love hills when I'm cycling, cues the start of a sprint for me! I ride to work, then while at work cycle all day for ten hours, then have to ride home again. Whilst I'm often gutted when it comes to time to go home as I know I have to ride home, its great to force yourself to have to give that little bit extra. Won't take long and you'll be used to it.

Well I'm not terribly fit at the moment. Just because I work out 5 days a week doesn't mean I'm necessarily healthy...:P Not getting into the particulars, I'm trying to be as healthy as I can, but that hill would kill me if I tried it right now. -Or take me 4+ hours to get home, and neither is an option. :ph34r:
~Jaye

* GOOD brakes -again, for that monster hill. B|

Good brakes you say? How about these!! But seriously I would die if I had to ride that thing up a hill (weighs 40+ lbs). Thats why I also ride a xc bike whenever I'm going to work or know the trail will be hilly. Also, there is no shame in walking the bike up parts of the hill and riding more and more and more untill your finally strong enough to conquer the whole thing all at once.;) Hope that helped and good luck.

-Side note: Never buy anything that has pedals from a dept store such as walmart, kmart, target etc... They have nothing but crap and zero customer service in that department.

Muff #5048

So, this hill, give us particulars about it. I mean is it a mile long? longer? shorter? How steep can it really be if cars are riding on it?
Granted it could be fairly steep and still give you a problem.

The length of such hill is a big deal. Like someone said no shame in walking up it, or down it, down seems a little silly, but whatev. But if you're looking at a walk, uphill, of a mile or something, well.....

I think you are worrying about braking wayyyy to much though. Sure you need good brakes to stop, or slow yourself on this big hill you speak of, but I have brakes on my bike, nothing fancy, and they can keep me going slow if I choose on some very steep hills, one of which I friggen live on, ugh!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Are there closer gyms? If it's money you're thinking about then do you have space for a simple home gym? You'll eliminate gas AND monthly gym fees.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Good brakes you say? How about these!! But seriously I would die if I had to ride that thing up a hill (weighs 40+ lbs). Thats why I also ride a xc bike whenever I'm going to work or know the trail will be hilly. Also, there is no shame in walking the bike up parts of the hill and riding more and more and more untill your finally strong enough to conquer the whole thing all at once.;) Hope that helped and good luck.

Really, seriously, I would walk it because I'm all about conquering my own physical limitations, man! B| -but honestly I don't have time for me to meander my way up a hill. I have to be back for the kiddos, and I never have just hours to mess around. If I did, my gyosh I'd be out on the trails and on the streets all the damn time! I'd be the fittest bunny you ever saw! B|:D

-Side note: Never buy anything that has pedals from a dept store such as walmart, kmart, target etc... They have nothing but crap and zero customer service in that department.

So I've heard...but the customer reviews on this particular little road bike were especially good. It is HEAVY (I think it's 75+ pounds? Maybe that's just shipping weight).

My sis-in-law is getting ready to take her mountain bike down the second hill (not 272, it's the other way down our plateau) into the Kent valley. 10+ miles. I was going to go with her by borrowing her daughter's bike...I need to see if I can ride it though. :$ I have to get into my workout clothes and get outside and give it a shot.
~Jaye

OK, two things off the top of my head- 1) get the bike that YOU like and is most comfortable for you- not an oversized men's bike. If you're looking into spending that kind of $$$ on a bike so you can get around town and save on gas and repair bills, won't you be pissed if it is trashed by one of the kids, stolen because someone left it unlocked or not available when you need it because someone else in the house grabbed it first? Your kids should have their own bikes and this one won't be a toy, right? And even though you are a mom, you deserve some things that are just yours.

And 2nd- if this hill is so steep you really can't manage it with your own legs, are you sure you can trust a tiny motor on a WalMart bike?

So, this hill, give us particulars about it. I mean is it a mile long? longer? shorter? How steep can it really be if cars are riding on it?
Granted it could be fairly steep and still give you a problem.

Approx. 3500 feet long...50mph speed limit...I don't know how to estimate how steep it is, but in vehicles you have to ride the brakes the whole way down it; even in a stick shift. Here's an approximation on Google. The hill part is about from 108th street to 1,000 ft beyond the D. Wickstrom bridge.

The length of such hill is a big deal. Like someone said no shame in walking up it, or down it, down seems a little silly, but whatev. But if you're looking at a walk, uphill, of a mile or something, well.....

I think you are worrying about braking wayyyy to much though. Sure you need good brakes to stop, or slow yourself on this big hill you speak of, but I have brakes on my bike, nothing fancy, and they can keep me going slow if I choose on some very steep hills, one of which I friggen live on, ugh!!!

Ok. I'm just worried about that thing...but if I go with my sis-in-law today, we're taking the other hill which isn't as steep, but winds a whole lot more. I'll then have about 2 1/2 additional miles to pedal on the flat in the valley to get to where I need to go to pick up my truck vs. where I would end up had I taken the 272nd st hill.

-Anyone know how I can broadcast Queen's 'Fat Bottom Girls' from my bike while I'm riding? :| man that would get some laughs!! :D:D
~Jaye

Are there closer gyms? If it's money you're thinking about then do you have space for a simple home gym? You'll eliminate gas AND monthly gym fees.

No gyms with classes nearby, and that's what I go for. The classes and the trainers push me harder than I would myself, and I meet a ton of people. Hubby sells health and fitness products in our online store, so it helps business if I can meet people in a gym. :)) If we get auditted, I'm taking the gym fees as a deduction due to the clients I've met there. I'm not taking that deduction, but if I get auditted, I'm showing them all of the stuff I AM entitled to but am not taking so they'll leave me alone in the future. :ph34r:

Yeah I can deduct the mileage to the gym because I deliver to a client base there, but I have to wait 'til the end of the year to get that money back & we kinda need to save money now.
~Jaye

OK, two things off the top of my head- 1) get the bike that YOU like and is most comfortable for you- not an oversized men's bike. If you're looking into spending that kind of $$$ on a bike so you can get around town and save on gas and repair bills, won't you be pissed if it is trashed by one of the kids, stolen because someone left it unlocked or not available when you need it because someone else in the house grabbed it first? Your kids should have their own bikes and this one won't be a toy, right? And even though you are a mom, you deserve some things that are just yours.

And 2nd- if this hill is so steep you really can't manage it with your own legs, are you sure you can trust a tiny motor on a WalMart bike?

Good points, good points. If I get a bike, IT WILL BE PINK, AND IT WILL BE MINE, DAMMIT!!! B|B|B|:D -And if it's going to be a heavy bike, I'll have to make sure I have a plan 'B' for that hill; like Joe being home to come pick up my sorry butt if I can't get back up it. :$
~Jaye

from the looks of it, looks like it is a bit steep in one part as it appears to go from 0ft to 400ft rather rapidly. I think though the distance of it should allow you to walk up it though with a regular bike.

You need to stop thinking about the cars or you'll be a mess the whole time. Sure they are there, and people are idiots. You can't do much about it other than make sure you are seen and are over to the side as much as possible. Most if not all people really don't want to hit a bicyclist.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Another suggestion I have is to visit several local bike shops. They have wonderfull cutomer service and can direct you in the right way in your decision making proccess. Also many if not all LBS will let you "try before you buy" for a very minimal fee (if any). As far as brakes are concerned you are better off going with full disc on both wheels IF YOU KNOW YOULL BE RIDING THE BRAKES A LOT. When it comes to walmart I cant tell you what to do, but realize you get what you pay for! My friend broke a walmart "downhill" bike just to prove they arent made for what they advertiseB| (and yes he rides his actuall downhill bike the same way with no problems at all).

Anyway, hope that helps you a little. BTW, heres the mountain I rode down this weekend.B|

Muff #5048

Oh MY.. I've driven down some of those hills on sales calls up there - they are pretty steep - I completely understand ya!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Soon you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a car. At peak times I can get around just as fast on a bike in my town.

Check this out, lunatics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g

up to certain speeds I have found that in stop and go traffic I can be just as efficient on my bicycle as I am in a car...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

>NO MOTOR ASSIST, so I can do it ALL myself; pedal assist; all motor.

I think you might like the BionX bike then. It's got four modes:

1) Off
2) Normal throttle
3) "Assist" mode that will just add power to your strokes
4) Regen braking (nice for going down hills)

Range of 20-60 miles depending on battery, type of riding etc. Cost is from $1600-$2300 depending on what options you want.

Ecobike is also a good one; runs around $1500.

You can also just convert a bike. To do this first you need a bike (obviously) and then you can get a hub motor/wheel to replace either the front or back wheel (front is easier.) Cost would be something like:

Motor $280 (500 watt)
Controller $95 (pedal-first)
Lipo battery $349

Total $724. That would be a decent bike and would prob give you a no-pedal range of about 10 miles. For another $100 you could get 25 miles out of it (better battery.) You will probably also end up buying a decent charger and a battery monitor, say another $100.

Conversion of bikes to electric power is a huge topic right now; a lot of people are doing it. Endless-sphere.com is a good resource for all sorts of conversion tips and tricks.

Motor $280 (500 watt)
Controller $95 (pedal-first)
Lipo battery $349

Total $724. That would be a decent bike and would prob give you a no-pedal range of about 10 miles. For another $100 you could get 25 miles out of it (better battery.) You will probably also end up buying a decent charger and a battery monitor, say another $100.

Bill, would the 500 Watt motor be enough to pull the type of hill described?? And, if so, would the 25-mile battery still be a reasonable estimation?

Just wondering, because for "around town" we are kinda thinking about the gas scooters...

Thanks,

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

>Bill, would the 500 Watt motor be enough to pull the type of hill described?

Sure. It all depends on gearing/wheel size/windings. If you optimize for 15mph you can get loads of torque; if you optimize for 30mph you don't get as much.

The Optibike is nice because you can change the gearing on the fly, but it's pricey.

>And, if so, would the 25-mile battery still be a reasonable estimation?

Again, depends on gearing etc. I have a 1000 watt bike (which means I can get 2000 watts out of it) with a 360wh battery that I can get 25 miles on if I take it easy, but I generally get closer to 10 miles max because I like to go 35mph.

>Bill, would the 500 Watt motor be enough to pull the type of hill described?

Sure. It all depends on gearing/wheel size/windings. If you optimize for 15mph you can get loads of torque; if you optimize for 30mph you don't get as much.

The Optibike is nice because you can change the gearing on the fly, but it's pricey.

>And, if so, would the 25-mile battery still be a reasonable estimation?

Again, depends on gearing etc. I have a 1000 watt bike (which means I can get 2000 watts out of it) with a 360wh battery that I can get 25 miles on if I take it easy, but I generally get closer to 10 miles max because I like to go 35mph.

caN YOU SET UP A SMALL WHEEL OPERATED gENERASTOR TO RECHARGE THE BATTERY ON THE MOVE?
like the old headlights of the 70's the genni had a friction wheel that was pwered by the front tyre.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?