leroydb

Skydivers with Communicable Diseases

Would you as a skydiver want to know if the people you were jumping with had a disease, virus, etc that could be passed to you?

I am talking about situtations where someone gets hurt and there is blood, or you have to do CPR and mouth to mouth.

Some of these situtations could put you in a position to where you could catch what ever it is they have.

Notwithstanding, we know you can wear medical gloves or a mouth piece for example to try to protect from certain things, but nothing is certain.

So would you want to know?

EDIT TO ADD: IRT: Possible Life Threatening Diseases
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

that way if they are injured the person who has the info could let first responders know not to exchange certain fluids

This is pretty much the status quo nowadays.
All patients are treated as if there is a possibility of contamination, here in OZ at least all 1st responders glove up regardless.

So to answer the OPs Question
No I would not want to know the sexual health over everyone on the DZ.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What if you were the only person there and that person's life depended on how you responded? If they had a bad cold would you let them die for fear of catching it? What if it was oral herpes and mouth to mouth was required? Halitosis? Or bubonic plague?

Just using hyperbole of course...still...interesting dilemma...

I think most people would do what was in their power to help someone. Obviously the rules change based on the severity of the situation...we all have that line we will or won't cross...

I didnt say anything about Sexual Health. But what about something like HIV? It can be passed ways other than sexual intercourse.

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I didnt say anything about Sexual Health. But what about something like HIV? It can be passed ways other than sexual intercourse.

Same thing in regards the way patients are responded to.
I'd be surprised if any developed nations were not doing similar in regards to personal protection for EM responders.
Knowing someones status in relation to communicable illnesses could alter the way and speed that people respond to them. I'd rather not know and do my best in what ever situation I'm confronted with.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Rather just find out for yourself?????

Seriously, I would prefer to know what risks I'm taking, but if I'm the most qualified responder around, we're in trouble already[:/]
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Never assume and always use universal precautions. Period. Any response in an emergency other then that and you probably don't have enough training to do anything but get in the way of first responders who know what they are doing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

IRT: Possible Life Threatening Communicable Diseases

As a skydiver; I would surrender my membership for the safety of others and just walk away.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Agreed.

...devils advocate...

do you carry PPE in your jumpsuit? (fellow jumper lands off and frumps, you land off with them and are only person to start CPR,etc) no equipment=don't bother landing with them and assisting or roll those dice???
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Agreed.

...devils advocate...

do you carry PPE in your jumpsuit? (fellow jumper lands off and frumps, you land off with them and are only person to start CPR,etc) no equipment=don't bother landing with them and assisting or roll those dice???

Nope. I typically won't land off with them since I don't typically jump with a cellphone either. I would rather land right next to the main hanger, notify people to call EMS while I grab a cellphone and the proper equipment. That way I can get en route to assist properly WHILE properly directing EMS for an accurate and prompt response.

Without prompt and proper response for first responders, then someone's life could be lost while you try to John Wayne it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Never assume and always use universal precautions. Period. Any response in an emergency other then that and you probably don't have enough training to do anything but get in the way of first responders who know what they are doing.

Bingo.

It makes no difference if they are Skydivers or not. If you're going to be a responder, treat everyone as a risk.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yep. And anyone who's had any training in CPR or first aid should know this.

These days, EVERYONE should understand about bloodborne pathogens and how to reduce the risk of contamination. If you don't know, get yourself educated ASAP.

Yeah, I knew I should have taken more time typing that out :S but I can see a timing where some jumpers would be down already - seeing from the hangar someone is off - how many people immediately call 911 for an off landing they don't see (ie disappeared behind trees) before sending people out to that location? This is also taking into account our visual acuity while in the air and without any visible movement from the person on the ground, it might be hard to tell whether they were broken/sprained/unconscious.

I'm not nitpicking, but as you know in life *anything* is possible....

I know where my comfort level is (and its WAY below john wayne :D) but just food for thought.

A good friend of mine is a respiratory therapist, she witnessed a vehicle accident, called 911 then went to driver to assess him while gloving up - she got there - he was a beligerent drunk driver - who spit in her face...yup, you guessed it...blood [:/]

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Yep. And anyone who's had any training in CPR or first aid should know this.

These days, EVERYONE should understand about bloodborne pathogens and how to reduce the risk of contamination. If you don't know, get yourself educated ASAP.

To me as an EMT everybody has germs that I don't want and thats how we treat them. Kind and with compassion but at a safe distance with gloves and a mask on. Universal percautions is the name of the game these days.
I may love you like a brother but i can't touch your body fluids to save you without the right gear on, it would suck to sit back and watch knowing that I could help but who I have my life, wife and family to take care of.
I carry a jump kit with me in my car and at the DZ just incase.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

It's already been said a couple of times, but I'll second (or third, or fourth) it: Universal Precautions. Assuming that anyone with a communicable disease is making all reasonable efforts not to expose anyone else to it, it's no one's business but theirs. It's your job to protect yourself.
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

Agreed.
And present medical / privacy laws fully support that perspective.
The people with those diseases have a right to their privacy as much as the rest of us have a right to protect ourselves. Protect yourself as if everyone could kill you.

So are you saying that all responsible skydivers should jump and or carry the proper precautionary equipment?

added: I found the following website with a CPR Microshield

They have a package that has a small case, number of gloves and a microshield for 11 bucks. I am ordering one for my first aid kit for in my car

http://www.armstrongmedical.com/index.cfm/go/product.detail/sec/4/ssec/25/fam/58

The Microshield Plus features:

CPR compatibility: does not interfere with CPR technique
True mouth-to-mouth seal
approx. 5" x 4.75" of face coverage
2 cm tunnel has a one-way valve and a 3M Filtrete filter
Suitable for adult or child
For use with adults over 40 Kg. and children 10 Kg. - 40 Kg.

Leroy

Only if I am sleeping with here

In all actuality I am not really afraid that I will catch a disease from even the general public.

I am a Bloodborne Pathogen Instructor as well as First Aid/CPR instructor as well as EMT.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

(serious question)
Can you explain why you are not afraid?

What do you know as a Bloodborne Pathogen Instructor, First Aid/CPR instructor, and EMT that allows you to be so at ease?

(/serious question)
Leroy

So are you saying that all responsible skydivers should jump and or carry the proper precautionary equipment?

only rthose who expect to be 1st responders. I have a complete kit in my car
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Viral load
Correct route of entry
Contact time

In all of my research I have yet to find a case of someone contracting a disease while preforming CPR.

That being said I do carry a CPR mask in my gear bag. If it is wet and not yourse don't touch it.

That'll be $200 please
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

So if someone dosent have protective equipment they shouldn't help?

I think it is usually human nature to want to help others, especially those in need.

I would rather everyone have or have easy access to protective equipment. At the very least, I think most people know how to or have an idea of how to do CPR. I would rather someone try to save someone, while not risking their life, than to sit idley by and do nothing. At the least find a way to call 911...
Leroy

I am a healthcare provider so it is a given in my profession. Honestly, the chances of catching something like that through oral secretions are pretty slim....less than 1% last time I checked - again for me it goes with the territory - so would I do it....absolutely.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

So if someone dosent have protective equipment they shouldn't help?

there are ways and means of minimising the risks if you dont have appropriate equipment. this is one of the reasons i beleive ALL skydivers should be 1st aide trained
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?