iluvtofly

Vacuum Question

So I've decided that my vacuum doesn't do nearly good enough of a job getting the cat hair. Those with pets who shed alot, what's a good vacuum for dealing with cat hair? I have 2 long haired cats and their hair is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately my budget is limited so something on the relatively low end of prices would be best. Thanks for you help. :)

I can't help you with low-priced vacuums, but we do have a Rainbow vacuum with a water-filled bowl that works great. With two cats, I only need to vacuum our large master bedroom before I have to empty the cat-hair-choked water bowl. That's fucking amazing... :o

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I love my dyson animal. it does a pretty good job for me and my furball!

bagless, easy, lots of power. a bit spendy though, but if some of these major stores...(Bed bath and beyond) are gong out of business...... Sales? and they have 20% off coupons all the time. I could even send you one if you wanted

;)

(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

I used to think my low end eureka did a good job, then i got a dyson and went over a floor that i had just "cleaned" with my eurak and my dyson picked up so much stuff that it made me rethink about how clean my floors are.
Now here is the deal, you say you have cat hair! I had to replace my hvac unit this last fall as the owners before me had cats. 3 cats and the people did not change the filter on the hvac much if any and they may not have vacumed much either.. anyway the hvac went to hell because of all the cat hair in the unit. when the guys pulled the cooling area off the unti it looked like a barber shop floor at the end of the day.
the dyson may cost you more now, but can help save your hvac unit, that will save you so much money in the long run that you should not want to buy a cheap vacume.
www.greenboxphotography.com

I have a bagless Hoover Windtunnel that I got from Walmart, and it does a good job picking up the hair from my four cats. I don't remember how much it cost, but I remember that it was a lot cheaper than the Dyson that I also considered getting.

From your thread title I was all ready with the answer, they'll both hit the ground at the same time. ;)

Lots of manufacturers now make 'pet friendly' models of vacuum cleaners, but I think it's typically just a marketing ploy. I don't see how the technology for sucking up cat hair (possibly the stickiest stuff known to man) should be any different from normal vacuuming requirements - except that the more suction you have, the better.

One technique I've used (when I could be bothered) was to loosen the hair as much as possible from carpets and upholstery with a stiff brush before I started vacuuming. After that you might find that you can shift it with your current machine.

One technique I've used (when I could be bothered) was to loosen the hair as much as possible from carpets and upholstery with a stiff brush before I started vacuuming. After that you might find that you can shift it with your current machine.

If the room is not too big, that'll help. Me, I just push and pull the suction part (it's got a belt driven roller with stiff bristles on it) back and forth several times over the area, but you have to do it slowly for maximum results.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My girlfriend and I just got a Roomba, the little hockey puck shaped vacuum cleaner, and believe it or not, they do a great job. It cost us $150, which when it comes to vacuums is right around middle range. It does a great job and cleans our condo in about an hour. I love it in that neither of us have to do the vacuuming on carpet or sweeping on the hardwood. Worthy investment IMO.

I named it Wall-E :)
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.