nate_1979

New Rig (Vector 3) Fit Concerns

OK, My new rig has shown up, kick ass, but I'm a little concerned about the fit... Not ever having had a rig that was fit to my body, I would like to post these pictures and get your opinions. (the rig has to go back anyway, I need them to fix the red stripe that runs through my white lightning bolt >:(, was gonna deal with it but I did pay $200 for that color design) ....

My biggest concern is the placement of the emergency handles, the chest strap seems like it *HAS* to be tight (i usually have it a little loose) , the sholder straps seem to run off to the side very quickly, and my emergency handles are practicly out of sight under my arms...

Another question for the Vector III owners out there, Is it hard to get to your cypress display? Seems like a huge pain in the ass to see mine.

There are not many V3's at my DZ, so...

Yes, I did just wake up in these pictures! :P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's hard to tell from pictures. I can't quite make out where your hip bone is.

But it does look like you need to tighten your chest strap and rotate your leg straps. Pull the rig up over you shoulders and tighten up your chest strap. Then rotate your leg straps forward and get them as snug as you can.

Why do you want your chest strap loose?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

It's hard to tell from pictures. I can't quite make out where your hip bone is.

But it does look like you need to tighten your chest strap and rotate your leg straps. Pull the rig up over you shoulders and tighten up your chest strap. Then rotate your leg straps forward and get them as snug as you can.

Why do you want your chest strap loose?

The chest strap in those pictures is *tight* , I used to have a little slack in it, my chest strap has never been "needed" to hold the rig in place while just wearing it on the ground, seems to take a load just walking around with it now.

And I dont know many people who walk around with tight chest straps ;) Usuallly not necessary.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

My opinion isn't worth anything, but it does seem wide at the shoulders, and the hip rings look low?

What is the point of having hip rings when the main lift web will 'bend' anyway? Javelins do this also I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The wide at the sholders thing seems true once it passes over my sholders, on the pic from the back view you can see that they dont look wide but they spread out at quite an angle making it really wide when it gets to the chest level ?

I dunno.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Another question for the Vector III owners out there, Is it hard to get to your cypress display? Seems like a huge pain in the ass to see mine.

I lift my reserve pin flap all the way up and press the back of the contoured yoke and it is very visible.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

Katie Drennan (this hot freefly chick in Georgia) taught me a neat little trick: open the right riser cover as well as the reserve flap - that allows you easy access to the cypres button & screen.

Works especially well when the rig is brand new and a little stiff.

Regarding the fit, if you still have concerns after putting a couple of jumps on it, contact Rosi or Mark K at the Relative Workshop - they will definitely take a look at your situation and might be able to offer help or advice.
I personally like mine snugly fitted, so I wear my chest strap quite a bit tighter than you - but much of it is personal preference!

Did you get a SkyHook too??

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Performance Designs, Inc
Blue Skies Magazine

Send the pictures in with the rig. From them it appears that the laterals are too short and the lift web could be longer as well.

You'll get used to the CYPRES display pocket. It's easy enough to get at once you figure it out.

Edit: Most definitely show the picture of your face. You look disconcerted to say the least.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

This location is not unique to the V3, I like the placement better than others because the display is not subject to abuse when setting the rig down on the backpad. I don't think the difficulty is worth a complaint.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This location is not unique to the V3, I like the placement better than others because the display is not subject to abuse when setting the rig down on the backpad. I don't think the difficulty is worth a complaint.

Agree with you ;) I dont mind the location, I just never thought it would be hard to get to, but it seems normal, and I'm ok with that B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Regarding the fit, if you still have concerns after putting a couple of jumps on it, contact Rosi or Mark K at the Relative Workshop - they will definitely take a look at your situation and might be able to offer help or advice.
I personally like mine snugly fitted, so I wear my chest strap quite a bit tighter than you - but much of it is personal preference!

Did you get a SkyHook too??

My biggest concern is the position of the emergency handles, they are in a spot that is hard to see when you look down at them, and seem like they might be a little difficult to get to.

Yes, got skyhook B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Send the pictures in with the rig. From them it appears that the laterals are too short and the lift web could be longer as well.

You'll get used to the CYPRES display pocket. It's easy enough to get at once you figure it out.

Edit: Most definitely show the picture of your face. You look disconcerted to say the least.

The laterals are the "pads" at the bottom of the container right? I'm thinking the same thing.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Still. To me it looks like you need to pull that rig up over your shoulders more and tighten up the chest strap a bit. Then rotate those leg straps forward.

It's not going to fit like whatever it was you were wearing before. So just try to get that out of your mind.

This is a brand new rig. It's going to be a bit stiff.

Try what I said and take another picture. Ya know. It would be easier to assess the fit, if you weren't wearing the jumpsuit. Can you try it on in a speedo and post a pic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Still. To me it looks like you need to pull that rig up over your shoulders more and tighten up the chest strap a bit. Then rotate those leg straps forward.

It's not going to fit like whatever it was you were wearing before. So just try to get that out of your mind.

This is a brand new rig. It's going to be a bit stiff.

Try what I said and take another picture. Ya know. It would be easier to assess the fit, if you weren't wearing the jumpsuit. Can you try it on in a speedo and post a pic?

:DLOL

I'll see what I can get for more pictures, and I'll try what your saying, but the chest strap is pretty tight in those pictures. I know it wont fit like my other rig, which is broken in, and a Mirage G4 ;)

Edited to add: Nobody wants to see me wear that rig in a speedo :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Can you try it on in a speedo and post a pic?

Byron folks and speedos...

She's right though. Also mash the back of the rig up with your knee.. put your knee into the back on each side then grab the lift webs and pull it around. Really flex the reserve tray. Then try the rig on with out the jump suit... Speedos if you so choose then post the pic
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

My rig does fit a bit tighter across my chest than yours appears to fit you.

Looking at your leg straps in picture one it appears that they are not tightened equally. I can't tell beacuse the red is very visable but the black is not. It does appear that the red has about an inch of spacing and the black appears to be closer to three inches of spacing. It just appears to me that your rig is slung low on your back.

To repeat what some other posters said: that rig is hanging too low on your back for meaningful measurements.
Start by lifting it higher on your back, then tighten those leg straps a bit more.
Looks like your leg pads were sized perfectly, so they should just touch when your leg straps are tight.
After we see the photos of you - in your Speedo - we will probably conclude that your lateral straps are an inch too tight.

As for the Cypres location ... That is the old school location, because sewing a window near the reserve ripcord pin is easy, while sewing a window into the back pad has to be done early in the production sequence. I am surprised that Relative Workshop sticks with the old position, as most of us believe that backpads are a safer place.
Despite your worries, no-one has asked me to replace a window in a back pad over the last 15 years.
Oh! And if you are slamming your rig down - on its backpad - hard enough to damage a Cypres, you really need a lesson in the proper care and feeding of parachutes.

Oh! And if you are slamming your rig down - on its backpad - hard enough to damage a Cypres, you really need a lesson in the proper care and feeding of parachutes.

I totally agree, but from my experience many people need that lesson, including packers, but I guess the display is apparently tough enough, as I haven't heard of people needing it repaired.

:o:$:P Awww, shucks! Thanks Kolla!

The nice thing about the cypress being under the reserve flap is that you HAVE to open the flap, so you are more likely to be good about checking your reserve pin. You only turn on the cypress once a day, so I think it is worth the slight inconvenience since you should be doing that anyway....

How did that "red" stripe not raise any "red" flags during the final QC?

I also had a minor cosmetic problem with my new V3...unfortunately mine fits and functions so damn well that I can't imagine sending it back to get it fixed...

Contact Mark Procos - he is RWS's Sales and Marketing director. He's a good guy, he'll take care of whatever issues you have. His email address is mark AT relativeworkshop DOT com or Ph#386.736.7589
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

OK, My new rig has shown up, kick ass, but I'm a little concerned about the fit... Not ever having had a rig that was fit to my body, I would like to post these pictures and get your opinions. (the rig has to go back anyway, I need them to fix the red stripe that runs through my white lightning bolt >:(, was gonna deal with it but I did pay $200 for that color design) ....

My biggest concern is the placement of the emergency handles, the chest strap seems like it *HAS* to be tight (i usually have it a little loose) , the sholder straps seem to run off to the side very quickly, and my emergency handles are practicly out of sight under my arms...

There are not many V3's at my DZ, so...

Yes, I did just wake up in these pictures! :P

Quick educated guess: Lose 2" from the MLW, everything else looks good.

Mick.