virgin-burner

what's important in a relationship?

Are you sure he isn't southern?

He was born and raised a Texas good ole boy! Is that what you mean?;)B| Just cuz he lives up here in the Great Northwest doesn't mean he's ever left. His heart is still deep in Texas. He'd probably live there now except he married a person that allergic to the sun. :(

That is what I meant. :)
John: Thanks for spreading around the right way to treat them ladies.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think something that gets overlooked a lot in relationships is the differences between men and women. I don't care how politically uncorrect it may be, but MEN and WOMEN are NOT THE FREAKIN SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband and I have misunderstandings that I believe deal a lot with how different we are as MALE and FEMALE. For example, often times I may try reading into something that he says, when what he says is what he means, no hidden meaning. Understanding gender differences can really help one have a great relationship. Talking about things that come up between you and your SO is crucial, as well as apologizing and granting forgiveness.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

"Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions." - Woody Allen

BP
:)

Didn't he marry his daughter?

See... it's raising some pretty good questions already.

It wasn't his daughter (that's gross). It was his under-age step-daughter, silly. :S

"Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions." - Woody Allen

BP

Didn't he marry his daughter?

See... it's raising some pretty good questions already.

It wasn't his daughter (that's gross). It was his under-age step-daughter, silly. :S

How old was she? Thought she was 17 is that under age?

Arent they they are still together so HUMOUR must count for alot. B|

BP

recent threads, private discussions and other things brought up this question. i sure have my own ideas, but i'd like to know what the community thinks.

what do you feel makes a relationship work?

what do people need to "invest", what qualities should partners posses (besides sammich-making and beer bringing :P)?

SEX, SEX and then some more SEX.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

recent threads, private discussions and other things brought up this question. i sure have my own ideas, but i'd like to know what the community thinks.

what do you feel makes a relationship work?

what do people need to "invest", what qualities should partners posses (besides sammich-making and beer bringing :P)?

SEX, SEX and then some more SEX.

and HUUUUUGE....tracts of land.:|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Swoon! :$;)

Dude-that's a two way street. You have to open HER door first. Evidently I need more than two days a year to be a good influence to you:P

Not a two-way street, a four door car! ;)

I keep tellin' ya...if I open the passenger door 1st, it's because I want HER to drive! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't know. . .Bonnie and Clyde seemed to work out well. They were wacked out, but still compatible.

In all truth, there's no right answer. Everybody has their own needs and priorities. You try to pick priorities that sound "right" rather than how you feel, you aren't going to have a good relationship.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

My husband and I have misunderstandings that I believe deal a lot with how different we are as MALE and FEMALE. For example, often times I may try reading into something that he says, when what he says is what he means, no hidden meaning.

I tend to have the opposite problem. I pretty much grew up around guys (all the kids on my street were boys, and my after school activity was karate), so when I say something like "I don't care." I really mean it. It's not code for "guess what's in my head." but most guys interpret it that way because I'm female, and then we have the "where do you want to go for dinner" "I don't care" "no really, where do you want to go?" conversation.

I've been thinking really hard about this lately.

Couples, even the happiest ones, have hard times they need to work through. So, Married Folks
do you have any tips or tricks on remembering why you love your SO even when it gets hard? What's worked for you?
=========Shaun ==========

I've been thinking really hard about this lately.

Couples, even the happiest ones, have hard times they need to work through. So, Married Folks
do you have any tips or tricks on remembering why you love your SO even when it gets hard? What's worked for you?

My folks always held true to the promise they made never to go to bed angry...work for me? ~Not so much, I'm with a redhead & boy can THEY hold a grudge! ...in fact I've found that 'with a red-head' most relationship 'rules' are about useless! :ph34r:

OTOH~ with us when it's good it's off the charts, when it's bad....same thing.
Fortunately the good always outweighs the bad 10X's over so it's a matter of overlooking the dips in the road and concentrating on the smooth ride behind and ahead.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My folks always held true to the promise they made never to go to bed angry...work for me? ~Not so much, I'm with a redhead & boy can THEY hold a grudge! ...in fact I've found that 'with a red-head' most relationship 'rules' are about useless! :ph34r:

OTOH~ with us when it's good it's off the charts, when it's bad....same thing.
Fortunately the good always outweighs the bad 10X's over so it's a matter of overlooking the dips in the road and concentrating on the smooth ride behind and ahead.

Quoted for the motherfucking truth my brother speaks! :D:D:D

Funny story about that first part... >:(

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

*Sniffle*

alot of this is hitting real close to home...[:/]

no use whinging about it, use the chance and learn something from this thread. actually, the thread about you and your wife have been one of the reasons why i came up with this one.

what i'm getting is that emotions play a major part. of course. lots of people dont let their emotions kick in. personal question to the guys especially,, girls dont feel left out, but when was the last time you have allowed yourself to cry? not sobbing about how the world has gone to shits, but starting with a breaking voice, thinking or talking about something that has really moved you, and you just couldnt stop those tears from running down your face? have you allowed it to happen? and actually have felt and heard your heart tearing apart?

many of us walk the face of earth with this neverending smile on their faces, good mood 24/7, all year around. be serious, this cannot be for real. and you shouldnt be depressed all year round as well. there's a time for everything, sometimes we think its not appropriate to feel the way we do and then force something upon us, just to cover it up.

if humans were to be either this or that way, there would not be an opposing feeling. its not only a coping mechanism, i'm not sure about the correct term, does psychological hygiene make sense!?

dang, sometimes i wish my english was about a gazillion times better..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

what i'm getting is that emotions play a major part. of course. lots of people dont let their emotions kick in. personal question to the guys especially,, girls dont feel left out, but when was the last time you have allowed yourself to cry? not sobbing about how the world has gone to shits, but starting with a breaking voice, thinking or talking about something that has really moved you, and you just couldnt stop those tears from running down your face? have you allowed it to happen? and actually have felt and heard your heart tearing apart?

Yup, yup yup and yup.

many of us walk the face of earth with this never ending smile on their faces, good mood 24/7, all year around. be serious, this cannot be for real.

I think for some people it really is real. They are at peace with who they are and what they are about and importantly, have an understanding of the balance of their values and beliefs.

and you shouldnt be depressed all year round as well.

But again there are, where we feel NOT at peace and we have little idea about what we are truly about and again importantly have no understanding of balancing our values and beliefs or if they do, struggle to find any balance.

there's a time for everything, sometimes we think its not appropriate to feel the way we do and then force something upon us, just to cover it up.

This is where (I think) the majority of people probably are. What I mean is we have a perception of what we are and are mostly at peace with it. But we probably don’t truly believe in ourselves or fully understand what the right balance of our value and beliefs should be. And often that balance is weighted wrongly. Some people are ok with this (blissful ignorance), but for some it troubles them a lot.

if humans were to be either this or that way, there would not be an opposing feeling. its not only a coping mechanism, i'm not sure about the correct term, does psychological hygiene make sense!?

Yeh it kind of makes sense to me. A bit like Jerry Springfer’s farewell “Take care of yourself, and each other”. And I think that that is what kind of also what makes a good relationship.

I mean we do not have to get ourselves into the always happy state or even to be psychologically “perfect” to be in a relationship that will work. Perhaps we just need a partner that will “compliment” our own balance and theirs.

The true mystery off course is knowing what that would be and identifying it in someone when it comes along.

A quesion I would throw out is... Does it really help, knowing or trying to understand what makes a relationship? or is it better to simply BE and let nature take it's course?

BP

we're really getting in on a philosophical course here.. i like that!

A quesion I would throw out is... Does it really help, knowing or trying to understand what makes a relationship? or is it better to simply BE and let nature take it's course?

that's a very interesting question indeed. over the course of this discussion here it also came up with me. i believe that there should be quite a couple of pre-dispositions for a healthy and happy relationship to take place. those will change over time as not only the relationship itself, also each of the partners are evolving. i dont think you can just be and all is good. altough just "being", taken the evolution of the equation, is what things do make work. the whole "i'm trying to change (you)" is prone to fail, which has been proven too many times.

dang, the more i think about it, the more it looks like quantum-physics is a piece of cake compared to it.. :D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

we're really getting in on a philosophical course here.. i like that!

A question I would throw out is... Does it really help, knowing or trying to understand what makes a relationship? or is it better to simply BE and let nature take it's course?

that's a very interesting question indeed. over the course of this discussion here it also came up with me. i believe that there should be quite a couple of pre-dispositions for a healthy and happy relationship to take place. those will change over time as not only the relationship itself, also each of the partners are evolving. i dont think you can just be and all is good. altough just "being", taken the evolution of the equation, is what things do make work.

Not sure I worded my question right so i will use an example. (which does not make it any clearer)

Say your driving along on a long journey in a car. Along the journey the car breaks down from time to time, tyres wear out, fuels runs out etc, etc.

Now you know when it breaks down and you know something needs to be done to get back on the road again.

So is your journey more enjoyable if you know everything there is to know to maintain the car on the journey (e.g. You know all about the engine etc) or is it more enjoyable not knowing and tackling the problems as and when they come up (e.g. just reconnect some funny looking hose in the engine and off you go again).

the whole "i'm trying to change (you)" is prone to fail, which has been proven too many times.

I kind of agree with that. Change is inevitable. If it is worded as "I'm trying to change (you) to how I think or want you to be" Then that definately fails every time. Because sooner or later the balance not only in the relationshsip but individually becomes skewed to the point of breaking.

But if it is worded as "We accept we ARE changing together and individually and the new US will grow into something better than before. Or at least that is the hope" Then that would probably work.

BP

But if it is worded as "We accept we ARE changing together and individually and the new US will grow into something better than before. Or at least that is the hope" Then that would probably work.

yes.

So is your journey more enjoyable if you know everything there is to know to maintain the car on the journey (e.g. You know all about the engine etc) or is it more enjoyable not knowing and tackling the problems as and when they come up (e.g. just reconnect some funny looking hose in the engine and off you go again).

i think the secret is in the tackling things. enjoy the ride while it lasts, solve problems as they occur. or find a mechanic to do it for ye'.. :D

if you try to anticipate all n'everything, you're using your ressources on worries, instead of having it better spent on whats enjoyable about the ride itself.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda