dynamicedge

You're on a commercial flight....

Probably laugh at the irony... I've got a parachute and there's no way off the plane. How you planning to get out?

Dave

yea aircraft are pressuized and door won't open ... you'd have to be superman to open that door in flight........

Wouldn't it be easier to open the door then, since the cabin has high pressure and outside pressure is much lower?

I think the doors have to be brought in first before they'll pivot. Not sure, though. And for all I know, it could be different from plane to plane.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Depends on what type of rig. If you only have a BASE rig, you're fucked, as the FAA doesn't allow you to jump off da plane with a single parachute system.:|

See that, that right there is humour:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Nice one Frenchy.:ph34r:

+1 +1 +1 +1 :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

They are plug doors and so are the exit row hatches. They only open "in" so they can't somehow blow out at altitude. But the cabin is only pressurized to around 5 to 6 thousand feet and not sea level. So once that pressure equalizes the doors can be opened in flight. It's one of the reasons that at those low altitudes they keep you seated and belted in. It's to keep some wacko from popping open a door, not over worries of explosive decompression that would suck someone out.

NickD :)

They are plug doors and so are the exit row hatches. They only open "in" so they can't somehow blow out at altitude. But the cabin is only pressurized to around 5 to 6 thousand feet and not sea level. So once that pressure equalizes the doors can be opened in flight. It's one of the reasons that at those low altitudes they keep you seated and belted in. It's to keep some wacko from popping open a door, not over worries of explosive decompression that would suck someone out.

NickD :)

Everyone knows that open doors and windows on aircraft in flight just suck everyone uncontrollably right the fuck out. :S
Imaginations on fire

Other: I would put on my rig but ride the plane down. Only if the fuselage or something breaks open, and I'm blasted out of the aircraft, will I use it :P

Remember this?:

There is catastrophic failure on the plane and you can safely assume the aircraft is going to burst into flames upon impact.

Imaginations on fire

First I would grab my rig. Gotta save that.
Then I'd get as many people as I could to do what I said. I'd get them to all gather at the emergency row over the wings. Everyone knows there is more room there. Now say I get 18 people. I'll put 3 on my left, 3 in front, 3 to my right, 3 behind me, and the remaining 6 can fill in the gaps between these people. Then I'd hug my rig, tell everyone to gather in as close as possible and hope that my human shield would work, I mean I have a good amount of cushion going on here right?

and I'm totally kidding people. Honestly who gives a fuck?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I've seen it happen repeatedly on a Twin Otter.
Seems to happen at 5,000 and 13,500 all the time....as soon as the door is opened, people just start popping out of the damn thing!
:D
I'd personally spend more time trying to get the drink cart strapped in next to me and the cutest flight attendant comfortably in my lap.
I'd be perfectly happy then.
B|

And oh, the humanity when they open that rear door on a Shorts Skyvan! People getting ripped right out the back, like that crash scene in the movie "Alive"! Scattered all across the sky, like they got pooped out of the airplane!
Imaginations on fire

And oh, the humanity when they open that rear door on a Shorts Skyvan! People getting ripped right out the back, like that crash scene in the movie "Alive"! Scattered all across the sky, like they got pooped out of the airplane!

yeah, it happened to me!

I remember a discussion similar to this early in the season at the dz with one of the AFF instructors. We weren't discussing getting out of the plane in case of a crash but instead what we as a skydiver might do on the off chance a plane broke apart at altitude and suddenly many of the passengers found themselves in freefall.

The general consensous was that we would probably fly around and try and build formations or fly about and make faces at everyone (goofy faces and such...) hey... you don't have a hell of a long time to live... you've got to do something... :D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I remember a discussion similar to this early in the season at the dz with one of the AFF instructors. We weren't discussing getting out of the plane in case of a crash but instead what we as a skydiver might do on the off chance a plane broke apart at altitude and suddenly many of the passengers found themselves in freefall.

The general consensous was that we would probably fly around and try and build formations or fly about and make faces at everyone (goofy faces and such...) hey... you don't have a hell of a long time to live... you've got to do something... :D

Screw that, I'm tracking like my life depends on it getting as much horizontal speed as I can and aiming for the nearest hillside or body of water. I'll hope to skip in the water and survive, or tuble down the hillside and survive. I'm sure both ways I'll end up pretty jacked up though.
Could also just try and land on a cloud.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Screw that, I'm tracking like my life depends on it...

If the AC breaks up in flight and you find yourself in freefall, I think the odds are better if you start flyin' around and find a fat guy ya can rodeo dive ride all the way in...or maybe stack a few skinny ones under ya....the blubber airbag!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Everyone knows that open doors and windows on aircraft in flight just suck
>everyone uncontrollably right the fuck out.

If you can get them open against the cabin's pressure - then yes, they do. There have been a handful of people sucked out of airplanes during sudden depressurization when an airplane loses a door.

Normally this is hard to arrange since most pressurized aircraft doors open inward. However, some aircraft have doors that open outwards - and when they are opened inadvertently, it is nearly always disastrous. In 1989, a 747 lost its cargo door at 22,000 feet. The cabin floor collapsed and five rows of seats were sucked through the floor and out the door. (Amazingly only one person was sitting there.) The force of the expulsion tossed debris into both the #3 and #4 engines, which were quite some distance from the cargo door.

As far as I can tell, there have been only three major crashes where it might have helped:

Aloha Airlines 737; lost the top of its fuselage. However, it landed safely, so it would have been best to stick with the plane anyway.

JAL 747; lost its rear pressure bulkhead and most of its tail assembly. No fire. It is impossible to know whether or not it was possible to exit the aircraft, but there was likely a big hole in the back.

TWA 747 (flight 800) - it blew into two pieces, and the rear half (containing most of the cabin, the wings, engines and tail) continued flying for about 30 seconds before it disintegrated from the fire. You'd have to exit through a sea of burning fuel whipped by 200kt winds, but it would give you something to do. First class would have been a better option for that flight if you had a rig.