MagicGuy

What Are All These Handles For?

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to skydiving, only been on a few tandems, but have full intentions of going for my AFF once the season opens back up. I'm trying to learn the most that I can about the sport so that I can go into my formal with some knowledge under my belt.

I've seen a lot of pictures of skydiving rigs, and I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on exactly what I'm looking at. I often see two small pillow-like bundles on the back-pack straps of the harness. They seem to be connected to some cables. Are these ripcords? If not where on the rig is the ripcord located?

I've also seen on certain rigs a small ball type of thing, right under the container. I'm assuming that this is for throw out type deployments, but I'm not positive. Was I right?

I have looked everywhere for a diagram of a rig so I can know what everything is. I do apologize for my ignorance when it comes to skydiving terms. Like I said, I am an extreme newbie but like to learn everything that I can about the sport.

Thanks for the information everyone!

Ok, I'll give you a quick explaination of the basic 3-handles and what they are for, but you have to promise me something. Promise me that you'll take everything you read here (even stuff from seemingly experienced jumpers) with a grain of salt. Never take it to heart until you talk with your instructors. At this point in your skydiving career your learning should come from your instructors. There's a reason for it. Even if the information you learn hear isn't fundimentally wrong, it may be wrong for you and where you are in skydiving now. Moral of the story, enjoy the social aspects of DZ.com but learn from your instructors. Cool?

Ok, with that said you basically have 3 handles on a modern sport rig. You have the main deployment handle for deploying your main parachute. That is the handle "under the pack." You then have a cutaway handle to relase your main canopy as well as a reserve ripcord. Those are located on the Main Lift Webs running up your chest.

Another thing. IF you're in the US feel free to go to http://www.uspa.org, become a member and read through the Skydiver Information Manual (SIM). Typically speaking your student progression (if at a USPA DZ in the US) will follow the SIM. Maybe not exactly, but the same concepts will most likely be taught. Remember, listen to your instructors and pretty much only your instructors for the "truth."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ya know, I almost said in my post that I wasn't going to go buy a rig off of eBay and try to jump it, probably should have. But yes, I absolutely would never attempt to do anything with this knowledge. I just love the sport so much, and enjoy learning what I can about it.

I do appreciate your concern, and the information that you provided me with. At least I know what I'm looking at now!

Thanks a bunch...

Ya know, I almost said in my post that I wasn't going to go buy a rig off of eBay and try to jump it, probably should have.

No, feel free to do so....

What you buy off of Ebay can safely be jumped off you couch and few thousand times before you need something else! :D:P

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

try this link: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/skydiving.htm

It's a nice, simple and accessible explanation of skydiving and skydiving equipment. Remember that your first jump course overrules everything and anything you heard before it and please don't go to it thinking you've done your research and therefore know everything - that attitude could get you killed.

It is also important to note that the link I've given you is only about 95% accurate and uses some odd terms here and there - so pay attention to your instructor.

Have fun.

What you buy off of Ebay can safely be jumped off you couch and few thousand times before you need something else! LaughTongue

I musta missed that part of my progression - is it something i can do retrospectively?? ;):D
Never try to eat more than you can lift

What you buy off of Ebay can safely be jumped off you couch and few thousand times before you need something else!

Joking aside... couple of years back we had some guy come along to our club to do his first jump. Anyone who talked to him would realize he was obviously just a little bit odd... for instance, he genuinely was absolutely convinced my girlfriend was a Russian spy. :S

He told us how he'd been practicing for his first skydive by jumping off a brick. He then moved up to jumping off his bed and then his couch. Obviously, he explained, he wouldn't have just started jumping off his couch straight away - that would have been far too dangerous.

We put him through a static line course with a very experienced instructor... who failed him at the end of the course and made him do a tandem instead. Just too odd to do a static line jump. :|

Strange guy... anyway the point is - I think you're being highly remiss by advising this guy to jump an e-bay rig off his couch. That's obviously far too dangerous - he needs to work up to his couch via a brick and then his bed! :D

I dunno... oddness aside it sounds like he had a nice cautious approach to progression.

You can see him downsizing by cutting little handkerchief-sized slivers out of his canopy later on, and sewing it back together :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Stop doing tandems, start saving your OWN life with your own parachute.

Your instructors will teach you everything you need to know, including what the handles do.

On most rigs, there are only 3 handles, and their operation is quite simple.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yeah, I plan on it. I only did tandems so I knew it was something I wanted to do seriously. My first tandem was great, but a bit overwhelming. I didn't eat anything beforehand so I was a little light-headed once the canopy was deployed. But afterwards I couldn't have been happier, and my next tandem was even better. Now that I know it's something that I want so badly (to the point where I think now that I've been exposed to it, I NEED to do it) I'll be going for my A License in April.

Yeah, I plan on it. I only did tandems so I knew it was something I wanted to do seriously. My first tandem was great, but a bit overwhelming. I didn't eat anything beforehand so I was a little light-headed once the canopy was deployed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

The only tandem students - who have vomitted on me -skipped breakfast!

Where did that old wives' tale come from?