skymama

Healthy substitute for Gatorade?

Gatorade also makes Rain, which has fewer calories by far than plain Gatorade.

There's one born every minute....;)

Rain has EXACTLY the same amount of calories as plain old Gatorade. 200 cal / container (50 per serving).

Propel still has sugar and calories, but a lot less (1/5 of Gatorade).
Remster

I'll back the cytomax claim as well. I know many a triathlete who use it.

I can't say I agree with the emergen C route though. If it was supposed to be a sports drink it would be marketed as such, and it's not.

Torch Hydrate, Heed, Cytomax, these are all the best alternatives to gatorade. Why? They go beyond the electrolytes and sugars needed during high output activities. This is why they cost more, they are worth it.

I have done just fine using watered down gatorade for a long long time now. When I know I'm really going to sweat because it's hot out, I take additional salt pills to help with the gatorade.
8 sprint triathlons, 1 olympic and a shit ton of training, I know what I'm talking about.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Drinking Gatorade is not as healthy as the company (either Pepsi or Coca Cola, I believe) would like you to believe; it's LOADED with sugar & corn syrup! - he might as well be drinking soda. The best really is water. I used to never, ever drink water (1 glass every 3-6 months was a miracle) but recently thats all I drink - & feel great.

In terms of proper nutrition, the best thing you can do is get him on a good quality protein & vitaman. Just make SURE that the vitaman is water-salable capsule (if it's anything else the body only absorbs approximately 10%.)

These are very basic steps, & anyone who is active should adhere to them.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Try Zipp Fizz- you add it to water. I get mine at Costco. It is sugar free and loaded with vitamins. It also has caffeine but they make a "kid friendly" version without it.

Zipp Fizz is an energy drink, not a sports drink, or a drink you take to stay hydrated.

Torch hydrate is another product I know of that would work as a substitute, but again, not as cheap as just watering down some gatorade.

They market it as both and I did throw in the discalaimer about the caffeine. But, it is sugar fee and has the electrolytes, potassium and vitamins.

Try Nuun, it worked well for me biking in 100 degree heat. only problem is the taste is not that great.
Sodium (carbonates) 360.0
Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0
Calcium (carbonate) 12.5
Magnesium (sulfate) 25.0
Vitamin C 7.5
Vitamin B2 500mcg
other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colours flavours, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Cytomax is also good, but it has less electrolytes and has carbs.

We have emergen-C. It's great for hangovers. :ph34r: Nick uses it sometimes, but he's not a fan of the taste.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I didn't realize Rain had the same amount of sugar. I mainly drink large amounts of Propel, which I know has lots less sugar calories, along with bottled water. You can lose lots of volume working in sweltering heat. I'll drink 8-10 quarts and maybe only pee once or twice.

We have emergen-C. It's great for hangovers. :ph34r: Nick uses it sometimes, but he's not a fan of the taste.

BUT...BUT - he's only 16! [Shocked]:o

[Sly]:ph34r: - just kidding! [Laugh]
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Electrolyte tablets taken with water. They contain no sugar and no salt. You can get these from companies like Zee who supply work places with their first aid kits and supplies. I find it very hard to force myself to drink when I'm not thirsty so I tend to be a little dehydrated. I take these to compensate.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Some of the flavors do not taste great watered down, but most do, especially the original flavors. The citrus is my fav watered down though.

Yeah, I think the original lemon-lime is the best when it's watered down. I usually just buy the powdered stuff and make it myself. It's cheaper than buying the pre-made stuff, and it's easy to make it whatever strength you want.

I back the people who mentioned Emergen-C. This is a great supplement to take after a hard workout, but it shouldn't be overused.

As for sweating. I sweat A LOT as well. Sweating too much is not dangerous, but you need to make he is well hydrated before a game. I had a problem with sweating when I went through Rescue Swimmer School is Pensacola, FL, in freakin late July/Early August. I could not hydrate enough during out 2 hour PT sessions to replenish what I was losing. I had to be very precise. Too little and I got dizzy and dehydrated. Too much and I threw up during the workout. Being well hydrated starts the night before, not right before the game.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

That's probably what stumped your growth. :|

:ph34r:

In all seriousness, Gatorade isnt all bad. Yes, its processed sugars and corn syrup, byt if you only drink some after your workout, its not that bad.

Overall, if your workout is less then 1 hour, you dont need any kind of supplement. If it's intense and longer, then somthing like Cytomax, or gatorade as a supplement to water is OK IMO (on my 3 hour aggressive rides, I have 2 water bottles, 1 gatorade bottle, and 2 or 3 gu's/Hammers packs). Also try and replenish your carbs during the workout (GU's or the likes) if what you want is maximum performance.

As far as after the workout, a protein / carb snack immediatly after the workout is proven to help recovery and rebuild muscle mass. I go for a tall glass of skim milk, but Accelerade would work if an actual snack or milk doenst sit well in the stomac.

Remster

He's switching to water. I'm concerned about him replacing the sodium and potassium mostly.

Just have him drink water AND eat a couple of bananas. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I can understand his problem. Once you get bad heat exhaustion, its much easier to get it again. I've had problems with that for most of my life and I over heat very easily. The biggest thing I have done to help prevent extreme heat exhaustion is to stay very hydrated even when I'm not currently engaged in an activity.

The other thing that has helped a lot is taking a daily vitamin.

The Jack Daniels, well, that doesn't help so much for the dehydration and heat exhaustion, but it helps with every thing else.:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Brazilian grocery stores in Orlando area sell cases of Coconut Water....the world's best way to rehydrate... (price is variable, around $20 for 20 juice sized boxes per case)

Because it's been pasturized, it's not quite as tasty as fresh from the coconut, but keep it super chilled and it hits the spot. I drink a lot of it while skydiving at hot and humid zhills.

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Brazilian grocery stores

That's a lot of grocery stores!

Ok, seriously though, a lot of commercially available products like coconut water, is condensed then rehydrated with sugar added.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."