kbordson

How healthy are you

So one of the threads in SC and studying about primary and preventive care has got me to wondering.... How many people really try to help the doctors keep them healthy?

Some clues on giving a "correct" answer:

Lifestyle options:
Smoke?
Alcohol?
Drugs? (not just narcotics... but also over the counter meds like tylenol or ibuprofen)
Obsity? (BMI under 25?)
Diet? (green veggies and lower portion of carbs/fat or Micky D's)
Vitamins?
Exercise? (3-5x/wk)
Prevention of infections/injury (ie.... using protection to prevent STD or helmets on motorcycles or living in a safe padded room)

Preventive care measures:
Appropriate vaccinations?
Prevention or managment of cardiovascular risks
Blood pressure and/or cholesterol screening?
Appropriate cancer screening:
Females - recent pap? If over 40, recent Mammogram?
Males - prostate screening?
All - if over 50, colonscopy?

Personally, I could do a bit better, but I am trying.

I know the rules and I break them.... all the time.

Most of my bad habits now-a-days are food and exercise related. I should be working out but am trying to heal my knees, so that's out the window.

Yeah and I eat like crap occassionally, so sue me. :P

I'm 21, 5'10", and 190lbs.

I exercise hard 4-5x a week, usually in the form of CrossFit's WOD. My resting HR is below 50bpm. I'm currently between 13-15% BF, and am in the process of getting that down below 10%.

I follow the Zone diet for my food source, and it has helped immensely in athletic performance, energy output, and weight control.

Being in the military, I get PLENTY of screenings, lol.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Thats one of the great things about being military, preventive health care checks are a mandatory item thats done routinely. The lifestyle options probably add the most variables with Smoking/dipping, alcohol,diet being the big ones. And if you have problems with any of those 3, there are programs that can be entered to make the correct adjustments. However, it does get annoying when you seem to get notices for an updated hearing test or some other test every few months.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

OK... your story sounds pretty healthy.

But... there are 4 others that seem to think they are doing all the right things too. I feel the faint sensation of smoke being blown up my skirt. :D:D

An equal number of healthy and not so healthy lifestyles... in skydivers?!

Even when I was in the military, I knew how to get around some of the "required" health maintance screenings.

I was more healthy, I will admit that. But... just being a service member doesn't guarantee that you will do what is "recommended"/"required."

I'm just thinking that people make choices... and a lot of times, when it comes to health, we break the rules KNOWINGLY, but then expect to have a hero in a white coat fix it all.

I'm willing to admit that I have broken the rules (infrequent annual exams, BAD American type diet, chronic anemia due to desire to donate as frequently as possible, RUM!!!).... how many others can do the same? :P

I could eat and have a better exercise habit then I do. But for the most part I'm very good about telling my doctor about anything. I do go every year for a ck up/pap.
Working in the medical field I'm am current with all vaccines and have had my titers drawn. (Currently I am re-doing the Hep B series)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Even when I was in the military, I knew how to get around some of the "required" health maintance screenings.

I was more healthy, I will admit that. But... just being a service member doesn't guarantee that you will do what is "recommended"/"required."

Oh I agree, and even more so if you're talking about the regular Army. There are some people I am absolutely amazed are in the military when I see them. Seems like those individuals spend most of their time on a profile of some kind. Then you have the flip side of it where a guy can have a bone sticking out of his skin and all he wants is a bottle of Motrin and a day to walk it off. Getting around the mandatory check ups is not that easy anymore, if you're going to deploy, there is no way to get around it, you're going to get checked out or the CoC will know about it. In most Commands, if you come out on the MedPros hit list you can't jump, go on leave, etc until you go get checked out. Again, there are no guarantees and I think in the Military, most of the issues can be traced back to individual lifestyle choices.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The older I get, the better I take care of myself. The only things on your list that I could probably use some improvement on is vaccinations, which I have to admit it didn't really occur to me that I should update certain shots, and drinking less. I usually stick to red wine and don't ever get drunk, but I know women should stick to one glass a day and I usually have two or sometimes three.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's funny what we consider healthy, many people associate thin or skinny people as healthy and so many times thats not the case at all.

I am a very active guy, 5'8 and around 140 lbs, yet I have a high colesterol count that I am trying hard to get under control without taking meds. I also suffer from UC and there are days when the pain is so much that I just don't want to get out of bed.

I think that people mistake medically healthy all too much and should understand what they can do with modern medicane to live a longer healthy life.

I would encourge regular check ups, but I would also say get check ups with multiple sources, and educate yourself on as many ways as living healthy as you can. A nice balance of holistic and western medical ways can often be reached.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I think I'm very healthy for my age.
BP under 110/70
Cholesterol: Can't remeber exact numbers, but it was excellent
BMI: on the low side, 19, working on gaining some muscle
Exercise: 5 days a week
Don't smoke, drink only moderately, my diet is healthy for the most part.
Make sure I get my yearly PAP and I've already had a mammogram at 35.
Oh, and I don't leave the house without SPF:P

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I'm a bloke so I have no clue what my blood cholesterol number is or what it would mean, even if I knew the number. I have no idea when my last jabs were done (probably before I left the Air Force). Weighing yourself and know what your BMI is all about is for poofs. And the only doctors that I see are on the tellie.

:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's funny what we consider healthy, many people associate thin or skinny people as healthy and so many times that's not the case at all.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen people that practically live at the gym and eat the "perfect" diet that can't last two days on the job and I've seen dudes that are 5'5" and 280lbs come out and walk all over 'em. Always get a kick out of seeing that. ;)

I'm pretty good about keeping up with the routine exams, etc. No problems with blood pressure or cholesterol. I work out 4 to 5 days a week (thankfully I get paid for an hour a day of PT at work) and consider myself to be in pretty good shape, though I'm sure I probably fall 20 or so pounds over the standard weight for my height. My workouts are based almost entirely around endurance training. As a result I'm not the guy lifting the most and I'm not the guy with the tightest abs, but I AM the guy that can go bust ass for 16 hours a day for 14 days straight and be ready to take a couple days off and do it again.
Killing threads since 2004.

And the only doctors that I see are on the tellie.

:D:D:D:D OK... that there was VERY amusing! :D:D:D

(and they do say that laughter is the BEST medicine)

-but does that mean if I were to come across the pond to visit, I would have to stand on the tv to say "Hello"?

Lifestyle options:
Smoke? DONT SMOKE
Alcohol? DONT DRINK
Drugs? DONT DO DRUGS AND RARELY TAKE MEDICATION
Obesity? MODERATE BMI (BMIs SUCK AS A FITNESS INDICATOR)
Diet? DIET IS PRETTY GOOD VEGIES EVERY EVENING MEAL CEREAL BREAKIE ANS SANDWICH LUNCH
Vitamins? TAKE A GENERAL VITAMIN DAILY
Exercise? MODERATE EXERCISE 3-5 TIMES PER WEEK
Prevention of infections/injury RIDE MOTORBIKES DAILY WITH PROPHYLAXIS
Preventive care measures:
Blood pressure and/or cholesterol screening?BP CHECK REGULARLY AND CHOLESTEROL SCREENED EVERY 2 YEARS
Appropriate cancer screening:
Females - recent pap? If over 40, recent Mammogram?
Males - PROSTATE CHECK 2 YEARLY

Personally, I could do a bit better, but I am trying.

Didn't vote the options are crappy:P

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

-but does that mean if I were to come across the pond to visit, I would have to stand on the tv to say "Hello"?

Yes

doctors are invisible in the UK unless standing on televisions. (at least for the wierdo's living south of the border)
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

:D:DYou could try by as it's mounted on the wall that could be interesting.

(.)Y(.)

:D:DYou could try by as it's mounted on the wall that could be interesting.Stirrups>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

sheeit - would you and cindy quit bugging me about my over 50 colonoscopy!!!!

ok ok i'l get it done next month:(

doc

Tell him to warm his bloody hands 1st:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:D:DYou could try by as it's mounted on the wall that could be interesting.
Stirrups>:(

:D:D:D:D

(.)Y(.)

Pretty healthy - could do better, but...:)

• Alcohol - once in awhile and it's usually just a drink or two
  • Smoke - never have/never will
  • Drugs - no illegals/have a hard time taking prescription meds but do 'cause if I actually went to the doc for something, it means I've tried all the alternative ways of fixing the issue and it didn't work so now I'm trying the doc's way.
  • Physical (aka doctor appointments) - yearly incl. bloodwork. Doctor says my bloodwork's great. B| Have not, yet, had a mammogram...doc wants to talk to me this year about scheduling my first. Not looking forward to getting my breasts squashed. B| Pap - had one this year. Am hoping to go every other year - with my doctor's permission since all has checked out well for years.
  • Diet - here's where I could do better. I drink coffee (which I won't give up) but only 2 coffee mugs per day is the usual. There are days that I drink less coffee and days (*cough* finals *cough*) where I drink more coffee. :$ I eat a lot better when there's someone else to cook for, because when it's just me, I have a hard time making a balanced meal - usually end up with just veggies or just fish or something like that.
  • Exercise - 4-5 days a week in the gym with weights and cardio...1 1/2 hours at a time when I go which ends up being 1 hour of weights and 30 minutes of cardio.
  • Obesity - have no clue what my BMI is. Hate the scale/measuring tapes, and down here I have yet to find anyone with a working scale and I didn't bring my measuring tape. I'll go with "I've had people see me in a bikini and they haven't given me a towel to cover up so the BMI must be semi-ok" approach. :D:$:D
  • Vitamins - don't take them although I know I should
  • Preventions - use safety features as often as they are available. Try to minimize the risks to an acceptable level.
  • Vaccinations - don't think I could get more up-to-date if I tried. :D
    Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I'd have to put myself in the pretty dang healthy category.

Reasons. First and foremost I've been working out or training for over 3 years now. Before that I wasn't exactly not active either. I've learned in the past 3 years what to eat, what not to eat. Although I used to be against them, I accepted that supplements are beneficial, especially when you work out as much as I was.

Then just about 7 months ago I found a line of supplements that are amazing. I fully believe that I've put myself on a higher level of health since starting to take these supplements.
    I had my blood pressure taken last week, 105/58. I was like how do you like them apples? High blood pressure runs in the family and I'd say over the years I've brought mine down significantly with working out and the new supplements.

I weigh less now than I did my senior year of high school. And I look a lot better, body wise :P, in my opinion.

that prostate screening thing though, ummmm not yet, doc said I didn't need to do that yet, hooray!!

Skymama's #2 stalker -

I could drink less alcohol, clean up my diet a little, and lose some weight. And then after I do all those things, there will be another list of things I could do to improve my health. Its a moving target, and theres always more you can do to be healthier. Depends on where you're starting from. For some people, just drinking water instead of soda is a big step.. while others are working on cutting cycles.