prodiver913

Needs and Wants

And I am very successful in life, love, world travel as well as financially so that area is covered

Then why are you complaining?

Do you feel bad for those of us who don't have your lucky fortune?

Go buy some land or something and preserve it.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I dont want land (because it isn't ours to buy or sell) and I dont feel bad for others. In all actuality my sister and I were talking and the whole thing just sparked an interest. We were at the grocery store and we saw everything and people running around and our minds got to wandering. And there is definitely nothing wrong with ideas. (my sig line)
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I am 24, and it does boggle my mind. i understand wants. But basic things you NEED to survive should be free. Water, basic foods, etc. I am an Anthropologist and I 100% understand where we came from and how things are done but shit is pretty backwards.

And who should provide these things for free?

I cry everytime I get paid because I see how much they take out to support people who are abusing the system. Welfare needs to go away, but thats a speakers corner topic fer sure....
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

very true. too many people abuse the system, and that is what that forum is for (something in my family about having the last word)
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

i dont know. technically, you dont NEED a vaccuum. It's a nice thing to have and it makes your place nice and dirt free. i would say fuck it, buy a nice one. A kirby.....

fuck me running...too funny

dude you're an extremist...

water and a bunch of other shit is as free as you want it to be. you're in essence just paying for the service of getting it to and from your plumbing in a sanitary fashion.

my previous house I owned i had a budhist guy who lived down the street, fucking dude was a freak.

among some of his antics he used to shit out in his yard so he would'nt waste the water flushing. he got into some shit with the city because he released some kind of fucking beetles that ate his grass (so he wouldn't use gasoline to mow) he failed to contain the menace fucking insects he unleashed to feed.
his house was completly sourounded by very tall bamboo that he would harvest to build shit with...

came unglued and almost got his ass whipped by a carpenter he hired to build something and the guy used treated wood. he was almost having a heart attack telling me the story how the carpenter brought the "poisoned" wood on his property

all in all the guy was good people just crazy as all fucking hell...forget what the fuck he used to call me but it was some kind of demonic shit LMAO!!

:D:D

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

very true, i like where your heads at. i would say I am a semi-extremist. But that guy your talking about. Nutjob. What ever happened to him?

So I understand the difference between needs and wants but we need CERTAIN foods (not all) and we need water. So, why the hell do we have to pay to stay alive. It's kind of B.S when you think about it. Reminds me of a good quote from Tom Morello of RATM:

"America touts itself as the land of the free, but the number one freedom that you and I have is the freedom to enter into a subservient role in the workplace. Once you exercise this freedom you've lost all control over what you do, what is produced, and how it is produced. And in the end, the product doesn't belong to you. The only way you can avoid bosses and jobs is if you don't care about making a living. Which leads to the second freedom: the freedom to starve."

I understand that people who produce food need money so they can stay alive but it's B.S and it boggles my mind. oh well. Just a rant.

If by a subservient role in the workplace, I think that had a smattering of truth during the industrial revolution, where people lived in factory towns and worked in horrid conditions for bare subsistence wages. That, however, ended 100 years ago (in N. America and most of Europe at least). Your basic premise is somewhat understandable if you look at the economy as 1 way, however, it is not. Your assumption is that the only reason that one would work is to pay for sustenance, and that is just not the case. How do you explain all of the folks that are teachers? They are dramatically underpaid, however, the vast majority teach because they get grasp the importance of what they are doing, and are willing to sacrifice the newest car, a huge house, 24 hour hot and cold running HDTV for a 'living' wage and the satisfaction that they directly have an impact on peoples lives. Same with nurses, (some) doctors, and many other professions.

I personally LOVE what I do for a living, and I get absolute joy in knowing that what I have built, managed, and invented is used in over 1,000 stores to assist 120,000 employees serve over 550,000,000 customers a year. I make a good living, and I could probably make 25% more if I jumped companies, but, I love the environment I work in, I have tremendous flexibility to work from home, from a coffee shop, and to take time when and if I need it. My Boss is a frickin genius, and 'gets' what I do and supports me. I am probably luckier than I even realize, and I work my ass off.

Oh, and I don't mind paying for clean, filtered, safe, chlorinated water to flow from my taps at the turn of a spout, rather than driving the 1.3 miles down the street to the local public spring, filling jugs with water, schlepping them home, purifying the water, heating it for my showers, etc. I pay taxes and a water bill so that the people that manage the water treatment plant can also make a living wage.

Why should you be handed everything? If you do not contribute, why should you get to consume?
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

i understand and like where your coming from. I dont get handed anything. I just got of the NAVY and saved A LOT of money, so I use that. I know that sooner or later i'll have to get a real job. But i like your point. Makes sense.

i understand and like where your coming from. I dont get handed anything. I just got of the NAVY and saved A LOT of money, so I use that. I know that sooner or later i'll have to get a real job. But i like your point. Makes sense.

See, your service in the Navy is exactly what I was referring to! Thanks for serving!

Cheers! A beer on me if we ever meet.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

So I understand the difference between needs and wants but we need CERTAIN foods (not all) and we need water. So, why the hell do we have to pay to stay alive.

You don't need to pay to stay alive. You can grow your own food, hunt for meat, scavenge food from trash cans, or beg for food on the street.

Most of us prefer the variety and convienence that go with working for money and buying food.

No money at all will allow you a certain level of freedom. You can live on the streets and panhandle or live in the woods Unibomber style and not have to answer to anyone.

A lot of money will allow you a different level of freedom. You can make your own rules and go wherever you want, whenever you want, for as long as you want and do whatever you damn well please when you get there.

It's those that fall in the middle that feel trapped.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Most of us prefer the variety and convienence that go with working for money and buying food.

And there's the answer in a nutshell.

Everybody works.
I'll let YOU work at growing the food.
I'LL build the TV for Joe so that he will give me something that you will take in exchange for your excess food.

It's one giant bartering system with money at it's foundation.

No different since caveman days. He hunts the meat. She hunts the veggies. He gives her some meat in exchange for some veggies and sex.

(We had to work the sex angle in there somehow, didn't we?):D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I am 24, and it does boggle my mind. i understand wants. But basic things you NEED to survive should be free. Water, basic foods, etc. I am an Anthropologist and I 100% understand where we came from and how things are done but shit is pretty backwards.

Well, I "need" a car to get back and forth to work, or the store, and I "need" gas to do that, and I can't drive without insurance so I "need" that too.

Off the grid, bare bones supplies all your true "needs" everything else is "gravy". Do you think that in the "wild west" they got the oil for their lamps (their version of electricity) for free?

lots of homeless and jobless and vagablond-type wanders too
if you feel so inclined, pay off all of your debts and go for it
but bear in mind "freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose"
and with that freedom, with any type of freedom for that matter, there is some sort of price to pay

Ouch!
Getting up at 330 am?! Why? do ya "gotta make the donuts" for Dunkin Donuts or something?
Wow. I thought that getting up at 4 to go drive school bus was hard. Especially on the really frosty cold Northern Michigan winter mornings.
Oh Yeah...
Speaking of which!
I WISH that I got paid a whole lot more for my job, and was appreciated more...
LOL
Yeah, right.

being homeless and jobless is completely different from being a vagabond or a wanderer. A wanderers home is the world. Only works when he needs to. Pretty wild life. I have A LOT of skydiving friends like that. They just travel the world and dont get attached to anything. i have zero debt, a brand new paid off Cooper S, and no cell phone. I am almost off the grid. It's certain comforts that I want to give up but it's hard. I will probably go off the grid completely and just work to eat and jump. True story: I have this buddy who left for a solo motorcycle ride and didn't come back for 7 years. Thats crazy. He saw everything. Both continents. Only worked when he needed to. That gotta a be a blast.

Hmmm.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.
But being older now, I got 20/20 hind sight.
Seems to be something that gets more and more finally tuned the older ya get... :$:S[:/]
Some opportunities to get a good foot in the door (in what you really want "to do" with your life, i.e. work/career/profession or whatever you want to call it) may be closed to you if you are too frivolous in thinking that all opportunities will present themselves to you again "at a later date in time."
I too know some skydivers who now that they are "older" are just barely making ends meet because they were exceptionally free and wandered in a skydiver lifestyle... eventually, age and old injuries "catch up to you"... :P[:/]
The freedom of living off the grid and answering only to yourself can be appealing but ya need a strong trade or such in place to fall back on.

edited for my typical typos - sorry

First off man, I like your sig line. it's pretty rad. Second, having a job does not interest me in the least and thirdly, the pilgrims who came over here were fucking prudes, and destroyed the beautiful native american cultures that have been here for almost 8000 years. With disease, rape, conquest and that make believe thing called religion they ruined a beautiful land.

And I am very successful in life, love, world travel as well as financially so that area is covered

I'd like to focus on the last part of your statement. How did you become successful in life, love, world travel? And the most important how did you become successful, at 24, financially?
From what you've written it doesn't sound like any of that is true. Well it could be for you, as everyone has their own definition of successful.
The human species is a burden on this planet and the other creatures that inhabit it. Such is what comes from technology. I'd like to think that technology will allow us to impact Earth less in the future. Who knows though.

I'm not sure that you truly understand how life as we know it works. The world has a lot of lazy people, so farmers grow their food. Not everyone can build things, so we have manufacturers. We need people to sell you the food that the farmer made, so we need stores, and in those stores we need people/employees to help you, because your lazy, find what you need as well as keep things you need on the shelves. This whole "model" if you will spills over into other aspects of life, called jobs, and careers. Feel free to go back to killing your own food, living in a cave or hut with no electricity, no plumbing, no light, no heat (except fire).

I need to have the things like a modern home, food, electricity, heat. And if I didn't need them, I sure as hell would want them.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You remind me of this: :)

Lloyd Dobler: I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3Syni1smY
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.