npgraphicdesign

What's your favorite artist?

I know it's hard to name just one...so name a few of your favorite artists.

My two favorites
M.C.Escher - I love his work because it is such a unique and deceptive style. His work plays with your perception every time you look at it, and makes you discover something new. Drives me :S every time. :P

Salvador Dali - I love his work for its color/dynamic, and his use of symbolism. The fact that surrealism is one of my favorite artistic movements has nothing to do with it, I swear!! :ph34r:

Who's your favorite artist/artists, and why?

Gian Lorenzo Bernini - Favorite sculptor. You stare at his works afraid to blink or move away because you know that at any moment it will move and if you blink you'll miss it.

Maxfield Parrish - Favorite painter. The man painted utopia.

Antonin Gaudi - Favorite all around nutcase. To call him simply an architect does him a great disservice. Whether or not Salvador Dali ever mentioned it - there is no way in hell that Dali's work was not influenced by Gaudi's.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Larry Elmore -- Has done a lot of really amazing fantasy work.

Heather V. Kreiter -- She does beautiful mixed media pictures that are also fantasy related.
http://shamansoulstudios.com/personal

There are so many artists that I love though...
TPM #131
People are just as the stars....there are bright ones and there are those that are dim.

Yep Dali. Used to live 30 minutes from the Dali museum. Always some thing new to find.
Aubrey Beardsley, A genius with pen an ink. Love his cafe style posters.
Those 3D chalk artists that draw on the pavements, Wish I had that kind of talent.
Also the unsung heroes who draw an paint album covers. Where does that imagination come from,
not from me that's for certain.

Gone fishing

Mine's a classic...Michelangelo. I know that's not very modern and hip, but I could stare at the Sistine Chapel ceiling for hours and never get bored. I seriously have wanted to lay down on the floor in there and stargaze, but it was way too crowded for that.

Not to mention the Pieta is just breathtaking. And that David's not bad either. :$:):P

And I'm not even religious!

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I know it's hard to name just one...so name a few of your favorite artists.

My two favorites
M.C.Escher - I love his work because it is such a unique and deceptive style. His work plays with your perception every time you look at it, and makes you discover something new. Drives me :S every time. :P

Salvador Dali - I love his work for its color/dynamic, and his use of symbolism. The fact that surrealism is one of my favorite artistic movements has nothing to do with it, I swear!! :ph34r:

Who's your favorite artist/artists, and why?

Pablo Picasso - for this pioneering work in cubism. As a child, I was mesmerized by his work... it was like looking into the clouds and finding forms and shapes that were not intended to be there. It also had a puzzle quality to the work .... yet it gave sharp lines to match the puzzle (hard to explain)... it's one of the art-inspired movements that expanded way beyond the mere expression of art... yet so simple in concept.

Salvador Dali - like Picasso, and explorer of recognizable shapes into a more fluid, less line-prone landscape. Unlike Picasso, Dali's own figure became a recognizable icon ... it could be drawn in a minimalistic fashion.... Flairful and colorful personality reflected in his work....

Wow, this is the first smart question on DZ.com ... you owe BEER :-)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Not to mention the Pieta is just breathtaking. And that David's not bad either. :$:):P

And I'm not even religious!

I once saw the Pieta at the New York World's Fair in 1964. I was 8 years old at the time, but I still remember how beautiful I thought it was.

As far as religious goes, Michaelangelo used to put the faces of people he didn't like on devils, or burning in hell, so he had the last laugh on them.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mine's a classic...Michelangelo. I know that's not very modern and hip, but I could stare at the Sistine Chapel ceiling for hours and never get bored. I seriously have wanted to lay down on the floor in there and stargaze, but it was way too crowded for that.

Ooh, yeah, I've got to go with you on that one. To see those works in person is to be moved, even Mr. Secular here. V and I enjoy the impressionists, too. Modern art doesn't do a lot for me, but I remember seeing a Jackson Pollock drip art in person and being very impressed by the power and vitality of the work.

That's one thing I love about Europe, The easy access to great art that we don't have in America is amazing. All you Continentals, I envy you.

Picasso.
When I first went to Spain I had no use for him, thinking he was just cubism. After touring the museum in Barcelona I had changed my mind; I couldn't stay away from the place. Slowly I warmed up to his cubist period and now prefer those pieces.

I'm not a big fan of Picasso, so I will take your advice and visit the museum if I make to Barcelona. Thanks for the tip. :)