Cornholio

Anyone play Second Life?

Out of curiosity, I began playing this game a couple nights ago. OMG - I have never laughed so hard in my entire life. Although the graphics are sub-par, the human interaction is just amazing. I haven't put any money on my account yet - still wandering around checking things out. But I've heard that there's actually people running real "second-life" businesses in the game and actually making some good money at it.

Are there any dz.commers playing this? Would love to hook up with you at some point. Look me up sometime: Yoleska Yallock. ;)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

How do you play a game that has no levels or content? It's a money sink... To much corporate involvement for me.

As for people making real money, it's very true.

Even the IRS and the US goverment are interested.

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/061016/116103313134.html?.v=2

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Thought I'd bring this thread back up to see if there was anybody else interested. A very well known and popular dz-commer dragged my ass back into the sim a couple weeks ago, and I'm officially hooked. Help! I'll let him comment if he wants his cover blown.

And Slappie, it's not a game. It's more of a virtual reality simulation. There is no goal and no objective unless you want there to be one. In fact, Ebay just recently changed their policy on SL auctions. They have banned all other Online games such as WOW, Evercrack, etc. from listing items to auction. However, they made an exception for SL, since most of the items that you have in the sim - YOU own. There is a sense of ownership, wherein the other games, there is not.

http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-6154277.html

Corp money sinkhole is a very good possibility. My company recently opened a virtual campus there and has invited employees to logon from work to attend virtual meetings and collaborate with other employees. It sure beats IM chat and email. :)

And yes, you can skydive there. :) It's a little cheezy, but they do have a full line of brand-name rigs and some knowledgeable people there. It's interesting to say the least.

Again, I'm Yoleska Yallock. Look me up when you get there.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Hey Yoleska! I'm Sky Blumenthal. Nice to meetcha. :ph34r:

Only thing I don't like about Second Life is that there doesn't seem to be much interaction between people, way less than in other sims I've been involved in (Cybertown and The Sims Online). I do like that there is an option for those of us who can't/won't pay for it, although it sucks that we don't get the weekly L$'s, and the only ways to make L$'s are either spam generators ("Hippie Cash") or time intensive ("camping").

It's a little cheezy, but they do have a full line of brand-name rigs and some knowledgeable people there.

I stopped by the dz a couple of times; buncha skygods imho. Nobody would talk to me. :ph34r:

I dont understand that game. Could sombody please explain?

Second Life isn't really a "game" in the traditional sense. There is no defined goal, you can't "win", at least not "win" at Second Life, but you can win some of the games that people make up inside of Second Life.

What you -can- do is (potentially) simulate a lot of things in real life or any fantasy life either you or another user creates. You can also interact with people via their on-line avatars (toon).

Second Life can be quite surreal. You could be in a "shopping mall" next to "normal" looking players one moment and have another user, who's toon looks like a goldfish wearing a bowler hat and a red clown wig, ask you about going parasailing the next.

Like I said earlier, most of the content is user created and very little of it is tastefully executed; none of it "fits" together really well.

Potential, but without standards it's not cohesive, compelling or attractive -- at least not to me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I stopped by the dz a couple of times

I might have to ask some of your peeps where this virtual DZ is. I've known about Second Life for a while now, but it was only last night (or was that early this morning) that I logged in, created an avatar and started fumbling my way around there. Time will tell as to how long this virtual world keeps me interested, but it is a novel idea and certainly a great place for the real world handicapped people to regain some mobility in their lives (not that that would apply to me).

buncha skygods imho. Nobody would talk to me.

So if I showed up at the DZ as some young hottie, would they still ignore me? Damn skygods ... who do they think they are? They're just like the real world of skygods. Can we swoop at the Second Life DZ? Or have they banned 270s? ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've heard alot about it, but as far as recreation it does very little for me. I might have to look into setting up shop for my new financial coaching business though. Might have some potential for cheap advertising.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

an interview i saw last month stated that there were more than 2000 people actually EARNING A LIVING playing 2nd Life... most were programmer types that were selling 'custom items'.

It is going to be rather easy soon enough to earn a living without ever going to a 'real world job'

there are entire sub-industries 'farming' in various MMORGS... there is alot of money in cyberspace in ways most people never contemplate.

do a search for "skydive sl"

I came across two seperate DZs in the game last night (one on purpose after a search and one purely coincidental). At the first DZ I visited after my search, I arrived to find the DZ empty and everyone had gone home (I think this was actually the "Skydive SL" though I could be mistaken and well when you ring the bell and no one at manifest is there to greet you (because it's past midnight ... LOL) well I guess they're not ignoring me but instead they are at home sleeping like they do in the real world. Oh and the second DZ I came across, I came close to launching myself into the skies. But I stopped when I did a gear check found no rig and didn't know where to get one.

Anyway ... there is tons of things to do in this game and skydiving is just one of many. Of course if I find myself spending more time in Second Life and less time in the real world, well then maybe I need to do some real world skydiving to remind myself that Second Life is not real. It's fun, kind of neat and very novel. But it's not real ... at least not in the big picture.

PS: It appears that there is no skydiving in Second Life and instead you're more of a BASE jumper.

Do you need a rig in SL when making a pod jump? I know in SL we all have the ability to fly like Superman, so maybe I didn't need to do that gear check? Or is this skypod jumping different and yes you do need a rig?

Oh and look for Abbotts Aerodome. He is the creator of skydiving in SL and sells rigs, planes, sims, etc.

Cool ... I will look it up. But the question remains. Does one need a rig in SL skydiving? I only ask this because by default we can take to the skies Superman style whenever we want in SL.

As far as anything over 90s being banned in SL ... oh well maybe if I can figure out how to build things in that game, I can engineer a swooper who does a 270 just to spite the SL canopy nazis. :)

I stopped by the dz a couple of times

I might have to ask some of your peeps where this virtual DZ is. I've known about Second Life for a while now, but it was only last night (or was that early this morning) that I logged in, created an avatar and started fumbling my way around there. Time will tell as to how long this virtual world keeps me interested, but it is a novel idea and certainly a great place for the real world handicapped people to regain some mobility in their lives (not that that would apply to me).

buncha skygods imho. Nobody would talk to me.

So if I showed up at the DZ as some young hottie, would they still ignore me? Damn skygods ... who do they think they are? They're just like the real world of skygods. Can we swoop at the Second Life DZ? Or have they banned 270s? ;)

Our DZ is easy to find, just type "Skydive SL" in the Search engine in the All tab.
And swooping is on the way, still working out the bugs in the prgramming :)
We also have a full line of gear available, or, you can shoot a message to bdtpilot and he will get ya one :)