jtval

I finally tried Vista...I need help

Try right clicking on "Computer" and select "Manage". Then click on "Disk Management" under "Storage". See if your drive shows up in the list.
If it does and it is missing a drive letter,

That's as far as I can go.
As I said.The drive is there but it is not accessible.
Unknown disk is the drive. If I right click all I can do is try to initialize the disk. I get a error "your request could not be performed becasue of an I/O device error."
If I right click and go to properties it takes me to device manager and it shows that the device is working properly.>:(

But now that we're here can anybody tell me where the other 20 GBs of my 320 gb HD is? I mentioned it above but didn't want to get diluted. My first prob is the storage device. I am HOPING that the 20GB is set aside for recycle bin, defrag, type stuff but I don't think the factory would set it up like that. Especially since it doesn't show as a partition.:S
My photos

My Videos

But now that we're here can anybody tell me where the other 20 GBs of my 320 gb HD is?

It's probably vapor.

Most HD manufactures report the size of the HD in decimal, as in 1 KB = 1000 bytes. Most software reports the size in binary, as in 1 KB = 1024 bytes.

That difference + the overhead involved in formatting the drive usually eat up 5 to 10 % of the size you see on the box.
Owned by Remi #?

It's suprising how many haven't yet realized that Microsoft is a feed-the-geeks company while Apple/Mac's approach is user-friendiness.

I've always said, "If you want to have to learn all about how computers work and how to fix them, go Windows. If you want to actually produce something, go Mac."

Apparently, with Vista, it's even more true nowadays.
[:/]

My only reason for not going MAC is that I have never used one. Hell I've only ever seen a few of them.
I didnt want to have to try to relearn everything.
I've heard that mac is great for editing etc but I use 3rd party editing anyway (premeire) so it didnt make a difference
My photos

My Videos

I just found this thread, and am having a ball reading the "recommendations." I mean just read this crap:

have you added any users, or are you still using the original administrator login? If you're not already, try logging in on the admin acocunt and see if it shows up - if so, then go to the permissions on the drive and add your other username with read/write/modify permissions.

1) Detach all USB devices from the computer
2) Reboot and enter SAFE mode with Admin rights
3) On the Device Manager
a) Delete all Human Interface Devices
b) Delete all USB Controllers
4) Reboot
5) Attached USB Hard drive first and wait for the drivers to install
6) Repeat #5 for every USB port on the sytem (seriosly).
7) Reboot and make sure you can see the drive in subsequent reboots on any USB port.
8) Now you can plug (one at a time) any other HID devices (mouse, etc)

NO added users. I have admin rights. I can see the drive if I go to device manager. But I can not open the drive from "my computer."

I get the usb (pluck) sound when I plug in my device but it won't let me see or access it.
I can go into the device settings and try to update the driver but it says it is up to date.
I can not get into the files though.

All the Mac users reading this just laugh at this s#&$. Oh, and anyone buying a Mac just to run Windows is getting the worst of both worlds (price for the Mac and ridiculousness for the OS), and doesn't really qualify as a Mac user,... just as a loser.

All the Mac users reading this just laugh at this s#&$. Oh, and anyone buying a Mac just to run Windows is getting the worst of both worlds (price for the Mac and ridiculousness for the OS), and doesn't really qualify as a Mac user,... just as a loser.

Do you have anything to add to actually HELP the OP, or just more apple fanboy crap?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Do you have access to another computer to try and hook your drive up to?

That would eliminate the OS as the problem if it doesn't work properly on another computer (as long as it isn't Vista).

From your attached picture, the drive looks like it lost the partition and you probably have lost everything on it.

This may have been caused by Vista, but it could also be bad hardware...or you may have unplugged the drive before the OS was done with it and hosed it yourself.

Good luck.

There will always be those that like to have choices and THINK for themselves and then there are the others would rather let others make their choices and THINK for them.

Which of these two types of people are "Losers" is purely a matter of opinion.

With Choice comes complexity. I will always take CHOICE (even with the knowledge that I could make the wrong choice) over someone else making the choices for me (even if that means I will not be able to make as many mistakes).

Have some more Kool-aide, Reverend Jobs says it will all be better soon.:)

I guess you weren't around during the Pepperell Boogie when Jeff's, Justin's, and Scotty's MacBook Pro, all running Leopard or Tiger, could not output to the projector, but my MacBook Pro running Bootcamp and Windows XP could. It only took those guys 2 hours to finally give up. I think it took my MacBook 1 min, including reboot to get the drivers to see the projector.:D:D

Or that there are three very large event videos that have been shipped over to us, because the owners of the video shoot AVCHD and HDV, and Apple support of shared HDV files and AVCHD files is pain-filled, very slow, and prone to lockups. Scotty B
(terrible Macolyte) just switched to a PC because he sees how easy it is to ingest, share, and edit content. No more fighting, its just about getting down to work.

I love some of my Mac stuff, and the laptops are the sexiest in the world. Our software division hates that we support Mac because we can't easily code to certain protocols, vs the PC where it's much easier/cost effective. we sell more to Mac users because they need the tools we develop more than PC users.

They're all just tools. Hammers, screwdrivers, chisels, razorblades, and power saws.
Phil, I KNOW you're a good editor. Anytime you wanna challenge me to an edit-off with you in FCS and me in the editor of my choice on a Windows platform...In fact, ANY NLE on the Windows platform....

Back to JT's problem.
JT, (whether Apple or PC), drives are measured in values of 1000, vs 1024. This is a throwback to the 'old days' when it was all about kilobytes and 1000 bytes was the abbreviation for actual Kb. With todays big drives...once you hit for example, 1000 megabytes, the difference in the missing 24 bytes means that the drive truly measures 73MB smaller than it might be listed. ie; drive listed as a 1000MB drive, but in truth only has storage of 927MB. The bigger you go, the more obvious/apparent it is. In short, it's measuring decimal vs binary.
All of the HDD manufacturers were stung by this measurement system in February, 2008, when a court ruling against all of them said they have to change their measurement system for marketing purposes.
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7243.html
You also might want to reformat the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS. Most drives are delivered FAT 32 to comply with old Apple standards. Even if you have data on them, the drive can be converted from FAT to NTFS without affecting the files.

Signed "Me," a "successful loser."

Even if the partition is deleted the data is still there on the hard drive and can be recovered with multiple tools. Unless someone does a 1 / 0 write over the disk multiple times the data is still recoverable. I have recovered data (fragments only) in as many as three rewrites of the disk but with just deleted files or corrupted partitions I can recover the vast majority of the data or even the corrupted boot sector to get the drive back online.

Unplugging hard drives with out safely removing them is a major issue and will corrupt a drive faster then you want to know.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've often wondered when, where, and why that change from 1024 to 1000 happened.
It wasn't in the "old days" though.
1024 WAS the original standard...

"kilo", "mega", etc are SI prefixes. SI prefixes have always referred to power of 10, not powers of 2. The use of SI prefixes in the computer profession is a misuse of their meaning.

There have been a separate of prefixes defined since 1999 for binary use, but I don't see them used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There will always be those that like to have choices and THINK for themselves and then there are the others would rather let others make their choices and THINK for them.

Which of these two types of people are "Losers" is purely a matter of opinion.

With Choice comes complexity. I will always take CHOICE (even with the knowledge that I could make the wrong choice) over someone else making the choices for me (even if that means I will not be able to make as many mistakes).

Have some more Kool-aide, Reverend Jobs says it will all be better soon.:)

For a lot of computer users choice is not good...I work for one of them...and a Mac is a much better computer for him to use. The simpler everything is for him the better. My mother-in-law is another...she's way better off with her Mac than she was with a PC. I'm happy with my Macs and have been for 10 years now. I still use XP under virtualization for tax programs and it works fine for my limited usage.

However, I do think JTVal should avoid Microsoft's next product line and wait for the Apple line mentioned at the end of the linked article. ;)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

HAHA I'll avoid the tshirts.

DSE,
You said

You also might want to reformat the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS. Most drives are delivered FAT 32 to comply with old Apple standards. Even if you have data on them, the drive can be converted from FAT to NTFS without affecting the files.

So If I am ever able to access my drive are you saying I could reformat without losing the files? I thought reformatting was a clean sweep of info.
I guess,though, If I could access the drive to reformat I would be able to see/use/access my files.

another question,
I have a card that I can plug an internal hard drive to and use it as an external I.E. for crash recovery.
I used it for my last laptop HD that took a shit.
DO you think the MY Book HD is the same? Could I use the card to retreive my life?
My photos

My Videos

I've always said, "If you want to have to learn all about how computers work and how to fix them, go Windows. If you want to actually produce something, go Mac."

Apparently, with Vista, it's even more true nowadays.
[:/]

yeah...right. Care to compare produced content?
How many of each have you recently owned?

I'll pony up. The current stable has a population of 2 Macs and 7 Win-x boxes. Those that actually "produce content": 2 Macs and 2 Win-x boxes. They're all just tools.

My next computer will be a multi-tool. It will be a machine that runs Windows, Linux, and MacOS. It will be made by Apple and like all the others it will work.

- David

(clarification: those are numbers for the boxes at my house that get used, work is different)
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

It will be made by Apple and like all the others it will work.

- David

didn't you hear? 'Puters that run Windows on a Mac are for losers. :P

JT, you can't REFORMAT, but rather convert from FAT to NTFS. You CAN usually recover all files from a destroyed drive, however. Data recovery is pretty solid these days.

JT, you can't REFORMAT, but rather convert from FAT to NTFS. You CAN usually recover all files from a destroyed drive, however. Data recovery is pretty solid these days.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear about data recovery. I'm hoping I can get the stuff off that drive (or get the drive to work)

It totally sucked because my laptop AND my backup both shit on me at the same time.
My photos

My Videos

If you can't, drop me a note at my personal addy... I might be of some assistance. Phree is also an expert at data recovery.
We have fairly extensive data recovery software that wasn't cheep...it can rebuild large RAIDS relatively fast, if you call a coupla days "fast."
Quite often on the cheap "bookshelf" drives, the power supply, logic system are what take a dump, but the drive itself is often fine and so you can jerk the drive out, grab a Weibetec harness, and Xfer everything before putting the drive in another housing.

If its any condolence, the beta of 7 i have seems to work better than vista.

I have 1 mac, 2 ubuntu machines, 1 vista and 1 xp. All good at different things, but in terms of "just working" apple is the best, vista is the worst, ubuntu is somewhere in the middle.
Never try to eat more than you can lift