adietkin

racer

Do a search...

and get as many opinons from those who you respect as you can. My firsdt rig was a Racer because the first teacher, dzo, and person who had a gear biz used to use scare tactics about pull-outs and "going in" till the cows came home. I definitely thought that a vector (or any other throw-out system) would be my undoing.

Cant stress how important it is to do your homework and consider the source when it comes to solicited or unsolicited advice.

and that's all she wrote!

Racers are built with a minimalist design philosophy; the less there is, the less that can go wrong. Four flaps, four flaps, and arguably the most comfortable harness on the market.

Racers have the best reserve pin coverage available. The pins are on the backpad of the rig, instead of on the outside.

I have seen many skydivers that won't jump anything but a Racer unless it is free. No other rig seems to have the cult like following that Racer has.

For Great Deals on Gear

I learnt my reserve rating from a Racer dealer and find that they take no longer to do than any other rig and in some ways are easier. The adjustable loops makes closing a dream. The extra couple of preperation steps are just a matter of practice. any rigger who has trouble with them shoud RTFM :|
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

racer yes or no & why??
thanks

I have a racer NOS (with all the velcro on riser covers and down the sides). I LOVE it but may look at the power racer 2k3 if I ever bought another rig (most likely will NOT since a rig does not make you get more points or fly faster under canopy). I would say the advantages and disadvantates are:

advantages...
comfort
customer service top notch
simple and proven design (ie minimalist)
lightweight
hip rings not required for proper fit - in fact do not get them they are a waste of cash.
fit for small women arguably the best available
spare parts are low cost
reserve pin protection
sets you apart from the crowd - they are not popular at most DZs.

disadvantages
you need to have a rigger who is talented enough and willing to pack racers well.
If you want an AAD, a 2 pin is required.
If you want to just blend in not for you - not popular at most DZs.
packers are not used to them - they need to be coached at first (even at Deland)
distintive looks (I view this as an advantage)
velco needs replacing on NOS every 200 jumps (there is NO velcro on the 2k3)
NOS and 2000 models not the best fchoice or freeflying (but are fine for RW)

If the Velcro is well maintained, riser security is not an issue. I've seen very good freeflyers jumps pre 2k3 Racers without any problems.

If the Velcro wears out (lack of maintenance) then it is a different story.

If the Velcro is well maintained, riser security is not an issue. I've seen very good freeflyers jumps pre 2k3 Racers without any problems.

If the Velcro wears out (lack of maintenance) then it is a different story.

I don't know about free fly - not my thing at all and never will be. But if someone is buying a new rig and you can still choose between the elite NOS, elite 2000 and 2k3, I'd recommend the 2k3 - I think all will agree it is bulletproof.

someone mentioned the velcro on the reserve flap. Who cares if it still has velcro on the 2k3 - it is against your back....

rm

But if someone is buying a new rig and you can still choose between the elite NOS, elite 2000 and 2k3, I'd recommend the 2k3 - I think all will agree it is bulletproof.

The 2K3 is bombproof for any type of skydiving,no doubt. However, you can order the Elite NOS, Elite 2000 or any of Jump Shacks containers without velcro and with the new tuck tabs on the risers. All you have to do is specify it on your order form. In fact, JS is pretty much the only container maker out there that will build you a container beyond the standard options normally offered by other companies.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You will never convince me of this due to the fact I've been witness of too many old racers coming open. New velcro, old velcro, it didn't matter.

I would have to question the velcro mating process at packing. I've seen way to much Racer freeflying video without problems to believe it's a poor design. Mate the riser covers incorrectly a handful of times, though, and it wears out prematurely.

Of course the old racers without walrus teeth were none to expose the main pin, but that has long since been fixed.

yes: pin protection because its on your back, 4 flaps for fast reserve deployment (and pop-top), comfortable, looks.

do they still use velcro to close the reserve pin protector on the inside of backpack?

I have never jumped a racer, but looks? really? That picture you posted and the rigs I have seen in person do not make racers look very appealing visually.

I guess to each his own.:)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I've seen 2 baglocks from the side coming open.

If air is allowed to get in at the top of the side cover, it simply peels open and exposes the entire riser. If one riser is out, all the free stowed line from the main container is pulled out and it starts working on the line stows.

Larger rigs have more of an issue with this.

Flying just on the head is one thing, but doing multiple weedeaters is another. I believe you, some work just fine ... mostly, but I can assure you that when a side comes open it can become rather exciting. That's putting mildly.

Please don't encourage someone to buy an old racer to freefly with. It's not a good design for freeflying.

We know how to mate velcro properly by the way ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

whith my old racer , I had a toogle flying around while head down , when I watched my altimeter to open , I saw the the toogle flying entangled on my arm , good I managed to to take it away , and opened hoping the best .
Anyway I cant speak about the 2k3 , but with old model racers you hace to pay much more atention , and if you go really fast head down , velcro will open .
I am no expert but It happened two times to me , so I had to share it . thanks to my xaos , that opened ok both times with one toogle out.;)