ryoder

Credit card fraud

I just found an unauthorized charge over $1000 on my credit card.
I filed an inquiry on it with my cc company, canceled the card, and they are issuing a new one.
The cc company also informed me they denied about 4 other suspicious charge attempts.

I called the company that made the charge, and got the name and shipping address.
The name sounds generic enough, that it might be bogus.
I have looked at the address in Google Streeview and it is a residential neighborhood.

So I need suggestions for how to maximize pain and suffering to the perp while avoiding charges against myself.
I would love to show up in the asshole's doorstep, but it is 2000 miles away.
Anyone here live near South Portland, Maine? >:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just a thought, but it might not be him.
It might be that the thief knows the schedule of the people who live there and is just using it as a drop without their knowledge.
The homeowners might be in Florida or Arizona for the winter for example.

I can sympathize with your desires, but make damned sure you have the real thief before you take any action.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It might be that the thief knows the schedule of the people who live there and is just using it as a drop without their knowledge.

I can sympathize with your desires, but make damned sure you have the real thief before you take any action.

Ok, listen up bub. This is the bonfire.

We will not have this rational thought in here.

Mail them a pipe bomb. What could go wrong?

I just talked to the South Portland PD.
They advised me to file the report with my local PD, and that my local PD will probably contact them to drop in for a visit.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Motherfuckers like this should have their hands amputated with a fucking band saw.>:(>:(>:( I HATE a thief. They (to me) rank right down there with murderers, rapist and child molesters.

You're not out any money are you? Notify the local LE in the town of said shipping address and hopefully they can pick this bastard up.

Muff #5048

I think you missed the part about "avoiding charges against myself".>:(

Motherfuckers like this should have their hands amputated with a fucking band saw.>:(>:(>:( I HATE a thief. They (to me) rank right down there with murderers, rapist and child molesters.

You're not out any money are you? Notify the local LE in the town of said shipping address and hopefully they can pick this bastard up.

Hey! I just noticed your avatar! How far are you from S. Portland?
Can you swing a crowbar while screaming:
"You see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you f*** a stranger in the ass?">:(

Ok, listen up bub. This is the bonfire.

We will not have this rational thought in here.

I don't think they have internet access in prison.
Ryoder is way too cool to lose here.

Oops, another rational thought. Sorry 'bout thatB|
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hey! I just noticed your avatar! How far are you from S. Portland?
Can you swing a crowbar while screaming:
"You see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you f*** a stranger in the ass?">:(

"Calmer than you are, Dude"
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Well, you've got the jerk's address.Start signing him up for every scrap of junk mail you can possibly find.Yes this is fairly passive,but it could be fun too if you get creative.:)

Kidding aside, that could arguably be coinsidered to be using the US Mails for the purpose of impersonating another person without his permission. Don't wanna risk being charged with a federal offense by some bored postal inspector or assistant US Attorney with nothing better to do; win or lose, it could be a costly prospect.

I got hit a few months back when I went out to Elsinore. I'm still fighting the CC company. They tell me they fixed everything, then I get charges put against me again. Riverside Sherriffs don't take action because the CC company already is on it... It's bullshit!!! >:(

The CC company is AmEx. I have always had very good service from them and have been impressed how closely they monitor activity. They just recently did a chargeback to a clueless vendor that charged my card, waited two weeks to tell me they didn't have the product I ordered, then never refunded the money. On occasion AmEx has called me to verify the validity of charges when I ordered parts from a half dozen different vendors for a project I was doing. Also note that in this case, they had already denied other charges from this crook before I even contacted them.

You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain...

A world of pain...

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, I now have a copy of the invoice (for 5 Jabra wireless headsets), with a name, address, phone number, and email address. I am filling out a complaint with the local PD, and they also pointed me to the FBI's online site for filing complaints:

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Hopefully, I can do my best to help the perp enter a world of pain.>:(

And man, those wireless headsets really tied the room together...:ph34r:

This is one of those rare times when credit cards make more sense than debit cards. Good thing it didn't come out of your checking account.

Yesterday, I ordered a server from England and it was denied, followed up by a call from Wells Fargo asking if it was legit. I guess I'd rather them be too safe, than not safe enough.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

This is one of those rare times when credit cards make more sense than debit cards. Good thing it didn't come out of your checking account.

I would never carry a debit card.
My CU sent me an unsolicited once once, and I immediately canceled it.

Yesterday, I ordered a server from England and it was denied, followed up by a call from Wells Fargo asking if it was legit. I guess I'd rather them be too safe, than not safe enough.

The merchant who provided the invoice was nice enough, but I gave them grief about accepting an order billed to one name + address, and then shipping it to another name + address 2000 miles away.

Dont forget... Im pretty sure since he had it mailed, that would be mail fraud... not sure if USPS handles that, but I coulda sworn it was one of those 3 letter agencies
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Dont forget... Im pretty sure since he had it mailed, that would be mail fraud... not sure if USPS handles that, but I coulda sworn it was one of those 3 letter agencies

It went by UPS, so I don't think that would be as prosecutable as USPS.[:/]

I finished the online FBI complaint, and I just printed out and filled out the forms for the local PD, and am off to deliver them.

Edit: Just got back from the PD. I need to wait for them to put a number on the report, then get a copy of their record, and FAX it to the PD in South Portland, ME.

Probably some address that was either chosen at random, or possibly a house with no one living there. The thief just picks the packages up off the front doorstep. If hes smart enough to steal your credit card information from 2000 miles away, then hes smart enough to not mail the stuff directly to himself.