happythoughts

gear checks

I only give 'real' pin checks to people I like, everyone else gets a fake one with a 'it's all-good' pat on the back.

That's a fantastic attitude. Remind me never to jump with you. I'm sure you'll feel just great if one of those people you gave a "fake" pin check ended up injured from a malfunction of some sort.

I only give 'real' pin checks to people I like, everyone else gets a fake one with a 'it's all-good' pat on the back.

That's a fantastic attitude. Remind me never to jump with you. I'm sure you'll feel just great if one of those people you gave a "fake" pin check ended up injured from a malfunction of some sort.

I wasn't being serious... guess I should have added a ;) or a :S or a :P

Now checking to see if the PC is cocked that's a whole different story.:ph34r:
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

wow, your tone is so nice, u'd be the last i'd ask.. :S

based on everything you know and everything he knows, you both believe you are right.

i know and respect him as a world record holder in
two disciplines. you made a trivial and irritating
response. i don't know why he tries sometimes.

i also expect that he knows your rig better than you.
especially on such a minor detail.

personally, i was on an otter last weekend and sat against
the rear bulkhead on the floor. there are bolts that
attach the seatbelts to the wall.
they frequently snag just about everything on the back
of a rig.

a little loose bridle, pc, pins, flaps. all those snag points are back there and i was leaning against that wall.
when being seated, moving about, or standing up -
something might have caught.

i asked for a pin and gear check.

considering all those items, do you ask for gear check
when seated in that spot? i encourage it.

In defense of virgin-burner, I can understand some of his point and IMHO, it's valid.

I, too, am very picky about who checks my gear for me.

And yes, trust is major part of that decision.
For example, many experienced people seem to think that a simple main pin check only includes checking one thing and completely neglecting the rest.

I always ask:
1. Is the pin fully seated and positioned with a smiley face?
2. Do you see the color in the inspection window for my collapsible PC?
3. Is the bridle routed correctly?
4. Does the flap completely cover the bridle?
5. Will you please NOT slap the rig when you finish...particularly the reserve flap?

...among other things.

And with all due respect to Kevin, as well-respected as he is, I wouldn't ask him for a pin check without first making sure that he knows to check all those things.

To my embarrassment, I learned this the hard way. putting my rig on while running in a mad rush to the plane, I did not check my own pin...I asked for, and got, one from an experienced jumper before exiting with my PCIT by a misrouted bridle.

Funny how crap happens at the most inopportune times and in combinations.
-Different packer
-Mad rush
-Trusting an experienced skydiver
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

very un-expected and even more so, well appreciated..

my ****** is really tight.. and at least the grommet sticks out.. so yea, MOST people think it's wrong, but really, it's just the way it is..

and yea, i STILL think i'm a licensed skydiver and should know damn well if everything is in place BEFORE i put my rig on.. at least, that's how i was thaught.. :S

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and yea, i STILL think i'm a licensed skydiver and should know damn well if everything is in place BEFORE i put my rig on.. at least, that's how i was thaught.

Who here said that it's ok not to know how your rig should be? You seem to be equating the request for a pin check with an admission of ignorance of your gear. I check my rig before I put it on, but I still request a pin check prior to exit.

I also agree with popsjumper on having my gear checked by someone I trust, but I still request pin checks from such people. It really seems to me like more of an ego thing. I see it often. People get off student status and start to think that they know what they're doing now. They don't need help. They can handle this all themselves. Thinking like that has killed a few people.

You say you don't like people messing around with your rig because it's "different", yet you mentioned that you get asked often about it and you don't mind telling people, so what is stopping you from explaining or showing your skydiving friends your rig and what to look for and having them give you a pin check? If the people next to in the plane are not one of your friends familiar with your rig, what is stopping you from telling someone in the plane what to look for before they check your pin?

I'm picky about who checks my pin on my CRW gear, because many of skydivers have never done CRW and freak out when they see some of the shit hanging off of a typical CRW rig. When I'm doing CRW, there will be at least one other CRW jumper next to me on the plane, however, so we check each other's pin. problem solved.

While I can accept the desire to have someone you trust check your pin, this is hardly an insurmountable problem. I'm not following why you think it is.

personally, i was on an otter last weekend and sat against
the rear bulkhead on the floor. there are bolts that
attach the seatbelts to the wall.
they frequently snag just about everything on the back
of a rig.

a little loose bridle, pc, pins, flaps. all those snag points are back there and i was leaning against that wall.
when being seated, moving about, or standing up -
something might have caught.

i asked for a pin and gear check.

considering all those items, do you ask for gear check
when seated in that spot? i encourage it.

I always ask for a gear check from another experienced jumper. I am vigilant about asking for a pin check in the plane if I have been anywhere close to leaning against anything in the plane. Too many possibilities of rubbing against something even when I am careful!

Of course, I'm just barely off student status so what do I know?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

dont do it here.. if it hasnt been smashed around or rubbed extensively on the ride up, otherwise, i'll be the first to do so..

Other people have thought the same thing and been wrong. As I said before, you're never too good to not request a pin check. Despite your best efforts, things can happen on the ride to altitude that you may not be aware of. For your sake, I just hope that should anything like that happen to you, it doesn't kill you.

dont do it here.. if it hasnt been smashed around or rubbed extensively on the ride up, otherwise, i'll be the first to do so..

Other people have thought the same thing and been wrong. As I said before, you're never too good to not request a pin check. Despite your best efforts, things can happen on the ride to altitude that you may not be aware of. For your sake, I just hope that should anything like that happen to you, it doesn't kill you.

That should work, because you scream yooyoo to scare the invisible elephants away from the trees.
Have you seen any invisible elephant on the trees?
See? It is _working_ perfectly.

If you can not jump without someone else blessing that is your private problem. I do every check before getting my gear on. I do ask for a pin check if I have a 2nd though. I keep my eyes open and tell if I see something usual. I can check you if you ask it so. Anyway: mind your own business.

very un-expected and even more so, well appreciated..

my ****** is really tight.. and at least the grommet sticks out.. so yea, MOST people think it's wrong, but really, it's just the way it is..

and yea, i STILL think i'm a licensed skydiver and should know damn well if everything is in place BEFORE i put my rig on.. at least, that's how i was thaught.. :S

Let me guess, had to go with the Mircon so that you can look cool, and now the main barely fits?

My buddy did that, now his closing loop is so long, the pin is exposed when the container is closed. Oh well, at least it says "Micron" on the side!
BASE 1384

1. Is the pin fully seated and positioned with a smiley face?
2. Do you see the color in the inspection window for my collapsible PC?
3. Is the bridle routed correctly?
4. Does the flap completely cover the bridle?
5. Will you please NOT slap the rig when you finish...particularly the reserve flap?

Thanks for spelling this out.
Before I put my rig on, I check #2 myself. If it is right when I check it, it will still be right when I jump.
Same with #3.
If I'm concerned by rubbing against something, I will ask someone to check #1 and #4, but by being careful on the plane, and checking with my hand, I seldom have that concern, so I usually don't have to worry about #5.
Yeah, I'm arrogant. Anybody that doesn't like it, feel free to wring your hands and cry.
But what do I know?

"...

"

Agreed!
That practice fell out of fashion at Pitt Meadows after the grumpy, old, grey-bearded Master Rigger replaced too many cracked stiffeners in pin covers.
Now the fashion is to stare at both main and reserve pins, gently close pin covers, slap the jumper on the shoulder, give him a thumbs up and say "Pins are good!"

That should work, because you scream yooyoo to scare the invisible elephants away from the trees.
Have you seen any invisible elephant on the trees?
See? It is _working_ perfectly.

You're analogy is flawed. You're suggesting that potential problems with pin, bridle and pilot chute don't exist and that even if they did, a visual inspection by someone would not provide any means to address them. While such problems may be rare compared to the number of jumps made without issue, there are stories of problems with pin, bridle or pilot chute that are visually apparent. There are also incidents of fatalities and injuries caused by pilot chute in tow or premature deployment.

If you can not jump without someone else blessing that is your private problem. I do every check before getting my gear on. I do ask for a pin check if I have a 2nd though. I keep my eyes open and tell if I see something usual. I can check you if you ask it so. Anyway: mind your own business.

Give me a break! I'll give you that my closing sentence may have been melodramatic. I don't have a problem if he wants to do all his own checks on his gear. I don't think it wise, but that's his decision. What I take issue with is the suggestion that real skydivers don't need pin checks and the implication that asking for a pin check is tantamount to admitting ignorance of your own gear.

You're analogy is flawed. You're suggesting that potential problems with pin, bridle and pilot chute don't exist and that even if they did, a visual inspection by someone would not provide any means to address them. While such problems may be rare compared to the number of jumps made without issue, there are stories of problems with pin, bridle or pilot chute that are visually apparent. There are also incidents of fatalities and injuries caused by pilot chute in tow or premature deployment.

As I told I check those when I get my gear on. Anyway an elephant would kill you if it would jump on you from a tree.....

What I take issue with is the suggestion that real skydivers don't need pin checks and the implication that asking for a pin check is tantamount to admitting ignorance of your own gear.

Its nothing about real skydivers. If you want to run 3 rounds around the airplane, because it give you luck and soft opening I say go ahead. If you try to push me to do it than piss off.

I real skydiver can decide if a pin check is needed.

As I told I check those when I get my gear on.

Great! I never suggested that you didn't. I was faulting your analogy. With invisible elephants, you're suggesting a problem which doesn't exist and with screaming yooyoo, you're suggesting a solution which presumably has no real effect and then go on to draw the obviously false conclusion that you avoided the invisible elephant because of such action. Unlike the invisible elephants, problems which can be detected by visual inspection of the rig do exist, and having such a visual inspection prior to jumping can allow the problem to be either corrected, or failing that, at least mitigated by not jumping. Therefore, as I stated earlier, your analogy is flawed.

Its nothing about real skydivers. If you want to run 3 rounds around the airplane, because it give you luck and soft opening I say go ahead. If you try to push me to do it than piss off.

You need to go back and read my posts in context. They were all replies to specific posts suggesting that there was something wrong with asking for a pin check because as a licensed skydiver, you should know how to check your own gear. I strongly disagree with this sentiment and feel that this sends the wrong message to student and novice skydivers. While you didn't say that, you did question my position. I have no intention of attempting to force you to do anything.