Tuna-Salad

Where has the respect gone?

My grandfather died Monday and I attended his funeral today... I have not been to a funeral in maybe 5 years so I may not be up on the modern customs.

During the viewing people were taking pictures with cell phones and cheap disposable cameras. I found this to be very disrespectful. To take pictures of a dead man with a cheap camera to pay your respects? What the fuck is wrong with our world? Am I missing something? Is this a common thing now?

I would also like to add that this man served 42 years in the US Navy and served multiple tours during WW2 and Korea. The navy would not grant him a proper military burial. The best they did was provide the contact information for an american legion post (who bluntly told us they would not do the service if it was raining)
He got taps played through a cheap PA system and his 21 gun salute (7 rifles, 3 shots) 9 rifles, 3 shots... For his service he deserved it to be done right...
The list goes on and on...

I hope our guys from Iraq are not getting the shaft like he did.

Call it a rant or whatever, but this shit isn't right.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I never saw the point of taking pictures of the dead maybe with the quick access of cameras these days people do it... but it does seem strange.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

i'll continue your rant.

it seems today that taking a picture or video with a phone somehow supersedes simply seeing, taking it in, reflecting, then telling someone of your experience. i feel people have become shallow, reliant on tech., and not even close to being in the moment and enjoying life as it passes. the last time i had to replace my cell phone, i ask for one that did not have a camera...and i just got a funny look.

i salute your grandfather. Through his service, I am able to live free today. (raises glass). My dad, 83, was a mechanic in WW2, never saw combat, but anyone who has serve, has my respect.

carry on, be strong, and dont let the idiots ruin your day.

He got taps played through a cheap PA system

That is why for my grandfather's funeral 7 years ago, I played taps for him on my trumpet. He was a WWII vet (Navy) who had 3 different ships sunk from beneath him, he deserved more than a cheap PA recording. I just wish I could have gotten another horn player so we could do echo taps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks all for the support and that. :)I am over his passing, but completely disgusted by the behavior of the navy on his part, and those who were snapping pictures like it was some sort of fucked up freak show.

It sounds like your grandfather was a good man.
I'm sorry his funeral was less than what he deserved.

As far as photography at a funeral...I've been asked to do it at several. The only reason I agreed was that in each case, it was so that loved ones that could not attend could have a chance at closure that is such an important part of a funeral. I approached each assignment with professionalism, respect, and a desire to help. It was always done before the viewing, and as effeciently as I could.

Obviously, what happened at your grandfathers funeral was inappropriate, even if it was done with good intent.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Sorry for your loss.

I'm Active duty Navy and am curious why they wouldn't render honors. According to your description, he was eligible unless dishonorable discharged. Were they too busy by any chance?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm sorry for your loss.

The navy would not grant him a proper military burial. The best they did was provide the contact information for an american legion post

Veteran organizations have always played a large part in rendering honors at ceremonies. There is no requirement to have a bugler as part of the detail. There is no requirement for a rifle salute.

A funeral honors detail shall, at a minimum,
perform at the funeral a ceremony that includes the folding of a United States flag and presentation of the flag to the veteran's family and the playing of Taps. Unless a bugler is a member of the detail, the funeral honors detail shall play a recorded version of Taps using audio equipment which the detail shall provide if adequate audio equipment is not otherwise available for use at the funeral.

Sounds like the funeral director had his head up his ass.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

unfortunately there are not enough folks to provide the "proper burial" ceremony that our veterans deserve, those that can do the ceremony are booked almost every day, the farther you are away from a military town the harder it is to have it done

my father was also a Navy vet, the flag ceremony was done by my son, nephew and myself

a couple of his friends that were vets thanked us for doing it properly
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm Active duty Navy and am curious why they wouldn't render honors. According to your description, he was eligible unless dishonorable discharged. Were they too busy by any chance?

Not sure, the funeral was 2 hours away from the JRB in fort worth and a commander at pensacola said it was too far away.

Maybe this issue should be pushed some more. According to the FAQ's on this page, the Military is required to perform this service if requested.

http://www.militaryfuneralhonors.osd.mil/faqpage.html#

I know one thing about the Navy, they definitely inconvience a service member to keep their mission.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I wish I had seen this before the funeral. The family did not go through a funeral director and chose to contact the navy directly. That might of had something to do with it. We spoke to a commander, and when he said it could not be done I suggested speaking to his commanding officer, but that suggestion was rejected.

Ok I see your point. And I don't think I could ever take pictures at someone elses' visitation, but I did take pictures of my mom at the visitation. If it was going to be the last time I ever saw her again, I wanted to keep that with me along with all the other memories.
So, in a way I guess I see both sides-although as I said, I don't think I could do it to someone else...