shah269

Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

OK so, here is an odd question. Week before last I was over at the local jump school sniffing out the place making sure that I got good vibes from the place.
And I did!
But when I told the two “fun jumpers” (guys who were already certified) that I was going to buy the entire lesson package at one shot and had never tandemd before they kind of game me that odd look….as if I was nuts.

Who here went from nothing right into signing up for class?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

They only did that because a large percentage don't come back after Category A followed by cat D, followed by not completing the "A" License. Do what you want. If you have the determination to be successful, you'll be successful.

If you're going to ask if you're crazy; please make it a poll thread. ;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

They only did that because a large percentage don't come back after Category A followed by cat D, followed by not completing the "A" License.

Do what you want. If you have the determination to be successful, you'll be successful.

Yeah....it is $1,600....i would be a fool to invest that and not get certified.
But they are right, I am a little nuts.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I did the static line progression back in '93 Don't know if that is even available much anymore but I found it a good way to get a grasp on canopy control before doing the full monty...it's a nice way to slowly transition to freefall- and smaller pieces of information to digest too.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

OK, First off if you have to ask the question then YES you are nuts.

as for paying up front and never doing a tandem... I don't see anything wrong with it.

I've never done and never want to do a tandem... and was hooked the moment I left the plane the first time...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

No your not nuts. Your not fannying around by dipping your toe in the water and seeing if you like it or not.

You clearly know what you want and your going for it. Admirable. B|

What is nuts is when you go out with 8 pals, get pissed up in a nightclub then question each others back wheels and finally drunkenly challenge to all do a skydive. And then book up and pay for 8 AFF courses the next day. Now thats NUTS. :D:D Thats how I started. :D;)

BP
:)

Hey Shah. I am doing almost what you are doing. I am doing the AFF class right off the bat and I have never jumped before but iam not giving them all the money up frount I am just going to pay for eatch jump as I go. I personally would not give them all the money up frount just in case your plans change but thats just me. Like I said I have not even jumped yet so i am in no poistion to be handing out my opions are advice. But you only can decide what is right for you. good luck and have fun :)

Well I have to tandem. Looking at the program it apprears three times. Then after that I'm free to be held by my arm and my balls!
It's a small jump shcool with a small aircraft so....ah it's ok.
And hay! I dorp $1,600 I save $100! Woo hoo!
Wel who cares i just want to fly!

And yeah, for the most part I'm kind of like the guy who knows what he wants and knows how to get it. Problem is.....when I don't or can't....then life becomes hell for me.

exactly....

wow excellent advice, from a not-as-yet skydiver...well done '98:)

pay as you go, might be the better approach.
Then you can
interpret and assess what you're "getting for your money" as your training and jumping history begins. :|
Document every jump and have the log book and proficiency cards signed...:)if all goes well continue to pay , as you continue to learn, and enjoy your new hobby and new friends..

BUT

IF things are not what you expected, or if there are any negatives. go ELSEWHERE and continue training.

Unless there is a return policy on a package deal payment plan, which is unlikely, or unless there is a HUGE price break,,,i'd be careful at first...
Has this DZ been recommended to you?? do you know any people personally?? who vouch for the place.../ is it the only DZ available to you?

good luck be safe

jt
a 3914
d 12122

Am I crazy?

OK so, here is an odd question. Week before last I was over at the local jump school sniffing out the place making sure that I got good vibes from the place.
And I did!
But when I told the two “fun jumpers” (guys who were already certified) that I was going to buy the entire lesson package at one shot and had never tandemd before they kind of game me that odd look….as if I was nuts.

Who here went from nothing right into signing up for class?

Raises Hand . . . I knew it when I started . . . and I knew everything already too - sucked if you were my instructors.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I dunno-my first was an AFF level 1. But I probably shouldn't be your sanity benchmark.

CONGRATULATION CAPTAIN OBVIOUS - YOU JUST WON - The Understatement of the Year Award!

:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Did the same. Got there with a bundle of cash and signed up for the entire course. They tried to make me do a tandem but I refused. I've wanted to jump since I was 10. Was certain it was something I wanted to do and did it.
Obviously no regrets.

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

well, if you are, so am i.. i did a paraglider-tandem MANY moons ago, thought it was boring, signed up for AFF when i decided i wanted to skydve..

actually, i did the same as you; visited the prospective dz before and buggered one of their instructors until she started rolling her eyes.. i'm pretty sure, and so was she, that after i've announced i'd do my AFF there, that i'd never come back.

well, 200 jumps later she still hates me, but yea, license n'whatever, i'm still hanging around to annoy her.. :)

:D:D:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

OK so, here is an odd question. Week before last I was over at the local jump school sniffing out the place making sure that I got good vibes from the place. And I did!

Yep, very few people commit all-out like that right up front. It's great that you are so sure that this is something you want that you're willing to do that. However, make sure that if something happens along the way, like if you change your mind, or can't complete the training for some reason, that you can get a refund of the unused portion of your large up-front payment.

Am I crazy?

Yes.
Do you buy a car without test driving it? Just bc you heard its fun and want to prove to your friends that you have balls, doesn't make it right to spend that much money... Do one jump... still like it... buy it in packages...
You're lucky to have enough money to blow it on a hunch that you will like skydiving.
The reason why the "experienced skydivers" gave you a look is that your attitude is nothing new...

Am I crazy?

Yes.
Do you buy a car without test driving it? Just bc you heard its fun and want to prove to your friends that you have balls, doesn't make it right to spend that much money... Do one jump... still like it... buy it in packages...
You're lucky to have enough money to blow it on a hunch that you will like skydiving.
The reason why the "experienced skydivers" gave you a look is that your attitude is nothing new...

..but can be proven wrong.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Am I crazy?

Yes.

For me it's not about the balls.....I have faith in the system in the training and in the people around me. I'm in it for the peace, the zen, the deeper connection with the universe.
OK now I sound nuts!

reply]
For me it's not about the balls.....I have faith in the system in the training and in the people around me. I'm in it for the peace, the zen, the deeper connection with the universe.
OK now I sound nuts![/reply]
------------------------------------------------------------

Yep this is the right sport for you

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I've been looking for peace for longer than I can remember. Growing up in Tehran in the early 80's during the bombings wasn't much fun. Then living in purgatory in upstate NY was well....even worse.

I was given peace once, I was 18, I was an exchange student to south america......but it was taken away from me. I've been working every since to find it again.

Moto riding helps, Yoga helps greatly, but this.....this.....I think will help me find a few seconds of freedom.