skymama

Is Casablanca the best movie ever?

I have never seen Casablanca, but a friend keeps insisting it's the best movie ever. Do you agree? What's so great about it?

If you don't agree, what movie is your favorite?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't think so, but I've only seen it once, and that was a long time ago. So I don't even remember much about it, except that I didn't leave the theater thinking it was a great movie. (Maybe I'll try watching it again sometime though.)

I think Citizen Kane is one of the best movies I've seen, but I don't really have a favorite.

Is it the best ever? For me, no. But it is an absolutely fantastic film.

Very funny, razor sharp dialogue, intrigue, suspense, plot twists, love triangles, Nazis, well developed character arcs with personal redemption, "We'll always have Paris", that Humphrey Bogart speech at the end... there's a lot to love about Casablanca.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Casablanca is definitely in the top 10, but for that era my pick is On the Waterfront. Many critics believe it to be the best movie ever made. It's the classic good vs evil movie and my favorite by far.

I voted no, because that would be too limiting. It's a great film, but there are so many great films and selecting just one as the Best Ever is too difficult and diminishes all of the others.

My favourite varies with time (as it should), tastes change and new film are made that make it on to the list of candidates.

So, for me, I don;t believe there is a definitive answer.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I love Shakespeare, Victorian art, theatre, and yet, I've nevere been able to make it through without falling asleep. Same with Jane Austin films. Maybe I'm just an ass, but I can think of many better films that make you think. Crash, Philedelphia,(when it hit it was pretty contraversial), and the directing in Memento was pretty fantastic. But don't forget, I don't know shit:SB|

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I have never seen Casablanca, but a friend keeps insisting it's the best movie ever. Do you agree? What's so great about it?

I guess my first question would be, how is it possible that you've never seen this movie?

Ok, that does sound exactly like some elitist, snob, asshole in LA doesn't it? (Which clearly I am.) However, if anyone even vaguely claims to like movies at all and are really interested in them, I find it nearly inconceivable that Casablacna isn't a movie that gets watched by them fairly early on.

The movie consistently shows up as being in the top 3 or 4 movies of all time across a wide spectrum of critics and organizations.

Personally I think it is THE greatest movie of all time. I know that's at odds with some who give that honor to Citizen Cane, but I think Casablanca is much more watchable time and time again. The movie is simply amazing from a number of perspectives; lighting, screenwriting, acting, sub-plots and sub-text. It's possible to watch it many times and focus on different aspects finding new things each time.

If you have not seen it yet, find a good copy and screen to watch it on. It's amazing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I guess my first question would be, how is it possible that you've never seen this movie?

I was busy. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Personally I think it is THE greatest movie of all time. I know that's at odds with some who give that honor to Citizen Cane, but I think Casablanca is much more watchable time and time again.

Agree completely, Citizen Kane is an important movie, I just don't like watching it all that much...I feel the same way about Lawrence of Arabia, much rather watch Casablanca

For anyone who uses Netflix, I just noticed that Casablanca is available in their "watch instantly" stuff. Looks like a decent copy too, but I only watched it briefly on my computer.

I've added it to my queue, but I've got way more stuff in there than I have time to watch.

I haven't seen it either.

My favorite is "It's a Wonderful Life."

Me too! :)

Zuzu Bailey: "Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Hi sky,
That flick is one of my favorites. What ever happened to "That!" Lockheed 10E?? There weren't too many around and even fewer to jump from. At least I have a few jumps from one in my logs. On to "Ricks" for a drink, I'll buy the first round!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I was busy. :P

Doing what?!! Reading EVERY silly post on this vacuous forum?! :P
No, it's not the best movie ever. That's The Godfather/The Godfather Part II, 'cause I said so. But it's defnitely TOP 10, and one that MUST be seen, repeatedly if you know what's good for you.

Drama, suspense, political intrigue, and the rare kind of romance that won't leave a guy wondering: "How long do I have to watch this sh*t with her before I rack up Punani Points?"

I had this *cough*friend who got married this one time, and he had his groom's party tuxes specifically designed to look like Bogie's white-on-black ensemble. And I defy anyone with a sense of history to not break out in chills when Victor Lazlo makes the bar band play the French National Anthem in a room full of Nazis.

I recommend a nice spread of take-out Italian food, two bottles of red and you and yo' man watching it with limited pee-pauses and no juvenile interruptions.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

What ever happened to "That!" Lockheed 10E??

It was a 1/2 size replica made from plywood.
They had midgets stand by it to make it look full size.

It's a good movie - go see it. And watch all the commentaries on it. They are cool too.

It's considered one of the all time best movies because so many lines from the movie made it into mainstream English.
Here's looking at you kid.
Round up the usual suspects.
Play it Sam (often misquoted as Play it again Sam)
etc, etc
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Better than "Porky's", "Slapshot","Caddyshack","The Wedding Crashers" or "Full Metal Jacket", "Saving Private Ryan", "Kelly's Heros" or "The Outlaw Josie Wales" , "The Cowboys","The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" or "The Godfather", "Snatch", "Goodfellas" , "A Bronx Tale", "Millers Crossing"or "Brian's Song", "Something for Joey","The Gypsy Moths", "Bang the Drum Slowly" or "Aliens", "Jaws", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "North by Northwest","Gone with the Wind", "The Princess Bride","Ben Hur", "Braveheart", "Shrek", "ET"???????B|

Casablanca is a wonderful film. But how do you pick just one BEST????:S

Hmmmm, maybe "Howard the Duck" or "Ishtar".....:P