frenchyflyer

Javelin Odyssey Security Notice in France

The French Parachutist Association (FFP) issued the following security notice:

http://www.ffp.asso.fr/CatTechnique/FS%20JAVELIN%20ODYSSEY.pdf

That means that all Javelin Odyssey are grounded in France until the following test is performed by a rigger: pop the reserve and close it back.
It also means that the packing cycle for J.O. is reduced back to 6 months (in France the reserve packing cycle had recently been increased to 1 year).

I cannot find any info about this problem anywhere else than in France, does someone know whether Sunpath is investigating or even aware of this?

Here's a rough summary (excuse my english):

While about to repack a Javelin Odyssey rig, the rigger experienced the following malfunction (on the ground):
The spring-loaded pilot chute failed to clear the rig, the top of the pilot chute was stuck with the lower reserve flap while the base of the spring remained pushed against the reserve pack job.

After manually pulling out the pilot chute, it separated from the lower reserve flap in 2-3 seconds.
The rigger then noticed that the inside of the flap was a bit sticky.

Umm.... Who poured beer on their reserve? It seems like the sticky reserve flap would be the culprit, so I don't see how they are grounding all Odysseys. They might as well ground all rigs to check for stick reserve flaps.

France. :S

:P;)

What's that supposed to mean?

Getting informed of safety issues for US made (British owned) kit isn't the time for xenophobia.

No wonder people hesitate to post, with replies like yours.......

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Umm.... Who poured beer on their reserve? It seems like the sticky reserve flap would be the culprit, so I don't see how they are grounding all Odysseys. They might as well ground all rigs to check for stick reserve flaps.

Could be a bad batch of fabric. Sometimes the coating(s) that is/ are applied to the front and rear of the fabric are the wrong type or an odd mix from the factory. Sometimes the factory or the distributor incorrectly catorgorizes a commercial grade (cheap back packs etc) fabric as a certified grade. Under the sometimes harsh conditions of parachuting, lesser grade fabrics (and more importantly their backings) can become compromised and fail or become sticky etc.

Sunpath, through it's critical item tracability process will be able to trace the fabric used on the offending flap(s) via the rigs S/N back to the roll it came from. From there, back to the distributor, back to the manufacturer and
and hopefully what if anything went wrong.

Knowing which roll the fabric came from will enable them to trace each and every rig that is affected and if necessary take corrective action.

Or it could just be beer on the flap! It should however be investigated throughly.

Mick.

Mick,
I believe that the rig was probably packed the old original way (circa 1989-1994)with half of the P/C fabric at the top and the other half at the bottom.

I have seen riggers stuffing the top half of the fabric under the Last flap and the the top of the side flaps.

The fabric can migrate futher under the top on the two side flaps, thus locking down the top half of the P/C.
I can remember at least three times seeing a pilot chute "hang" like that from other riggers that did not know any better.

Following the latest packing instructions will/should prevent that from occuring.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

What's that supposed to mean?

Getting informed of safety issues for US made (British owned) kit isn't the time for xenophobia.

No wonder people hesitate to post, with replies like yours.......

Bryn

Do you understand what :P;) means?

Everyone definitely hesitates to post on this board. No. Really. I'm serious. :P;)

Or am I?

If they want to ground every rig, fine, but a sticky residue seems to indicate a spill of some kind to me.

And it was just one rig (I don't read french so I am relying on what was posted above), that does not seem to warrrant an entire country grounding.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Sunpath, through it's critical item tracability process will be able to trace the fabric used on the offending flap(s) via the rigs S/N back to the roll it came from. From there, back to the distributor, back to the manufacturer and
and hopefully what if anything went wrong.

Knowing which roll the fabric came from will enable them to trace each and every rig that is affected and if necessary take corrective action.

Mick,

And that is what TSO is really all about. Traceability

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If they want to ground every rig, fine, but a sticky residue seems to indicate a spill of some kind to me.
And it was just one rig (I don't read french so I am relying on what was posted above), that does not seem to warrrant an entire country grounding.

That was also my first reaction: "The flap was sticky? Then the owner must have stored its rig (manufactured in 2002) in less than perfect (humid, cold?) conditions"
Especially because I have 2 Odysseys, one manufactured in 2001 and one in 2005 and have had no problems with either (I'm French and not British by the way).
Then with the number of Odysseys being used around the world I found it hard to believe that such a problem could happen without being detected earlier.

Then after discussing with some riggers, I have been told exactly what riggermick explained, i.e. that it has already happened in the past that some coating would not meet the specs and become sticky under specific conditions.

I guess this is why the French Association has been kind of overzealous and has decided to force the inspection of ALL the Odysseys until Sunpath determines which (if any) serial numbers are impacted.

By posting this, I just wanted to check whether anything similar had been detected in the US; and I also wanted people/rigger handling Odyssey manufactured around the time of this one (SN 02028 DOM July 2002) to have a closer look to any possible signs of deterioration of the flap coating...

and that would be based on your years of experience as a rigger would it, or purhaps you are a textiles expert:|:|

oh forgot the :P;)

:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I suspect that the problem is caused by sub standard urethane coating on the inside of the reserve bottom flap.
Urethane coatings help a bit with parachute container durability, but their main function is to make Cordura backpacks water-resistant.
Given the wrong combination of storage conditions (heat, pressure, temperature, certain kinds of dust, etc.) it is possible for urethane to stick to the top of the reserve pilot chute.
Quality control is difficult on the urethane used to waterproof Cordura fabric.
That is one reason the best (ultra-light) tents are made of the same silicone-coated nylon fabric as the best ZP main canopies.

Read the thread a dozen or so post's up from here, it explains how Sunpath can quite easily track the problem, if indeed there is one. Then again it may be a one off.
Mick.

Yup I had read about the traceability stuff, my remark was more about the conditions that led to the "melting" of the coating, i.e. Sunpath would first have to get hold of a sample from the same roll that was used for the faulty one, and try to reproduce the behaviour; if they do that while another sample does not "melt" then ok, they have identified a faulty roll.
I was just skeptical about their ability to reproduce it.

That leads me to the following question: does (or should) every manufacturer keep a sample of each roll that they used to build their rigs?

That leads me to the following question: does (or should) every manufacturer keep a sample of each roll that they used to build their rigs?

No, they don't keep samples of every roll they get in. In a couple of years you'd end up with a warehouse full of samples. TSO holders are required to batch test materials periodically. The time interval is established by the manufacturer when the TSO authorization is sought.

Critical item traceability will track down any sub-standard materials, it may take a little while. With the exception of a catastrophic failure a loose rule of thumb that can be used is as follows: One incident is an anomaly two incidents is a coincidence and three incidents is a trend. Using this as a base line is generally a good place to start.

Mick.

Someone is going to ask.

Main Entry: anom·a·ly
Pronunciation: &-'nä-m&-lE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -lies
1 : the angular distance of a planet from its perihelion as seen from the sun
2 : deviation from the common rule : IRREGULARITY
3 : something different, abnormal, peculiar, or not easily classified

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Exactly, the idea was probably to have all the Odysseys used in France scrutinized to check whether any other anomaly could be detected, and that's also probably the reason why the repack cycle is back to 6 months: to have riggers examine the coating more frequently.

The only thing that I would have done differently is that I would have replaced a whole packing by just the opening of the reserve, checking of the coating and reclosing - leaving the actual full packing cycle of one year.

The FFP (French equivalent of USPA) wasn't being overzealous after all...

No, but their handling of the situation could've been better. Basically all that was known outside of France was that "Some rigger found a stuck pilot chute and now all Odysseys are grounded". I even heard that Sun Path only found out about this when somebody called them asking "Hey, what's up with the grounding in France?" when Sun Path hadn't heard anything about the incident yet...