playboywillis

Best brand canopy

I need some input. I'm fairly new to the sport but progressing quickly. I'm seriously looking for a rig and was wondering which canopy would be fitting for me. I'm jumping on transition gear right now and moving down a size every jump. Was thinking when I'd gotten to the point where I need my own rig, I'd go for a 150sf, seeming how I'm 150 pounds to give myself a 1:1 wing loading. I'm looking to spend up to $2500 for a rig and at that price I mostly see Sabres, Batwings, Vengeance and the like. I'm interesed to know what ya'll think is the best brand of canopy to look for. (I heard something about ZP, I think, being one of the best. But that's a little out of my price range.) Thanks for answers.

"My favorite manuever is passing out, and waking up on the ground."

Please fill out your skydiving profile, so we know a bit more about you. How many jumps? What kind of jumping? Etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no "best" canopy. It's all opinion based. Some brands are more reputable than others and some people like one brand more than another. Check out the gear section of this site for reviews.

We won't be able to help you, unfortunately, until we know a LOT about your jumping style and skill set. Even with that, I won't be able to help you... I'm just a rookie. All I know is that information is a requirement to get a valid answer.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

We won't be able to help you, unfortunately, until we know a LOT about your jumping style and skill set.

Even with a lot more info, most of us will NOT be able to help...:P

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

For your very first canopy, I would recommend something like a Triathalon or a Silhouette. If you are willing to wait a while, then a Safire2, Pilot or Sabre2 might be a better choice. Note that Sabre2's have gotten something of a reputation for hard openings lately; that may be more urban legend than reality.

Was thinking when I'd gotten to the point where I need my own rig, I'd go for a 150sf, seeming how I'm 150 pounds to give myself a 1:1 wing loading.

Remember that wing loading is calculated by exit weight not "dry weight" if 1:1 is where your heading look in the 170ish sq ft range

And the Pilot - Safire 2 - Sabre 2 are where you might want to start -- the pilot would be my choice

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I'm interesed to know what ya'll think is the best brand of canopy to look for.

The best brand of canopy is the one I jump.

No really. It is the best canopy - the best canopy for me. Does that mean it's the best canopy for you? Maybe, maybe not. You and I are different.

How can you figure out what is the best canopy for you? First learn about your options - this article may be helpful. Then demo - jump as many different canopies as you can/are interested in. After doing that you'll likely know what the best canopy is for you.

Yeah. I'll have to jump a few different brands of 170s to 150s and see which one suits me I guess. Thanks for all the info.
And I think I'll check out that acme brand. Does that rig come with an anvil or an anchor? Piano maybe? Sounds like my style.

Just to clarify; you would need a 175 canopy to be at a 1:1 wing loading cuz your gear is about 25 lbs (from what I've been told). Also, I read on PD's website that lighter jumpers encounter more problems sizing down because smaller canopies are more responsive regardless of wing loading. This is something to keep in mind at your weight. And definitely try before you buy!

Check out:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf
The dog has learned from experience, which is more than can be said for his owner.

I'm jumping on transition gear right now and moving down a size every jump.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wow!
You must be waaaay brighter than me!
It takes me 6 to 600 jumps to learn all the corners of the envelope of any single canopy.
... far wiser to do a half-dozen jumps on any canopy before trying anything else.

(I heard something about ZP, I think, being one of the best.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back when ZP (zero porosity) fabric was introduced (circa 1990) a South African company built a line of canopies called "ZP." They competed roughly with original Sabres, but any still available are worn out or "closet queens."

"ZP" more commonly refers to the type of fabric. Silicone-coated, zero-porosity fabric has been the standard for main canopies for more than a decade. Even tandem and student canopies are now made of ZP fabric, sometimes with F-111 fabric on the bottom to make them easier to pack. These "hybrid" canopies open and fly like ZP, but are as easy topack as F-111.
All F-111 main canopies only work well at wing-loadings less than 1:1.

Well in regards to the downsizing, thats kind of just how things have worked out. Switching between DZ's and the lack of transition gear at most of these DZ's is usually the cause. Although I have been moving down, I have been jumping a 220 a couple times and might be on that for a few. I'm mainly being mentored by a team. Sitflying on my 10th jump for graduation. 5-ways on my 15th. High wind landings. Even a demo jump onto a race-track. Oddly enough, I feel comfortable doing it all. Sure it may sound like I'm moving fast at most skydiving standards, but I really don't feel like its too much to handle. Who at the DZ thinks it's a good idea? I'd have to say most of em or they wouldn't let me take part in this shit. I just asked the canopy question because I was bored yesterday and it's a long week until Friday.

Well in regards to the downsizing, thats kind of just how things have worked out. Switching between DZ's and the lack of transition gear at most of these DZ's is usually the cause. Although I have been moving down, I have been jumping a Fury 220 a couple times and might be on that for a few. I'm mainly being mentored by a team. Sitflying on my 10th jump for graduation. 5-ways on my 15th. High wind landings. Even a demo jump onto a race-track. Oddly enough, I feel comfortable doing it all. Sure it may sound like I'm moving fast at most skydiving standards, but I really don't feel like its too much to handle. Who at the DZ thinks it's a good idea? I'd have to say most of em or they wouldn't let me take part in this shit. I just asked the canopy question because I was bored yesterday and it's a long week until Friday.

Oh, really................ and what DZ is it you jump at?

I would clarify a bit but no one cares anyway. None of this is as crazy as it seems. The racetrack jump was while NO-One was there. It wasn't like a busy Friday night with a crowd and such. All of my work is basically freefly. Under canopy I do the basic downwind approach, upwind landing. Nothing crazy. The high wind day was just a hop and pop at 13,000 and a very long canopy ride. Still an upwind landing. I've done only one downwind landing and that was at my coaches request. He said we should all do one soon in case we have to make an emergency landing off site. We talked about it for 3 hours on the ground before doing it.
Look I'm not calling myself anything besides Novice. Except maybe beginner I guess. I'm not saying that I swooped 500 feet with my eyes closed. I just spend a lot of time on the ground going over what I'm going to do, and then I do it.

In response to the DZ question. I did a class and a few static lines and such at some commercial DZ's but I've been jumping with a group of my dad's friends who live about 5 minutes away from me. He has a small cessna and a grass runway on his property. When they're not around I might go to a commercial DZ but the closest is a 2 hour drive.

And last of all I didn't start this topic to have a discussion over what I should and shouldn't be doing at the level I'm at. I simply wanted opinions as to what you guys think one of the best beginner canopys is for a first rig, but apparantly there is no straight answer for that. So I think maybe it's time I closed this topic.

edited for spelling.

And last of all I didn't start this topic to have a discussion over what I should and shouldn't be doing at the level I'm at. I simply wanted opinions as to what you guys think one of the best beginner canopys is for a first rig, but apparantly there is no straight answer for that. So I think maybe it's time I closed this topic.

Well, you started it, so everything is fair game. We have plenty of reason to be concerned - just read the incident reports.

Anyway, to answer your question at face value, something where your WL is no more than about 1.1.