JoeQ.Public

Littering

The cigarette thread got me thinking. We all have seen people that throw their cigarettes out of the car window. It really irritates me. I have called out to people in parking lots and said,"Hey, you dropped something".

Anyhoo, how big does something have to be before it is littering and the cops would do something about it? They don't care if you throw a butt out, if you empty an ashtray in front of them would that do it? Is a bottle top ok but the bottle is over the edge?

What say you?
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

They have a "hotline" here to report littering. It can be anything, including a cigarette butt. The city writes you a nasty letter. I know - ooooooooooo. I have been a smoker most of my life and I hate it when people throw their butts out the window. I had a container to put them in when I smoked and then emptied it in the trash can every time I filled up. I don't understand why people won't do that - they cost a dollar at Wal-Mart.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

When I go for a walk, I take a trash bag and pick up. I have never smoked, but can't count the number of cigarette butts I have picked up in my life. I have often thought it would fun to carry a small bucket of cigarette butts and when I saw someone flick one out the window, catch them at the next light and dump the bucket in their lap with the announcement that I had been following them for a week and picking them up. It's just rude. They expect someone else to clean up after them.

My answer is that no amount of littering is permissible. I put my garbage in my pocket until I get to a trash can. But I appear to be in a very small minority.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I don't smoke. And I don't understand why smokers believe it's okay for us non-smokers to put up with their dropping cigarette butts everywhere and leaving them. YUCK! >:(

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

My answer is that no amount of littering is permissible. I put my garbage in my pocket until I get to a trash can. But I appear to be in a very small minority.

*THANK YOU* I completely agree. Even in London there are enough bins for you to throw away your litter. There is no excuse.

I just can't understand how people can have so little respect for where they live. My biggest pet peeve is dog poo. The really irritating thing is that because people a so fucking lazy, the chances are that dog turd belongs to a dog that lives only a couple of houses away. How fucking rude. >:(
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Take a drive through town at midnight, and you'll probably see guys driving vehicles that are equipped with sweepers. If it wasn't for people dropping trash in parking lots, these guys wouldn't be able to earn a living. Next time you see someone drop trash, remember some guy somewhere feeds his family by cleaning it up. As for litter outside of the city, along the freeway etc....prisoners are often given the opportunity to clean it up. This provides them with cash and/or shorter jail terms.

I certainly hope its a joke....otherwise by the same logic we should be lucky there is violent crime so that we can pay a special division of police more money to protect us from it, or be glad there is spam and virus's so that people can have jobs eliminating it for us.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

CO has a specific law other than the littering law for burning materials.
Littering is a petty offense, but expelling burning material is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2002b/sl_7.htm

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

:D:D:D

Skydivers talking about littering.

Take a look around YOUR DZ.

Yes, there are a few, a very few, exceptions.

For the life of me I can't understand why people fuck up the places they live, work and play. it's beyond my comprehension.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't think any amount of littering is acceptable - there's just never any need for it.

On the other hand people have been fined for dropping sweets and bits of crisp (potato chip!) in the street, and I think there are better ways to use law enforcement resources than for that kind of nonsense.

Two things that really bug me though. People actually stopping their cars in the street, opening a door and tipping out rubbish - and lit cigarette butts. If you're going to drop your ciggie butt in the street, at least put it out!

Anyhoo, how big does something have to be before it is littering and the cops would do something about it? They don't care if you throw a butt out, if you empty an ashtray in front of them would that do it? Is a bottle top ok but the bottle is over the edge?

What say you?

here in georgia cops will give you a ticket for throwing out cigg butts. i am a smoker and i always keep an ashtray in my truck and throw them away at a gas station.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

What say you?

here in georgia cops will give you a ticket for throwing out cigg butts. i am a smoker and i always keep an ashtray in my truck and throw them away at a gas station.

Bottle of water with just a little water in it - keeps the smell of old smokes down and no mess to clean up.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Spitting on the street/sidewalk should be considered littering.

I agree.

I ran someone off the job here for spitting on the ground. I gave him three chances - After the second one - I handed him a bottle, and said, one more and I have to ask you to leave. 45 minutes later, he was gone . . . just couldn't keep his copenhagen contained.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Spitting on the street/sidewalk should be considered littering.

+ 1

I *hate* that. Not to mention it makes me dry heave. [:/][:/][:/]

Dry heaving on the street/sidewalk should be considered attempted littering.

What about burpchunking?