SPAWNmaster

Recent Graduate Needs Advice on Where to Go/what to Do

Hey guys. I would appreciate some life feedback from some of you.

Let me preface by saying I'm an 09 college graduate with a B.S. in Communications, Management & Design living in upstate New York currently.

I had plans to move to Vancouver with my fiancee, but work permits and visa issues have changed those plans. We considered just moving to Seattle and waiting till the paperwork finally goes through and THEN moving to Vancouver, but feel like saving money might be a better thing and moving to a closer city instead.

We are looking at the following places and are open-minded:
-chicago
-boston
-portland
-seattle

I am looking for a PR/Marketing type of job or IT type stuff. I have a pretty diverse skill set.

Now...that said....

Does anyone have any advice on what are good cities or places to be for recent college graduates in my field? Any places with a decent job market in related fields?

The bottom line is that we do NOT want to stay where we are so we are determined to move, it's just a question of where at the moment. Out west has it's pros and cons- likewise, staying in this region has its pros and cons but are looking for advice and/or wisdom about where opportunity is and how to start off or where to go.

Any advice?

For what it's worth I've attached my resume in case that gives you a better idea of what I can do. I'm not asking for favors just advice on what places are hot for jobs/recent grads these days.

Note that I've already tapped resources at my college and am just trying to get a wider opinion from people.

Thanks for your input :D

A52605

edit to add:
NYC is completely out of the question ;)

Why are you only looking up North? Why not move a little further South where the skydiving season goes all year round!

Why not Texas? Home to cities like:

Houston (4th biggest city in the USA)
Dallas (8th biggest city in the USA)
Austin (the weird city)
San Antonio (7th biggest city in the USA)

Or maybe somewhere in Arizona? Phoenix is the 5th biggest city in the USA. Wouldn't you want to live near Eloy and the tunnel?

Surely there are plenty of employment opportunities down in the southern half of the US, AND you get to skydive in warm weather all year round!!!

The cost of living in these states is MUCH lower than most states up North. In Texas there is NO state income tax. That's right, you keep MORE of your money! And have a lower cost of living!

Texas also has more dropzones than any other state. Skydive Spaceland in Houston is home to the 2009 USPA Nationals.

All the action is down in the Southern half of the US (except for the week and a half Summerfest period up in Chicago).
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Thanks Simon,

I will bring this up later and we'll look into it...I know she DOES NOT like hot weather at all though so...might be an iffy suggestion.

The other thing is we are either trying to be close to Vancouver for when our work permits finally do go through we can just move there OR be close to where we are in the northeast already to reduce our costs.

So I don't know that the South will fly. But it's an idea!

And to the other guy, my fiancee and I both pretty much grew up around NYC and it is a disgusting city and people are assholes. Nothing for us there besides through-the-roof cost of living. Good luck to you with that.

I know she DOES NOT like hot weather at all though so...might be an iffy suggestion.

So I don't know that the South will fly.

Uh oh, Time to initiate emergency procedures ;)

There are plenty of girls in the Southern half of the US... Girls who like warm weather (and dress appropriately) and enjoy lots of year round skydiving.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Actually there is a job market with many openings here in NC. Cost of living isn't horrible and it's not TOO hot or cold ever to jump. A company I work with (not for) is hiring for Advanced Marketing and PR...may-haps give that a shot. Will give you information if you are interested...and only 20 mins from the nearest DZ!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Hi SPAWN,

My daughter works here:

http://www.banfield.net/

Portland ( where she works ) is their world-wide headquarters.

My daughter is in PR/Marketing ( but she CANNOT help you get a job there [:/] ).

They are a growing company and she really likes working there. Probably because she just became a manager, got a big raise and now makes ~$20K more than her husband. :P

JerryBaumchen

How about Minneapolis?? Home to companies like Honeywell, Pillsbury, 3M, General Mills, Medtronic’s, Target, just to name a few. We have a huge printing/advertising industry, excellent manufacturing base including arguably the largest medical based manufacturing in the world.

Cost of living is very reasonable. Its home to great people with top notch theatre and arts. Beautiful lakes, rivers and scenery abound. A short drive from Canada with several, quality DZ's nearby. we also boast professional Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Football, etc.

Now, to talk about the negatives... Weather!!! Our summers are beautiful!! Warm days followed by cool nights. But it does get a bit nippy in the winter. If you're acclimated to the cold, you'll find our winters discourage immigrants who are weak at heart. But, they do keep the riff raff from staying around. (except for me of course :S)

The Twin Cities offers inner city urban living, farming lifestyles, hobby farms, suburban communities, lakeshore homes, and just about everything in between. All within reach of a great transportation system to the city.

Before you make a decision, check us out. If you'd like to come visit, just give us a call. You see, we have this thing called "Minnesota Nice"!!

B|B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I can't say anything about the job market other than they do have a lot of tech companies in the area, but I do have to say that Portland is the greatest city on earth.

Very outdoors oriented and open minded culture. Regularly voted cleanest city and best airport. Amazing selection of craft beers (more micro breweries than any other city in the world)

Skydive Oregon is a great place that is 30 minutes away. And Oregon summers are the best, no need to ever use the a/c. Winters are cloudy but not too cold (jeans and a hoody are all that is needed) and the spring/fall is rainy (hey nothing is perfect, but if it wasn't for skydiving it wouldn't matter because its usually just a light drizzle)

No sales tax (it is a convenience that you don't notice until you leave. 99 cents means 99 cents :)No self-service gas stations (on those rainy days you just crack the window, pass them your credit card and say "fill-er-up")

If you can get a job offer there, go visit and you won't want to leave.

Edit: Can't forget to mention that the beach is on one side and the mountains (real mountains like ones you've never seen in NY :P) are right there. Innumerable amount of places to go backpacking, camping, rafting, bicycling, and year round snowboarding. Columbia River also has rafting and kite boarding.

Hey guys. I would appreciate some life feedback from some of you.

Let me preface by saying I'm an 09 college graduate with a B.S. in Communications, Management & Design living in upstate New York currently.

I had plans to move to Vancouver with my fiancee, but work permits and visa issues have changed those plans. We considered just moving to Seattle and waiting till the paperwork finally goes through and THEN moving to Vancouver, but feel like saving money might be a better thing and moving to a closer city instead.

We are looking at the following places and are open-minded:
-chicago
-boston
-portland
-seattle

I am looking for a PR/Marketing type of job or IT type stuff. I have a pretty diverse skill set.

Now...that said....

Does anyone have any advice on what are good cities or places to be for recent college graduates in my field? Any places with a decent job market in related fields?

The bottom line is that we do NOT want to stay where we are so we are determined to move, it's just a question of where at the moment. Out west has it's pros and cons- likewise, staying in this region has its pros and cons but are looking for advice and/or wisdom about where opportunity is and how to start off or where to go.

Any advice?

For what it's worth I've attached my resume in case that gives you a better idea of what I can do. I'm not asking for favors just advice on what places are hot for jobs/recent grads these days.

Note that I've already tapped resources at my college and am just trying to get a wider opinion from people.

Thanks for your input :D

A52605

edit to add:
NYC is completely out of the question ;)

Is grad school an option for you? If it is, you can basically choose where you want to be and you can buy yourself some time to really find a place. By the time you finish your masters or whatever you do maybe the economy will be better. Also, as you are in grad school you can get contacts by working with companies through the school's career services.

Why not Texas? Home to cities like:

Houston (4th biggest city in the USA)
Dallas (8th biggest city in the USA)
Austin (the weird city)
San Antonio (7th biggest city in the USA)

+1 Texas has the top 5 new construction markets in the US. If there building houses in this economy then there are jobs. Texas does get warn in the summer but you can adjust!;) Alot of corperations relocate to Texas for tax reasons and few leave.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Thank you for all the responses!

Actually, Minneapolis was kind of in the back of my mind, I've read and heard a lot of good things about it...I will start looking at it for sure.

Grad school is not really something I'm thinking about at the moment. I'm REALLY sick of school and the Communications field makes experience more valuable than education (unless you want to be a professor then a master's or Ph.D is necessary).

And Nelson, thank you for your comment as well- I am interested and sent you a facebook message.

Olympia thank you for offer, I'm sending a PM your way.

Thanks guys!

Any advice?

My advice would be to never distribute your resumé in an editable format. But, I'm sure no one in The Bonfire would dream of creatively altering yours before passing it along. :o;)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!