shropshire

Nerd alert : 256GB USB stick released

Well if you will keep leaving them on a train - that's your fault:P

Shush. All those people have been given new identities now, so no harm done.

Anyway, I never understood what all the fuss was about. I had clearly written TOP SECRET on there. :|

hooknswoop was bragging to me about how his new Sony CX100 puts 9 hours of HD video onto a 16 GB Memory Stick. So in a month or two, when the 256GB Memory Stick comes out, that will be ... 144 hours of video?? You can leave your camera on for the whole boogie.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Jesus H fucking Christ... I've got a 4 GB flash drive that made transferring shitloads of pictures and video files from the old computer to the new computer a snap.

I can't imagine what the fuck I'd do with a 256 GB flash drive....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jesus H fucking Christ... I've got a 4 GB flash drive that made transferring shitloads of pictures and video files from the old computer to the new computer a snap.

I can't imagine what the fuck I'd do with a 256 GB flash drive....

that should be enough storage for all the sick & twisted shit you come up with in the next 3 decades :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Kingston have just released a 256GB memory stick (cost around £500) but wowB|

Clicky

Wow. Wouldn't it be cheaper and much, much faster to just get a SSD and set it up with an eSata interface?

It'd take 5-6 hours to fill that thing up.

Why not a retractable fire wire port instead of USB?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

> Kingston have just released a 256GB memory stick (cost around £500) but wow
—————————————————————————
Theroretically very good indeed, actually jolly crap stuff.
I own a 64 GB flash memory stick, which is quite a nice device to carry around movies, music, whatever but at 10 MB/s it takes a lifetime to fill it up. And being read at 20 MB/s doesn't change so much the timing when copying data onto a PC's HD.
A 256 GB flash memory to be written on at 10 MB/s = 0.009765625 GB/s is going to be completely filled up after:
256 GB / 0.009765625 GB/s = 26214.4" = 7 h 16' 54.4"
You fill it up after 7 h :P
And you can copy the content onto a PC's HD in 3.5 h :P
Not a really piece of technology.
Yes, it's small and easy to carry around; it takes a lifetime to use it , though.
If you relly need to carry (a lot of) data, either you go in the direction of using SSD 2.5" HD (which can be written at about 100-150-200 MB/s) but they are extremely expensive, plus it would need a self powered box to be able to use it, or using a traditional external 2.5" HD which are availbale at 500 GB of size and can be written at about 60 MB/s.

Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Horses for courses, I guess.

A USB stick is frustratingly slow if you're having to transfer huge volumes of data in a hurry - but when it's fast enough, there's nothing quite like it.

I use one now for music production - collaborating with a friend, so taking entire Cubase projects back and forth between my place and his. I originally used a USB stick for copying the projects between our hard drives. Then I was surprised to find that the stick itself is fast enough to stream the data for multiple MIDI and audio tracks - record and playback simultaneously - in real time, without a glitch.

So now (except for backups), the songs never leave the stick and it's really cool to be able to carry them around like that! B|

Horses for courses, I guess.

A USB stick is frustratingly slow if you're having to transfer huge volumes of data in a hurry - but when it's fast enough, there's nothing quite like it.

I use one now for music production - collaborating with a friend, so taking entire Cubase projects back and forth between my place and his. I originally used a USB stick for copying the projects between our hard drives. Then I was surprised to find that the stick itself is fast enough to stream the data for multiple MIDI and audio tracks - record and playback simultaneously - in real time, without a glitch.

So now (except for backups), the songs never leave the stick and it's really cool to be able to carry them around like that! B|

You can put an operating system on it too - run a completely different machine - on the same machine.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun