skymama

Guys men are intimidated by

[Editor's note: This is an excerpt from Glamour's relationship blog, Smitten, which was written by a former male dating columnist, who has since married. Now, he often contributes to Glamour as "Married Jake".]

I used to date this woman, Shira, whose ex was (literally) a model. But it was her brother who really threatened me. The guy was a firefighter. And she'd been looking up to him for basically her whole life. I couldn't be in the room with the guy and not feel like if trouble came, I might actually leap into his arms.

I ran into her the other day at the gym. And she was shocked when I told her (me on a treadmill, her on the elliptical trainer next to it) how intimidated I'd been. In the spirit of enlightening, if not all womankind, then at least some of the people I've dated, here's a short compendium of dudes who make me sweat ...

1. Anyone who plays the guitar
I can't play the guitar. I can't do anything except for type and make guacamole. Ergo: I have always kept my women away from dudes with "axes."

2. Dudes who can, like, change your valves
It's even worse if he's a guy who knows about cars and is all humble about it.

3. Your older brother
See above.

4. Your friend's boyfriend
You know, the guy you always mention when we're being idiots. "John never does that to Jenny," you say. Man, when John comes around we're really on our best behavior.

5. The kid you went to high school with and was your best friend for a while but you never dated because he was kind of nerdy but now he's gained some weight and is super successful and you realize you really missed out with that one ...
Am I the only one who has encountered one of these with every girlfriend?

6. Marines
Man, a Marine started talking to my wife at a bar not that long ago. And I thought: that guy could kick my butt, tell a heart-rending story that would make her cry, and ask to be called "Captain" all at once ... I don't like him.

7. Your father
Especially if he was a Marine, a firefighter and a mechanic who also plays the guitar.

I thought this was amusing. Guys, is this true?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Not for me but then again I once sepnt a few hours as a Marine firefighter. :ph34r:

I take that to mean that one night you put the hose to a couple of Marines? DIRTY!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hi sky,
Nobody, who do you think yer' talkin to?? I'm a Skydiver!!! Just being a Skydiver intimidates the shit outa' whuff men!! (and most whuff women!!) As for other Skydivers, they're all assholes and I got them on my list!!!;););):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

BTW, I can do E-A-B7 on the gitbox (or at least fake it real good) and .006" clearance on yer' intake and exaust valves on yer' VW per the John Muir "How to keep yer' VW alive for the complete Idiot" Manual.

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

M-A-R-I-N-E...

Muscles
Are
Required;
Intelligence
Not
Essential

90% of the Marines i've met are retards. double muscles and less brains for infantrymen. still, built retards can scare me.

Ooooh Gonzo is going to get you!!
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I would only comment to say that men are intimidated by other men that show them their own shortcomings or impression of shortcomings. :| it's about measuring up I suppose. :ph34r:

The difference between confidence and cockiness is air and opportunity.......and one really big Marine.....:ph34r:

v/r
Paul
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you!"

90% of the Marines i've met are retards. double muscles and less brains for infantrymen. still, built retards can scare me.

My Dad is a Marine. I'm tellin'. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's absolutely true if you are an insecure pussified dude with no balls. You are asking this question to a bunch of guys who jump out of planes for fun. I don't think many of the guys on here are going to agree with this dude.

It's all about confidence. If you see something about another dude that threatens you, like playing the guitar, being a firefighter, ect. that makes you feel less of a man, you need to re-think your whole strategy on life. It's not about comparing yourself with others, it's about being confident in who you are and what you are about. If you don't like who you are, change it, simple as that.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

You gotta be able to take a joke, marine, army, navy, or whatever. As far as screwing with my pack job, I fly at 150 mph. and every single opening already causes bruises. If you pack me a hard opening and I figure this out, I'm gonna be looking for you as soon as I land B|

Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

You gotta be able to take a joke, marine, army, navy, or whatever. As far as screwing with my pack job, I fly at 150 mph. and every single opening already causes bruises. If you pack me a hard opening and I figure this out, I'm gonna be looking for you as soon as I land B|

Lighten up, Francis.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You should be looking for a coach not a rigger so you can learn to slow your ass down:D:D:P Hard openings will be the least of your problems if you don'tB|;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Lighten up, Francis.

LMAO, duely noted!

You should be looking for a coach not a rigger so you can learn to slow your ass down:D:D:P Hard openings will be the least of your problems if you don'tB|;)

That is stable belly fly in student gear. In the last 5 jumps I've maxed out at 156 consistently. Maybe I need a baggy jumpsuit.

The only men that I was ever intimidated by were UDT/SEAL Instructors. The blue shirts, cammie hat, cammie pants, and Gator sunglasses always sent a chill down my spine.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I am intimidated by one man only.

Pfft... Bruce Lee kicked his ass. :D

This is true, however, Bruce is no longer, and Chuck still lives!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Truth is, there are so many people that intimidate me, anyone that does difficult things with ease, that do things altruistically, most public servants.... All men and women in all branches of the military.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---