slcooper

You ever jump with the Golden Knights?

I took a vacation day today to get some jumps in, thinking Friday would be a slow day at the DZ, Skydive Spaceland in Houston. I was right, just me, a few tandem jumpers, and the Golden Knights doing some practice jumps.I'm on my 3rd student jump, where I'm supposed to be released.  I get briefed, and board the plane with my instructor, and the Golden Knights.  I'm already nervous, but the presence of a world famous team just adds too it, I love skydiving!!!!!!!!!!  I had a great conversation with a few of them up to altitude, did a gear check with the the Golden Knight in front of me, shook hands, bumped knuckles, and watched them do a flawless team exit.  I had a great 3rd jump after that, instructor released, flew in front of me to say hello, and had a great canopy ride.  I've probably watched the video he took at least 50 times, can't think of a better way to spend a vacation day :)  I love this sport!!!!!!!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Welcome to the sport! It's big time fun!

I was at SkyFest a month ago, and was manifested to do a solo, and one of the Golden Knights invited me to jump with him, one other GK, and another guy. We tried a horny gorilla, and it blew up almost immediately, but it was totally fun! How cool is it that me, a 30 jump newby gets invited to jump with those guys!

Blue Skies!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I was at SkyFest a month ago, and was manifested to do a solo, and one of the Golden Knights invited me to jump with him, one other GK, and another guy. We tried a horny gorilla, and it blew up almost immediately, but it was totally fun! How cool is it that me, a 30 jump newby gets invited to jump with those guys!

Blue Skies!

WOW! That's an awesome story! I can't wait to get off student status when I can actually have some fun jumps and enjoy them for what they are, tumble out of the plane with a smile on my face and let gravity take control! I'm convinced that people who skydive are the greatest people to hang out with and party with in the world!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Blue Skies!

WOW! That's an awesome story! I can't wait to get off student status when I can actually have some fun jumps and enjoy them for what they are, tumble out of the plane with a smile on my face and let gravity take control! I'm convinced that people who skydive are the greatest people to hang out with and party with in the world!

It's amazing fun! The folks I have met since I started jumping are fantastic!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I love this sport!!!!!!!

If you're a golfer, you'll probably never shoot a couple of holes with Tiger Woods. But in our tiny little sport, you'll get to jump with and be friends with World Champions. It don't get no better than that.B|

I never thought of it that way but darn it, you are absolutely right!

Who the hell IS Tom Hayden, anyway?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yup- helped some of them get their Freak Brother numbers at SDC a few years ago. Might have been a 12 way? I was part of the base- that's a lot of pressure not to funnel a launch, huh? No FB base for them to dock on, no FB number! :o

Blue Skies!

I'll sign that statement;)
"flying" is the most reasonable thing I ever done

Had an opportunity to make a few jumps into the Oshkosh Air Show with the Gold Knights (the Blue Angels as well) many years ago. We even got kicked out of their C-130 one time. Apparently, Colonels don't like civilians in there aircrafts. Anyway, I know what you mean, the name “Gold Knights” has a stigma attached to it. Those were good times.

You’ll look back at those jumps someday and realize how lucky you were. Hope you got signatures in your log????
:o:o:o

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I have jumped with a few Golden Knights, when they were organizing or part of a few big way camps. They were top-notch people. The best skydivers you could hope to be with.

I have a Golden Knights 8 way framed photo autographed by every member of that team.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Blue Skies!

That's what Skyfest is about.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I could do a search but I'm feeling lazy and since the thread is up- anyone know if the GKs form a VRW team? I thought I heard something about that. Would love to play with em one day and actually look like i know what I was doing. Maybe I'd just turn points on my back like I do with the RW peops out here...

And yes, the sport is very cool in that we do get to play with the pros. I explain it to whuffos that way a lot, nothing like having our John Elway teach ya how to fly a canopy :)

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Also remember if you are military and want to go jump with them for free outta their aircraft (including the fokker). You can do it during black and gold week... Im pretty sure it is going to be veterans weekend up in laurenburg NC
Details should be on their website soon.

I was introduced to the sport yrs ago by one of them taking my wife on a tandem jump.

Good bunch of guys and gals.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

I could do a search but I'm feeling lazy and since the thread is up- anyone know if the GKs form a VRW team? I thought I heard something about that. Would love to play with em one day and actually look like i know what I was doing. Maybe I'd just turn points on my back like I do with the RW peops out here...

And yes, the sport is very cool in that we do get to play with the pros. I explain it to whuffos that way a lot, nothing like having our John Elway teach ya how to fly a canopy :)

Last i talked to them, the VRW team is not yet formed, but they are practicing and getting coaching, they just started this year with the Canopy Pioleting team, so maybe next year they will have an oficial VRW team, and.....hopefully in a few years i will be wearing the black and gold and be back home at Raeford
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Once or twice.
It is cool, like mentioned here, to be able to jump with the sports Top Dogs and, even better, at the end of the day hang out and have a drink with 'em as well.

Being a New "Old Guy" (or is it "Old" New Guy?) I can look back at my time in the sport and see that some of my students and past team mates are now part of that world class team.

So yeah, when you combine those unique things this is a really cool sport!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Come jump at Raeford. We are swarming with Goldren Knights (they are stationed here at Ft Bragg). Some make a little extra money doing the tandem and instructor thing in the civilian sector too! The Golden Knights are down to Earth, cool people! B|

Indeed. My rookie 4-way team had tunnel coaching and meet video/coaching by one of the Knights. Of course, we're kicking him out of the video slot for the last meet of the season but that's a different story ... :P I've also helped muff a few of them.

When the team is in town they're out on the weekends doing fun jumps with the rest of us.