Ron

Wingload BSR.

It may upset a small percentage of jumpers, those currently affected and thus 'held back' by the BSR, but aside from that I cannot concieve how it would do any 'harm' what so ever

There is a line of Top Notch canopy pilots, a small percentage of jumpers population, I guess you're one of them.
None of them had limitation here proposed. It would be great to know how many would have live and how many would achieve as they did, if they/you've had WL BSR (not everyone of them was gradually progressing like billvon did).

I bet that majority of present top canopy pilots wouldn't be so 'top' if they didn't have a chance to learn on fatal mistakes of others.

Freedom = I die - You learn and go on
WL BSR sounds like it will reduce this freedom.
What goes around, comes later.

I bet that majority of present top canopy pilots wouldn't be so 'top' if they didn't have a chance to learn on fatal mistakes of others.

So, you are suggesting we do nothing to prevent more people dying so they can continue to be used for a lesson that we already know that's written in blood?
I am all for social darwinism but that's a little fucked.

Then I'm all for it. You do NOT have my permission to die skydiving. Nobody does. Your death could fuck things up for me! It's unacceptable! If I could take that freedom away from you, I would!

Dave

Oh, suddenly we're so ethical!

Reminds me of medicine advancement during history.
Technical advancement too.
Hell, who would go to Moon and back without 'circumstances'
that happened without BSR of any kind at the time.

Introducing regulations might reduce loss and will certainly slow progress.
Empiricism is still way more effective than theory.

Where would skydiving be today, without 'licence to bounce'?
In 90's 80's 70's ?
What goes around, comes later.

Take 3 on the canopy-loading issue.

Take them out of the BSR's and put them in the license restriction part of the SIM. These are essentially recommendations; the S+TA decides which have to be enforced. The limits are:

A license - 1 psf max
B license - 1.1 psf max
C license - 1.3 psf max
D license - no limit

Also institute a canopy control syllabus, initally to be taught by any USPA instructional rating holder (from coach to I/E) then eventually taught by a canopy coach, once the canopy coach certification system is in place. Anyone who takes (and passes) the course is exempt from the requirements.

Most of the complaints about a BSR has been concerning the egregious loss of personal freedoms by any BSR. So we take it out of the BSR's, make it a recommendation, and put it on the shoulders of the S+TA's and DZO's. They now have something in the SIM to back them up if they do have to go head to head with a jumper who is absoultely, positively sure they can jump a Stiletto 97 at 39 jumps. That way the SIM serves to support the DZO's/S+TA's who are trying to do the right thing, but leaves it up to them (and the individual jumper.)

This, of course, will do the least of all the proposals to prevent canopy fatalities, since it's optional. But as far as I can tell removes the primary objection which is that it restricts people's freedoms. It also gets education to people who need it, which is the really critical part of the the proposal.

I'd be fine with this. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>Freedom = I die - You learn and go on
>WL BSR sounds like it will reduce this freedom.

All BSR's can potentially limit your freedom to die. I think we have proven you can still die (and teach others through your death) if you want to. This results in people learning - and one of the things we've learned is the utility of BSR's.

To put it another way, BSR's didn't come about because some non-skydiving fossil of a board member decided that no one should swoop (or jump through clouds, or pull at 1000 feet.) They came about because people did those things and died in relatively large numbers. We learned - and went on.

... make it a recommendation, and put it on the shoulders of the S+TA's and DZO's. They now have something in the SIM to back them up if they do have to go head to head with a jumper ...

I hope everyone realizes that this is where the decisions already reside. If DZO's and S&TA's would set standards it would be a big improvement. Most just don't have the guts to.

Local entities are more familiar with the issues and the specifics (the "data"), e.g., who is good at canopy control, etc.

This is how "government" is supposed to work. Leave as much of the decision making process as possible at the local level. If the higher levels of "government" make the rules, they are inferior, because they can't possibly understand all the issues, so they take the easy way out and just a make a "rule", which is often a knee-jerk reaction and not based on any substantial data.

(Dr. Kallend has been trying to make this point for a while now.)

By the way, does everyone remember the canopy progression card in the SIM? Using that can actually give DZO's and S&TA's something concrete to go on rather than just talking jump numbers. Bill v., so does your famous guide to downsizing.

[reply
=====================
Take 3 on the canopy-loading issue.

Take them out of the BSR's and put them in the license restriction part of the SIM. These are essentially recommendations; the S+TA decides which have to be enforced. The limits are:

A license - 1 psf max
B license - 1.1 psf max
C license - 1.3 psf max
D license - no limit

Also institute a canopy control syllabus, initally to be taught by any USPA instructional rating holder (from coach to I/E) then eventually taught by a canopy coach, once the canopy coach certification system is in place. Anyone who takes (and passes) the course is exempt from the requirements.

Most of the complaints about a BSR has been concerning the egregious loss of personal freedoms by any BSR. So we take it out of the BSR's, make it a recommendation, and put it on the shoulders of the S+TA's and DZO's. They now have something in the SIM to back them up if they do have to go head to head with a jumper who is absoultely, positively sure they can jump a Stiletto 97 at 39 jumps. That way the SIM serves to support the DZO's/S+TA's who are trying to do the right thing, but leaves it up to them (and the individual jumper.)

This, of course, will do the least of all the proposals to prevent canopy fatalities, since it's optional. But as far as I can tell removes the primary objection which is that it restricts people's freedoms. It also gets education to people who need it, which is the really critical part of the the proposal.

This one sounds the best, so long as it has some way of addressing the difference between showing up with a 1.3 triathlon and a 1.3 stiletto. As well as the difference between a 130# exit weight on a 100sqft canopy and a 230# exit on a 180. Both 1.3 but from my understanding radically different in how they are going to fly.

A question - IF a wingload BSR was passed, what would be the effect on jumpers who have been exceeding it prior to the passage? Would they be grandfathered like the D license holders who had 200ish jumps when the D requirement became 500?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I hope everyone realizes that this is where the decisions already reside. If DZO's and S&TA's would set standards it would be a big improvement. Most just don't have the guts to.

:o
Couldn't possibly be because they believe in free will or other similar reason. Must be cuz they're yellow. :S

If that's truly how members on the USPA board feel about drop zones... :(

Option 1:
Take Brian's chart, put it in the SIM as an appendix and have a wingload BSR that refers to it. People who pass a canopy course can skip one level but would have to continue taking canopy classes to stay one level ahead. In my experience it's the DZO/S&TA who enforce the BSRs anyway so nothing really changes. Like Dave said, in a few years people will start adhering to the rules because for them, it's the way it always was.

If your DZO cares to check your loading month to month then it's up to them, otherwise there's no way to enforce the rule anyway as people lose and gain weight. Just wait for people to drop 10 pounds when the canopy inspector came around, that'd be a laugh. What about weights that people wear?

Anyone exceeding the limit when the rule was introduced would need to pass a canopy course on that canopy in order to keep flying it and continue taking canopy courses each year to show that they were still able to fly it safely.

Change all waivers on drop zones to say that people accept that exceeding the published canopy limit is risky and could result in injury or death irrespective of passing a course. The waiver would also say that skydiving is risky and even adhering to the canopy bsr does not mean someone couldn't be injured.

Option 2:
Have loadings and canopy type restrictions associated with licenses and actually teach and test the canopy control work that's already in the SIM.

I think option 2 would be cheaper and easier and ultimately less effective.

Yes, I would be affected by these rules.

People don't use the Canopy Proficiency card as it is, but as you point out, change will eventually take place anyway...
Then again...people have always known that the recommended level for camera or wingsuit is 200 jumps.

If that's truly how members on the USPA board feel about drop zones...

That was taken somewhat out of context, sir. Perhaps I should have used the word "many" instead of "most". Or perhaps I should have qualified that by saying "the ones that whine".

I have heard DZO's and S&TA's whine about why USPA doesn't do something, when the power to make a decision is right there in their hands, and they won't use it.

Why won't they use it?

A question - IF a wingload BSR was passed, what would be the effect on jumpers who have been exceeding it prior to the passage? Would they be grandfathered like the D license holders who had 200ish jumps when the D requirement became 500?

What they did here was:

Firstly this BSR wasn't announced to it came as a sort of surprise to most fun jumpers.
You can keep flying the canopy you already have (and the surprise kept you from quickly buying another one I suppose).
If you want to change canopies and will end up in another (higher) category by doing so, you first have to meet the demands for that category.

So, for people with less than 700 jumps and jumping too small or too HP canopies according to the BSRs, this just meant that the next downsize was probably going to have to wait a little longer.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Nothing, as long as it relies on an evaluation of the jumper's abilities and awareness rather than on jump numbers, which have never yet been proven to be meaningful in this context.

Pinning your BSR on a meaningless parameter is counter-productive.

How?

Who will be hurt by such a jump number based BSR?

Someone who reaches the magic jump number but doesn't really have the ability.

You talk a lot but offer no viable solutions.

Incorrect. I HAVE proposed a solution based on testable skill and ability rather than a parameter (jump number) that no-one has been able to show will work.

Since USPA rejected the jump number BSR last time around, how about YOU consider something different and more meaningful which might have a chance of adoption?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I HAVE proposed a solution based on testable skill and ability

No, you have proposed that concept, but you haven't actually fleshed out the idea and given some examples of how to make it work. Let's face it, my idea is a simple one, generate a chart designating Wl by jump number with a few notations for extremely light jumpers or high altitude DZs, and then jumpers reference that chart to ensure their intended canopy falls within the confines of the chart. Your idea represents a signifanct undertaking in establishing test criteria, test administrators, and record keeping.

The real problem with your idea is that the challenge of jumping a canopy is not the calm, sunny day at the DZ where everything goes right. It's not the no-traffic hop n pop you make on your test jump(s), the real challenge is to be able to fly the canopy in difficult or stressful scenarios.

I'll reference flight training again, where the instructor can reach up and pull the power at any time, and see how the student reacts. They can partial-panel them in any circumstance and to any degree. How would you replicate that in canopy flight? How would you see how a person reacts in a challenging off-field landing? How about a last minute obstacle or collision avoidance?

There is no test for these things. You cannot replicate the effects of actual fear or stress and see who stands up and performs and who folds up like a napkin. This is why we (should) jump canopies that we can control with a degree of skill beyond what the canopy requires. This way when the shit does hit the fan, and your skills take a hit because of fear or stress, controlling the canopy is still within your reach.

It's been said many times that the clear, clam day at the DZ when everything goes right is no measure of a canopy pilot's skill, and should not be used to determine what you can 'get away with' in terms of canopy selection. Keeping that in mind, how do you test for the 'worst case scenario' without putting the jumper in undue harm? How do you know how much of the margin for error you can erase with one jumper or another without seeing them at their worst?

If that's truly how members on the USPA board feel about drop zones...

That was taken somewhat out of context, sir. Perhaps I should have used the word "many" instead of "most". Or perhaps I should have qualified that by saying "the ones that whine".

I have heard DZO's and S&TA's whine about why USPA doesn't do something, when the power to make a decision is right there in their hands, and they won't use it.

Why won't they use it?

Apologies, but it was the first line of your reply...

As for why, why not ask them their reasons....

As for why, why not ask them their reasons....

Good idea, perhaps I should ask more of them.

I never hear from the DZO's or S&TA's whose reason is "personal freedom", "too difficult to implement", or something like that. I only hear from the ones that want "government" to makes rules for them.

Damn, are we in Speaker's Corner or what?

Nothing, as long as it relies on an evaluation of the jumper's abilities and awareness rather than on jump numbers, which have never yet been proven to be meaningful in this context.

Pinning your BSR on a meaningless parameter is counter-productive.

How?

Who will be hurt by such a jump number based BSR?

Someone who reaches the magic jump number but doesn't really have the ability.

That already happens without the BSR. Next.

You talk a lot but offer no viable solutions.

Incorrect. I HAVE proposed a solution based on testable skill and ability rather than a parameter (jump number) that no-one has been able to show will work.

The proposal you suggest is vague at best. Please explain to us what YOU suggest as testable skills and ability.

>I have heard DZO's and S&TA's whine about why USPA doesn't do
>something, when the power to make a decision is right there in their hands,
>and they won't use it. Why won't they use it?

A few possible reasons:

1) Some have a commonly held opinion here, that jumpers are adults and therefore any restriction on what they are doing is wrong. I've met a few of these sorts of S+TA's. They often give advice, but will not take any action.

2) Some are not good HP canopy pilots and do not feel they should be giving advice or setting restrictions. A clear recommendation from USPA, or a BSR, would help them.

3) They do try to keep jumpers off very inappropriate canopies, but do not get support from their DZO (or other local DZO's.) When the local DZO does not support an S+TA's decisions, their decisions are meaningless. When other nearby DZO's don't support them, then the jumper simply moves on to another DZ, and another, until he finds one that either doesn't notice or doesn't care that he's having trouble.

It's amazing that you continue to pursue a flawed concept for a BSR that has already been rejected by USPA, after 7 years you STILL have no valid data to support your assertion that jump numbers are meaningful in this context, yet you oppose even considering an alternative.

Just amazing.

If you are going to implement any system of regulation that requires an individual to get permission to do something (a "license" if you like, in the generally accepted sense of the word) then the criterion should be demonstrated ability.

Just tying it to jump numbers is absurd. We have all met folks with tons of jumps who are still clueless, have poor judgment, or no situational awareness, and vice versa.

And just to make it clear to those who read into my post things that I haven't written: I am not opposed to a wingload BSR. I am opposed to a BSR based on jump numbers rather than ability.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Grown ass man or woman should be able to determine what they want to fly.

Of course..... that is until your actions risk MY life. Collisions are on the rise.

Do you feel the same way about min pull altitudes?

Wind speeds?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334