SStewart

Cutaway blues

I had a chop today in Ogden Utah. The main landed next to the interstate and it was seen laying there. By the time we got there it was gone. Apparently a concerned citizen decided to pick it up and drive away with it.

00 Diablo 135 with brand new risers and new kill line PC with a monkey fist handle. The canopy is neon rainbow colors and very little jumps, looks like new. Unfortunately I don't have the serial number.

If anyone sees a whuffo trying to sell a parachute from Utah that fits this description please send me a message.

Sniff, I am sure gonna miss it.:(
Onward and Upward!

Place ad in paper:

Lost: Parachute.

My parachute malfuntioned and landed by the highway. If you found it, please I need it for further scenes in my new action film and will award you for it's return...lots of dollars or a date.

A Jolie

Then you get the bastard!

Hi Stew,
Depends on your "Group" but on a chop someone would follow the freebag, someone else follow the main! If it's my chop, I'd definitely follow my main unless it's over some really "Hostile" territory. From "back when," at Perris, we'd see people out on the freeway stop, pick up a chopped canopy and motor on!! "Good bye canopy!!" That's when Ben employed Bill Van Tassel "The Bad Spot Cab Company" his primary job was to get to the chop before the canopy banditoes!! Remember Bill and Claude, Blue skyz guys!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I agree with an ad. Back in 2003 I had my hanger broken into and had some tools an my airplane logs stolen.
I put an ad in the paper with a ridiculous reward of $10,000 (no questions asked) for the return of my log books. The very next day I got a call and I set up for the Detective to take my place. It was a teen who also ratted on all his buddies (as most Teenagers will do-Suburban ones anyway) and I got my stuff back. Didn't pay a dime.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Bump
Just a reminder to write down all your serial numbers. I have all the serial nubers from all my other gear but I recently hooked up this canopy and forgot to write it down. I know, stupid on my part. I got lucky this time.
I found out today a state trooper watched it land and then saw saw someone pull over and try to stuff it into his car. The officer confiscated it from him and it has been sitting in the state police property room all weekend.

I am a happy camperB|B|B|

Onward and Upward!

Bump
Just a reminder to write down all your serial numbers. I have all the serial nubers from all my other gear but I recently hooked up this canopy and forgot to write it down. I know, stupid on my part. I got lucky this time.
I found out today a state trooper watched it land and then saw saw someone pull over and try to stuff it into his car. The officer confiscated it from him and it has been sitting in the state police property room all weekend.

I am a happy camperB|B|B|

NICE! Make sure you bring donuts when you go pick it up! :P;)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I found out today a state trooper watched it land and then saw saw someone pull over and try to stuff it into his car. The officer confiscated it from him

Shouldn't he have arrested the person for attempted felony theft? Aren't there some federal laws pertaining to aviation commerce that keep Famer McNastyies from really keeping cutaways, too?

I guess the guy just claimed he saw it laying there and was going to pick it up so he could return it. Maybe his intentions were good, who knows. I did not actually talk to the trooper who grabbed it and just heard this second hand from another officer.

When I went to pick it up the guy asked me what happened and acted awfully suspicious. I got the vibe like maybe they were going to charge me with something. (littering? reckless endangerment of motorists or something?) I could just see some trucker going 80 looking through the windshield and thinking WTF is that?

Anyway I got it back and it seems to be in perfect shape.
Onward and Upward!

I found out today a state trooper watched it land and then saw saw someone pull over and try to stuff it into his car. The officer confiscated it from him

Shouldn't he have arrested the person for attempted felony theft?

Well, you'd have to prove criminal intent. Under this specific scenario, that might be difficult. I could easily see two different well-intentioned jurors disagreeing with each other on whether these facts did or did not prove criminal intent. It's a close enough case that it's not unreasonable for the police officer on the scene to use his own discretion.

Aren't there some federal laws pertaining to aviation commerce that keep Famer McNastyies from really keeping cutaways, too?

If there is such a federal law, I didn't find it with the quick search I just did. However, state law might (and in some states does) make that unlawful. There is a "common-law" (i.e., non-statutory) principle that failing to return "lost" property where the owner was known or reasonably ascertainable is considered a form of theft. And some states do have specific statutes expressly codifying this principle of law. So in most US states, when Farmer McNasty, whose property is clearly near the DZ, fails to either return a cutaway parachute to the DZ or turn it in to the authorities, he's probably on shaky legal ground.

Depends on your "Group" but on a chop someone would follow the freebag, someone else follow the main!

I follow down the jumper that chopped first and foremost. People get hurt landing under reserves, too, and sometimes they have to land off. Better to make sure they are OK.

Now, if I see someone already following the jumper, I don't mind chasing his main.

And if I see someone following the jumper, and someone else following the main, I might chase the freebag. Seems like the freebag always lands within 30 meters of the main, so it might be redundant to go after the bag. And I expect chasing the bag will be less common when more people are jumping systems like the Skyhook.

If I was single and had no children, I might be tempted to catch the main, but people have died doing that, and I have two kids. So, I'll just follow it to the ground.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD