Chiquita

FYI for those without insurance or even those with insurance

I was talking with an AFLAC agent the other day and he said that as of the beginning of this month skydiving is covered on their policies. It is supplemental insurance but you do not need to have regular insurance to get it. It won't cover as much as regular insurance but at least it is better than having nothing. They have several different policies for different things.

If anyone is in Arizona and is interested in finding out more I can refer you to the agent I spoke with, not sure if he can giv coverage to people in other states or not. But there are several agents in each state I am sure.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Wow, since last year I tried to get supplemental disability insurance. I literally talked to 8 companies and all 8 denied me. Four of them for the jumping, the other four because of my job.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I've had Aflac for a while, and they used to be the only company to cover insurance, and then they didn't, and now they do again. However, I DO have a company that is not a supplement, but a major medical that DOES cover skydiving AND scuba diving and is also international for all you travelers. You can get a plan for as few as 5 days or long term. PM me for any information and I will hook you up with my insurance agent!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Yeah, my employer offers insurance...but "parachute operations" are in the clause for not being covered. This plan is for those that want it. It costs about the same (have seen it more and less depending on what your employer pays) but also, my employer's insurance does not cover me when he takes us all to Little Caimans or Honduras...thus we buy a short term from my agent and we're good to go!! Just sayin!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

d_squared - Not in Arizona they don't, but I don't know if different states have different regulations. But the agent I talked to said it didn't matter if you even had regular health insurance, you could still get aflac insurance.

tetra316 - I would check your insurance, nearly all health insurance (employer provided or not) does not include skydiving or any other extreme sports type of activity. Any injuries related to that will most likely be denied.

That is what most people do, I would think anyway. But in the case of a more serious injury I don't think that would work. I was letting people know more for the case of a major injury (that would not be so easily explained with a typical injury) and for the ones that don't have regular health insurance. Also, the quote I got from the agent was a lot less than what I pay a month for the insurance I get through work, and it is better than having nothing.

I've had four different jobs (and six different insurance companies - five group plans and one individual) since I started skydiving and none of them has excluded skydiving. To tell people that "most" exclude it is possibly inaccurate.

The key is getting your detailed certificate of coverage and reviewing it, not relying on blanket statements ...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

tetra316 - I would check your insurance, nearly all health insurance (employer provided or not) does not include skydiving or any other extreme sports type of activity. Any injuries related to that will most likely be denied.

That's not true in my state. Just curious - how many states are affected, and where did you get that info? Thanks.

I've had four different jobs (and six different insurance companies - five group plans and one individual) since I started skydiving and none of them has excluded skydiving. To tell people that "most" exclude it is possibly inaccurate.

The key is getting your detailed certificate of coverage and reviewing it, not relying on blanket statements ...

I KNOW FOR A FACT that mine (work provided) covered skydiving injuries. AND my injury occured out of state while on vacation.

It was covered.

I did have to resubmit some things (but typically not what you would think... like the ambulance ride - it was an unstable fracture following a trauma. Re-submitted and it was covered)

But READ YOUR POLICY! Be upfront with the agents and make sure the fine print doesn't cover that exclusion.

Insurance companies ARE a bit frustrating at time, but especially if you don't know what you are/aren't covered by. Don't blame the insurance if you "just assumed" and didn't know what you had.

I've got employer provided/subsidized insurance. I've been injured skydiving, never lied about it and it was covered. However, I have a friend who found out about a "dangerous sports exclusion" on his policy after he was severely injured. After that, I tried to get a copy of my insurance policy through my employer and the insurance company directly, fine print and all. It was virtually impossible. I finally gave up.

I have AFLAC as does almost everyone I work with. My company brought a rep in to make it available to us, and does payroll deduction, but it was explained to us that we were signing up as individuals. Because we were joining as part of a group we received a significant discount, but anyone (in Texas anyway) could call the same rep and sign up for the same coverage regardless of employment.

I have had no claims, however two of my co-workers have and have been extremely impressed with how quickly the AFLAC reps handled their claims (talking money in hand within days). AFLAC is in no way supposed to take the place of full medical insurance, but it can certainly help out.
Killing threads since 2004.

Or just get a job with an employer who offers insurance then you won't have to worry about coverage.:P

Or move to Canada or Europe.:P
Speaker's Corner in 3 -2 - 1 . . .;)

Hi John

You must have missed the diclaimer " This is a public service announcement" so its all good:P

FWIW the falling off the ladder,roof, tree excuse only works if the injured is delivered to the ER by family or friends.

If medics are doing the pick up at the DZ your busted.B|
One Jump Wonder

Medical insurances seem to cover you no matter how dumb you were at the time of injury. Life insurance is another question. When I switched life insurance companies a few years back for better rates, race car driving, skydiving, and I believe scuba and mountain climbing all came up.

I was accepted without a rate increase. Must be 'cause I'm a tandem master.:)

d_squared - Not in Arizona they don't, but I don't know if different states have different regulations. But the agent I talked to said it didn't matter if you even had regular health insurance, you could still get aflac insurance.

AFLAC is disability insurance, not health/medical insurance. There is a difference.

Health/medical pays your medical bills, usually directly to the provider. It covers the whole bill, no matter how big (some treatments, especially cancer are incredibly expensive) after a co-pay and/or deductable. Skydiving and other "extreme" sports usually are covered.

Disability inurance pays out a set amount directly to you. How much and for how long depend on the policy. You can use that money for anything you want. Rent, groceries, utility bills, car payments, beer.
Disability insurance very often has exclusions for risky activities. AFLAC has always excluded skydiving (until now I guess).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Telling a doctor how you were injured is not medical fraud/insurance fraud. You do not have to tell a provider how you were injured at all if you do not want to. That is your choice, however to get the best care for the injury it is in your best interest to be honest with the provider seeing you.

Insurance fraud/medical fraud is just a bit difference..;)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I beg to differ. If you lie to the Dr., he will eventually bill your ins. who will likely not further invesstigate it and simply pay the bill for a covered fall.

You don't have to talk to the FBI, but if you do and lie, it's a crime.

What is medical fraud?

You can tell a doctor anything you would like for whatever the reason you are being seen for. That is not medical fraud. Medical fraud is when the doctors office/hospitals/labs/radiological facilities bill your insurance for rendering care/services you did not receive or up coding.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly