cocheese

Do you have medical insurance?

Based on the situation I will donate money to help someone who is in need. Even if the person has major medical insurance they are still going to have a percentage to pay off.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I've been on crappy medical insurance (but really the best I can afford) for over a year. It has figured in quite a bit as to the amount of risks I'm willing to take at this time.

I think it's complete bullshit to jump if you can't afford insurance that will cover life style altering injuries. It's not dying I'm afraid of (that can be over in an instant), it's being seriously injured, bankrupting and screwing up other people's lives.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was wondering if someone would bring this up. Considering that a young, healthy male can pick up a health insurance policy with a high deductable just in case of very catastrophic injury for very inexpensively.... as in under $50/month, with several more at under $100/month. I just did a quick search on www.ehealthinsurance.com (how I got my health coverage when my husband was unemployed) which is where I'm getting these numbers.

So if someone has the money to go flying all over the country and skydive, yet they can't take two to four jumps a month worth of cash to get at least some form of health insurance coverage, they won't get any donations from me. Very poor planning on someone else's part regarding insurance is not my responsibility to take care of. My health care dollars are going to be in the end supporting them, so in my mind, they don't need any more of my money too.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I agree with you about having insurance and i dont want to get this moved to Sc with my reply. If a person can buy soda, cigarettes,alcohol,or coffee every day at starbucks, and eat fast food several times a week, then they can afford medical.

Now in regardes to the youngman who was seriously injured, if i read correctly he is 18yrs old. I dont know many 18 yr olds that can grasp the concept of not having/having insurance.
The family can apply to SS once he gets to a rehab facility. It is a long process but he can get coverage early along with dissability. Again it is a long process and will take time but worth it in the long run.

Maybe some of the younger and even older individuals on this site will learn from this tragic event and get the coverage they need to participate in this sport for the what ifs.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Very well said.

I agree that 18 year olds don't always 'get it', especially 'invincible' males that like to think they are exceptions to rules and have mad skillz. However, that's what PARENTS are for. It's our job to teach kids about things like the importance of insurance, budget priorities, hell, at 18 most kids can still stay on their parent's plans (I was covered under my parents til I was out of grad school at age 24).

I am the parent of a 16 year old, and I'm starting from scratch on these independent living skills as we've only had him for 6 months. He opened his first savings account yesterday and is already asking the financial advisor when he can open a retirement savings account. He's actively asking questions about health insurance because we've showed him his present (state) plan and my husband's PPO so that he can weigh which is better for him once his adoption is finalized.

He didn't know about these things by osmosis... as parents we actively are teaching him how to be a responsible adult.

I agree with parents educating their children on the basics of life. If more parents emphasized those and how important they are most people would not become a burden on society later in life. People do as they see and if they see live for the day and rely on others to survive and not themselves, then that is how they will continue to be.

I was just wondering about how the adoption process was going for you the other day. It sounds as if it is going well..:)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Thanks you for the link. I'm going to print it up and keep it in my gear bag, so I can give it to people as I discover they can use it. Just a head's-up to people who do go to that site, be sure to read the plans carefully and not just go for the cheapest. I clicked on a few, and the less expensive ones have copays in the range of 30% for emergency/hospital care. A $100,000 injury, easy to do in skydiving, will still leave you with $30,000 + annual deductible (typically $3-5,000), which is easily enough to bankrupt most people. At least the doctors/hospital will get 70% of their expenses, not great but better than settling for nothing. A slightly more expensive plan will lower the copays to the point where you won't bankrupt yourself/family/friends. Even that, for an 18-25 yr old, is only about 4 skydives/month.

I agree with the other sentiments you expressed also.

Don

If what you are looking for a is high deductible plan, look into HSA compatible plans. You dont _have_ to get a HSA account if you get one of those plan, but you can, and ifs you can afford that savings system, it may be a good way to save pre-tax money to be spent on healthcare.

I just did a quick search, and for a 18 year old male, I found some with a $5k deductible and 0% copay between $36 and $100 per month.

Not sure if this link will work, but start here: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Census.fs?ehi.action=changeCensus&mcei.html.screen=SelectTopMenu&mcei.html.nextscreen=NA&type=HSA&mcei.app.terminalID=__tid__7_
Remster

I agree about reading the individual plans.

The cheapest for my husband and I together was about $200/month. But I went for a $400/month that covered both of us with a plan with no deductable, lower copays, and was a PPO so I didn't need to go through the hassle of a referral... and this was $400/month I voluntarily paid, with an unemployed husband and more than 60% of our household income out the window, plus just starting the process of adopting a teenager so an extra person to have to support. I even sold my backup rig as well as a brand new rifle to ensure that our costs, including health insurance, would be covered. Since we are both instructors, skydiving was additional income for us, so we needed to get that insurance so that we could continue to skydive.

Your poll is lacking an option.

"No, and if I fuck myself up skydiving I don't expect anyone to pay for it other than myself"

Clearly you are rich, then. Surely you have the money to cover the extent of anything that could happen, otherwise if you do not pay up in time, who does?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

"No, and if I fuck myself up skydiving I don't expect anyone to pay for it other than myself"

Clearly you are rich, then. Surely you have the money to cover the extent of anything that could happen, otherwise if you do not pay up in time, who does?

Hi PLF

Poor folks (among others) don't have medical insurance , don't have money to pay for their medical bill when they get sick/injured and they don't "expect" anyone to bail them out. [:/]

"Who pays" for their unpaid bills, I'm not going to go there:) but I think we all know the answer.[:/]

This thread reapears occasionaly after a nasty incident and might even be worthy of a sticky.
One Jump Wonder

Clearly you are rich, then.

Absolutely. I'm rolling in dough. Aren't all college students?

Surely you have the money to cover the extent of anything that could happen, otherwise if you do not pay up in time, who does?

Who's going to pay if I get hurt? I am. Can I pay for it up front? No. Would I pay it at the rate of $20 a month for the rest of my life? Yes.

I can get insurance. For $300+ a month considering my age and pre-existing conditions. That's close to 25% of the take home pay of someone working a $10 an hour job. That's a fucking rip off.

You may be right though. I just may fuck myself up real bad and the taxpayers just may have to pay for it. In which case you can be comforted by the knowledge that the care I get will be substandard at best, and I'll likely die way sooner than I should have because of it. :)

Absolutely. I'm rolling in dough. Aren't all college students?

Um, no.

There are many more important things to pay for first in life, than expensive hobbies.

If I remember correctly--when I was in college--you once said I was not a "real jumper" for paying my bills (including medical insurance) before paying for a jump.

We agree to disagree.

Can I pay for it up front? No. Would I pay it at the rate of $20 a month for the rest of my life? Yes.

Cool. I'm going to order a brand new custom rig with a skyhook, Cypres II, and all the bells and whistles, from a well known skydiving gear shop. I thought I'd have to save for a long time to be able to pay for it, but now I know I can pay it off $20 a month! I'm a little surprised the gear shop won't mind that they have to pay thousands up front, and won't get paid back for years, but if they're cool with it so am I. Hey, with a business model like that maybe they'll go out of business and I'll never have to pay up.:S

Don

Pissed off at your remark? Not at all.

It is reasonable to believe if you are of the position going for a jump is more important than paying a credit card bill, that you might also maintain such priorities when it comes to your medical expenses.

In either scenario, if you do not pay, I do. And, "OMFG" that is what pisses me off.

"Poor folks" cannot afford to skydive. There are plenty of people who are likely cash strapped because they skydive.

I find it to be incredibly irresponsible and a display of poor judgment in the face of a sport that commands sound judgment. If one can't afford the consequences, one should avoid the peril.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Can I pay for it up front? No. Would I pay it at the rate of $20 a month for the rest of my life? Yes.

Cool. I'm going to order a brand new custom rig with a skyhook, Cypres II, and all the bells and whistles, from a well known skydiving gear shop. I thought I'd have to save for a long time to be able to pay for it, but now I know I can pay it off $20 a month! I'm a little surprised the gear shop won't mind that they have to pay thousands up front, and won't get paid back for years, but if they're cool with it so am I. Hey, with a business model like that maybe they'll go out of business and I'll never have to pay up.:S

Don

ummmmmm- that's kind of how it works with medical bills - medical care is a necessity, a new custom rig is not. [:/]

+1.

There's a specific reason hospitals offer payment plans with low payments and little or no interest - people who can't afford insurance get sick, get in accidents, need to get their kids immunized, etc. Then they need medical help.

Rig manufacturers don't offer the same payment plans because you don't need the rig and because they'd get taken advantage of.

Nobody's out there femuring just so they can screw over the hospital.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird