Dumpster

Looking for a motion-activated video recorder

Hey - We've had recent problems with some locals pilfering our cars and garage. I think they are coming by alomost nightly. Seems like the one (rare) night we forget to lock one of the cars or leave the garage open, is the night something comes up missing, like my GPS (which was in the glove box when it came up missing) or my Diamondback.

So, I'd like to get a motion activated video recorder and see if we can find out who is stopping by and checking to see if the doors are unlocked.

Thanks !!

Easy Does It

Diamondback

Someone stole your rattlesnake? .... actually, there's a thought... leave a rattlesnake in you car... that'll teach the theives a lesson.

LOL. I THINK he means a bicycle. ;)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Hey - We've had recent problems with some locals pilfering our cars and garage. I think they are coming by alomost nightly. Seems like the one (rare) night we forget to lock one of the cars or leave the garage open, is the night something comes up missing, like my GPS (which was in the glove box when it came up missing) or my Diamondback.

So, I'd like to get a motion activated video recorder and see if we can find out who is stopping by and checking to see if the doors are unlocked.

Thanks !!

We have the same problem. alot of online stores sell Wireless based CCTV for about £50, not sure what the costs are in the US. However most common criminals cover their heads against CCTV. You could buy a wireless covert camera and "plant" an old unwanted electronic gadget in a way that you catch their face[:/]
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

You can do it in software using your P.C and a Web cam.
Google P.C Camera motion detection

Problem there is he's going to end up with REALLY shitty pictures that probably won't be able to actually ID anyone.

Unless he wants to risk the webcam/PC by leaving it in the garage, the resolution at the distance he needs to place the camera simply isn't adequate. Oh, he'll capture an image, but it won't be actually useful.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm checking it out. I plan to make it as "covert" as possible and still get a good I.D. on the people. From what I hear from the neighbors, this has been going on for a long time. They are very good at not getting caught, we have plenty of cops, just never at the right place / right time.

Easy Does It

Yeah - the shithooks swiped my bicycle. Nice one too.

yeah i had a friend who rode a diamondback back when we raced BMX/ did freestyle.

what kind was it?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Have you looked into the motion activated cameras that deer hunters use to scout out areas.

The cameras can be camoflaged as well.

We even used them in Iraq along bad parts of MSR Tampa to catch guys putting in roadside bombs in old craters. They actually worked on helping ID some folks.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

That's exactly what I'm looking at. I can set one up behind one of the windows in the garage door, but I don't know that they'll work through glass. I willing to go a few extra $$ to get one that will give high enough resolution in IR to ID the punks. Be even better if I can catch them over several several visits.

Easy Does It

Reminds me of the motion activated camera I set up in the bedroom to make home movies with my now ex-wife...

Never could get the damned thing to work.

:P

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

http://www.videovisionsecurity.com/default.asp

The above link goes to the company my younger brother Rich owns. If I recall correctly, there's a link to check out the video recorder in action.

I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. He's a really smart dude when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck!! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

http://www.videovisionsecurity.com/default.asp

The above link goes to the company my younger brother Rich owns. If I recall correctly, there's a link to check out the video recorder in action.

I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. He's a really smart dude when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck!! B|

Thats what i have and have never had a problem! ( camera digital sytem with I/R cameras. All entry and exit points covered as is most of the yard:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Contact her brother and see if he can help you out. Most DVR card's are for 4 slot. The system (DVR) can be installed in a mini PC box. Just tell him what you want and he can help you out. But it cost quit a bit! Depending on what kind of hookup you can get, a 3 camera system will cost from maybe 3-5k. Just depending on the quallity. You can get a cheap system for around 1k but i wouldn't recomend it.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!