JohnRich

Can you identify these feathers?

I found these feathers on a recent hike in southern Utah, along the Paria River northwest of Page, Arizona. I've been wondering from what kind of bird they came. The reverse side of the feathers was all black. No other clues were present - just these two feathers laying on the ground. They're beautiful. Got any idea?

The 2nd photo is unrelated, but shows the scenery in the area - just as beautiful as the feathers!

Red winged blackbird

Doesn't look at all like that to me. RWBB feathers have much shorter red section, a color transistion, and IIRC the color is red on both sides. John's photo has reddish on one side only, and it seems to be the underside, as well as I can tell from the photo.

I found these feathers on a recent hike in southern Utah, along the Paria River northwest of Page, Arizona. I've been wondering from what kind of bird they came. The reverse side of the feathers was all black. No other clues were present - just these two feathers laying on the ground. They're beautiful. Got any idea?

The 2nd photo is unrelated, but shows the scenery in the area - just as beautiful as the feathers!

They look an awful lot like the boa that I wore to the Flying Hellfish Toga party this summer, but since it was in Chicago, I don't think that is where they came from
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

warpedskydiver: Red winged blackbird

Those feathers may look a little red in the photo, but that's due to the lighting. They're actually bright orange. So I don't think it's a red-winged blackbird.

Macaroni. Quade: If JR sticks it in his cap, I'll agree.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did with them, for a while. Until they started getting in the way when dipping water out of the stream with the hat to pour over my head, or dabbing sweat off my face. I'm no Yankee Doodle. See the photo.

Quade: You might try: http://www.lab.fws.gov/featheratlas/index.php

That's a neat database, but the only way to search is if you already know the bird you're after. Ugh. No way to search for orange & black feathers.

PLFXpert: Altamira oriole? American redstart?

The Altamira oriole is black and orange all right, but his range is in central America, and doesn't extend above central Mexico. They don't come anywhere close to Utah.

The American Redstart looks like a good possibility!