Misternatural

PSA- the ol' bait and switch

Ever been to a store and noticed that a more expensive item is in the spot where an out of stock cheaper version of the same item is supposed to be on the shelf?

This is a common practice of shelf stockers I have noticed over the years, since prices are computerized most shoppers don't notice, grab the expensive item and unwittingly buy it.

well I recently fixed the problem by getting the manager and showing them the switched item...bam-I got the better item at the lower price.

next time something that is out of stock is switched let the store manager know....that'll cut down on this BS in a hurry:ph34r:
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

...since prices are computerized most shoppers don't notice, grab the expensive item and unwittingly buy it.

Another variation of that is something my wife catches all the time grocery shopping...the price of the item as marked isn't the price the scanner at the check-out shows.

We shop at 2 or 3 grocery stores in town, they all seem to have that 'problem'...complaining to the management only results in getting the right price right then, nobody changes anything so the next person buying that item also gets overcharged.

An occasionall oversight is understandable, but this happens more often than not. It seems to be on-going and a planned profit generator. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have brought up the fact several times, not every time i see it happen, but mostly I take the time to point out that the boxes of food with the "20% More Free" costs more than the same item, right next to it without the extra 20% and the bigger box.:| I mean - can someone PLEASE start doing some math here? HOW can it be free when it costs MORE!?>:(

I usually end up with the getting the whole box free or the difference plus 10% back.:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My wife does mental math at the grocery store, keeping the total in her head until checkout. She is amazingly only off by $2 or $3 most of the time and will not leave until she finds the error, which is usually an item priced different than as marked. She is ruthless in a grocery store over prices.

Me? I'm the sucker they are looking for. [:/] I rarely check the price of anything. I want - I buy.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

>complaining to the management only results in getting the right price right then, nobody changes anything

I was in a big box store and I made a loud show of how "This is a common practice bla bla bla" The manager's equally loud response was "Well it's certainly not a practice of H....D.... if anything is mis stocked you get it at that price"

Had I known this- I would have been shopping for a large generator instead:|:ph34r:

D S #3.1415

>complaining to the management only results in getting the right price right then, nobody changes anything

I was in a big box store and I made a loud show of how "This is a common practice bla bla bla" The manager's equally loud response was "Well it's certainly not a practice of H....D.... if anything is mis stocked you get it at that price"

Had I known this- I would have been shopping for a large generator instead:|:ph34r:

Did that - Got a 50KW dollar generator, Electric Cutoff saw and a 10 Ga 100 ft. extension cord for $750 package deal - evidently the stocker put the wrong tag on the generator and it was for a 20KW generator.

Nice that they honored it.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>evidently the stocker put the wrong tag on the generator

>Nice that they honored it.

Yes Sometimes it works in your favor too..It's like way underbidding a job....you pretty much have to eat it then.... so do the retailers.
D S #3.1415

...since prices are computerized most shoppers don't notice, grab the expensive item and unwittingly buy it.

Another variation of that is something my wife catches all the time grocery shopping...the price of the item as marked isn't the price the scanner at the check-out shows.

We shop at 2 or 3 grocery stores in town, they all seem to have that 'problem'...complaining to the management only results in getting the right price right then, nobody changes anything so the next person buying that item also gets overcharged.

An occasionall oversight is understandable, but this happens more often than not. It seems to be on-going and a planned profit generator. :S

Yep, I have this happen on an occasional basis too.

I'd be more willing to believe it is an honest mistake if the overcharges didn't outnumber the undercharges by about 10:1>:(
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Did that - Got a 50KW dollar generator, Electric Cutoff saw and a 10 Ga 100 ft. extension cord for $750 package deal - evidently the stocker put the wrong tag on the generator and it was for a 20KW generator.

err 50kW, what do you do, sell juice to the grid:ph34r:

Gone fishing

There was a time when grocery stores used Fluorescent lights with a pinkish hue in the meat sections. It made the meats look more appetizing.

FDA banned this practice.

Trickery, just like Triangle Skydiving Center :|

In some states there are laws in regards to items being marked one price and ringing up higher. In Connecticut, if I remember correctly, if an item rings up higher than mark by law you are supposed to get that item free. So check the laws in your state and see what they say.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

err 50kW, what do you do, sell juice to the grid:ph34r:

It powered an electric welder, some masonry saws and a large resistance heater

In some states there are laws in regards to items being marked one price and ringing up higher. In Connecticut, if I remember correctly, if an item rings up higher than mark by law you are supposed to get that item free. So check the laws in your state and see what they say.

In WI they just have to give you the displayed price.

But if the get too many complaints, or fail the random checks that the Consumer Protection authorities (they have a real name that escapes me right now) do, then they get "special attention", more frequent checks and fines if they are out of compliance.
K-Mart got nailed a few years ago, but that's the only one I remember.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

On a related note... am I wrong to believe that if I buy a tow hitch from a dealership for a new car purchased through the dealership that the tow hitch should in fact be the car manufacturers part in lieu of an aftermarket part?

even if it isn't spelled out that that's what is being installed?

and of course I don't know this until after the job has been done... >:(

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

On a related note... am I wrong to believe that if I buy a tow hitch from a dealership for a new car purchased through the dealership that the tow hitch should in fact be the car manufacturers part in lieu of an aftermarket part?

even if it isn't spelled out that that's what is being installed?

and of course I don't know this until after the job has been done... >:(

Sorry, but no. (or actually yes, you are wrong)

Dealer installed isn't manufacturer installed.

And be careful (read the fine print) because certain installations will void the factory warranty, even if done by the dealer.
For example, anything that goes through a body panel (outside luggage rack for example) can void the warranty on body rust because the integrity of the paint/corrosion resistant stuff has been compromised by drilling the bolt holes.

>if an item rings up higher than mark by law you are supposed to get that item free.

:)
I still think if you are within earshot of other customers you can get your way regardless. Management hates anything that draws attention -it's really bad for business.

In a related story many store shelves are stocked by the manufacturer or distributor and not the store employees. A friend of mine was in the beer distributor business and told me about the small shelf space wars he had with competing distributors-they move each others stock around to highlight their own and they mess with each other a lot. Shelf space is like some sort of turf to them I guess.

D S #3.1415

Sorry, but no. (or actually yes, you are wrong)

Dealer installed isn't manufacturer installed.

And be careful (read the fine print) because certain installations will void the factory warranty, even if done by the dealer.
For example, anything that goes through a body panel (outside luggage rack for example) can void the warranty on body rust because the integrity of the paint/corrosion resistant stuff has been compromised by drilling the bolt holes.

FWIW the tow hitch is only available as a dealer accessory... there is a toyota accessory and then there are a large number of aftermarket options (it's my understanding that this aftermarket option doesn't void the warranty, or so I was told...)

The issue I have is that they weren't clear as to what I was purchasing... I suppose I could have been clearer as to what I was asking for... it just pisses me off and now I have to live with them being shady... and me being stupid. :|>:(

>them being shady... and me being stupid.

Don't be so tough on yourself- there's no such thing as stupid when it comes to business- there is only clarity, written contracts, and understanding. Everything else is just a way to try to rip people off.

the days of PT Barnum are gone my friend.

fool me once-my bad, fool me twice-I'm peeling some skin off of somebody.
D S #3.1415

>them being shady... and me being stupid.

Don't be so tough on yourself- there's no such thing as stupid when it comes to business- there is only clarity, written contracts, and understanding. Everything else is just a way to try to rip people off.

Which is exactly what they've done... and if they don't resolve the issue (which they still might but I'm not holding my breath)

Then my only real recourse is to call toyota customer service and give them a poor rating... because frankly it was unclear what they were selling and that is a poor business practice and doesn't warrant a positive reward... in the least bit...

I'm telling you if you go there when other customers are around they will scramble to keep you happy. Business is so tough these days that no one can afford dissatisfied customers, there is just NO wiggle room anymore.

I know this because I have a business and in the past when times are good you can afford a little slippage... now - no way in hell can you let anything get by-ever so small, you have to make sure everyone is 200% happy or your competitors surely will.
D S #3.1415