skymama

Cheap gift ideas

Use this thread to share ideas for cheap gifts, whether it be something homemade that you do or add deals that you find on the web.

Here's my idea for the day: Through Dec. 12th, Amazon.com has 75 different one-year subscriptions for magazines for $10 or less! I'm giving one for a gift and am getting two for me. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

+1 I give "Air and Space" magazine to my dad who worked 45 years in aeronautical design. It's one of my favorites to come in the mail, too.

Other cheap gift ideas?
- Costco has movie passes, $15 a pair, for the movie lover.
-A nice 6 pack of specialty beer, wrapped and under the tree.:)-M&M's, never a bad choice.
-Coupons for free pack jobs. Who wouldn't want those?
-Gift pack of boxes of tea or coffee.

One of my favorite gifts was from my young son a few years ago. With all my garage stuff and reloading equipment, I have a lot of stuff to store and keep track of. He gave me a few packs of self adhesive labels and some good marking pens. Not very expensive, but very thoughtful and useful for me.

I noticed that all my replies are consumables, something to be used up. I have 99% of the "stuff" I need anymore, and much more "stuff" that I really don't need. I love my friends and extended family, but I really don't need $hit for Christmas. ;)Just come by and celebrate with us. B|

I was logged in and didn't know if it would link it to my page. I don't need a bunch of skydivers ordering things through my account! :ph34r:

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was logged in and didn't know if it would link it to my page. I don't need a bunch of skydivers ordering things through my account! :ph34r:

I can understand that...:D

Plus, you knew I would make a clicky for you...;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Over the years, I have taken to donating to the "Make a Wish" foundation or "St. Jude's Hospital." Both organization's will have a certificate or card they will send or that you can download to send the intended gift-receiver. For as little as $5.00.

EDIT: http://www.wish.org/help/donate/cards_and_certs
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

On a few occasions, when work wasn't bringing in the cash needed to support a Christmas fund I created gifts from what I had.

One year is was re-gifting (unemployed that year). Another was giving things from around the house that I really didn't need and others would enjoy (disability that year). And yet a third was having my parents sit for portraits then printing and framing them and giving those to the family. Love digital SLR cameras. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

And yet a third was having my parents sit for portraits then printing and framing them and giving those to the family. Love digital SLR cameras. :^)

ltdiver

Not for Christmas, but just a good idea.

My dad had many old 35mm slides. I took them to
a Walgreens and had them scanned to CDs.

I copied them to a directory and gave them meaningful names.
Then I made 10 copies each and distributed them to family.

Also, the old Super-8 movies that we copied to VHS - same thing - copied to DVD and distributed.

If my house burns, they still exist elsewhere.

It mostly takes time and is not that expensive,
but highly appreciated.

People should go to their parents/grandparents and
offer to do this. You can also scan their treasured photos.

Parents/grandparents would love to spend time with
you and tell you the story behind all of their photos.
They really don't need a new shirt.

My dad had many old 35mm slides. I took them to a Walgreens and had them scanned to CDs. I copied them to a directory and gave them meaningful names. Then I made 10 copies each and distributed them to family. Also, the old Super-8 movies that we copied to VHS - same thing - copied to DVD and distributed.

I understand there is a great difference in quality in the firms that convert 8mm film. Any advice on how to choose one?
Tom B

My dad had many old 35mm slides. I took them to a Walgreens and had them scanned to CDs. I copied them to a directory and gave them meaningful names. Then I made 10 copies each and distributed them to family. Also, the old Super-8 movies that we copied to VHS - same thing - copied to DVD and distributed.

I understand there is a great difference in quality in the firms that convert 8mm film. Any advice on how to choose one?

My sister had the 8mm film converted to VHS.
She went somewhere that was focused on film/cameras, not just
as a side-business.

Magazines are a good gift because the receiver keeps getting reminded of the gift throughout the year.

I feel awkward receiving magazine subscriptions as gifts. More accurately, I feel awkward when the subscription is nearly up, because I feel obligated to renew a subscription that I may not otherwise be inclined to renew simply because it might seem like an insult to the person who gifted the original subscription if I let the subscription expire.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I've made decorative candles for folks during lean years. Take a big candle and wrap carefully with string -- it makes kind of a neat effect. Obviously it's not a good idea with small ones, though.

There's always cooking if you cook, or making stuff. But something that's small and well-made is generally better than something that's fancier but not so well made (unless it was made by a child -- they get a pass :ph34r:).

A co-worker once got an incredibly hideous brown, orange and yellow crocheted sofa pillow cover with a doll's face crocheted into the middle of it. It was truly awful, but hugely entertaining for the office for years :D Now that's a gift that keeps on giving.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Buy a king size bag of M&Ms and give one piece to each person on your list. It's the thought that counts right ?

That's funny that you say that, because there is always a jar full of peanut M&M's available for munching on at my house!