kingbunky

who wants to jump a 747?

think of the scale though, that door is about 15 feet square. using that measurement and an eyeball guess, you're about 20 - 25 feet from the tail, and the floor of the aircraft looks to be about 5 feet or so lower than the tail. i think you'd have to be wearing a wingsuit and really trying to hit the tail.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I would have mounted that mirror in a fairing on the topside just behind the bulge.

Complete with a sliding door.

It may seem like an obvious place, but my guess is there is a bit of a down draft there like the down draft coming off the trailing edge of a wing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Did anyone else notice the cost of that jumpdoor? $500 million.:o:o That's a pretty pricey mod. I don't think even Perris or Eloy could swing that.:P

I think you could go out low and stay low under the tail. Maybe use one of those space shuttle poles and a big ring on your rig to insure a clean launch. The wind blast would give you about a 3-5 G acceleration on exit, depending on your body position. Ooomph. :)

Yeah, it's for a "telescope" . . . that makes sense.

Who the hell are they trying to fool?

Agreed.
This is actually related to that asinine rule barring passengers from using the restroom during the last hour of a flight.
The fresh air provided by an in-flight door will be indispensable.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Did anyone else notice the cost of that jumpdoor? $500 million.:o:o That's a pretty pricey mod. I don't think even Perris or Eloy could swing that.:P

I think you could go out low and stay low under the tail. Maybe use one of those space shuttle poles and a big ring on your rig to insure a clean launch. The wind blast would give you about a 3-5 G acceleration on exit, depending on your body position. Ooomph. :)

Freefly Friendly rigs only;):ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Trust me on this.. the air is not so friendly when you are travelling at 300MPH+

>Trust me on this.. the air is not so friendly when you are travelling at 300MPH+

A TAS of 300mph at 45,000 feet feels like only 135mph at sea level, so it's not too bad. Would depend on altitude of course.

In the article they talked about testing at 225 kts, which typically they mean indicated airspeed, true airspeed being higher, of course, the higher you go. Since basic belly position we fall about 100 kts indicated, then exit speed would be 2.25 times terminal velocity, hence my G load estimate.

They spoke of flying at 45,000 feet at M.085. I'm guessing that's still only about 225 kts indicated airspeed on a standard day, maybe a touch less. I don't think the 747 likes to fly slower than that without a notch of flaps.