BillyVance

Two-letter word

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP'.

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP. To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more. When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.

When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.

When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so........it is time to shut UP!

Oh . . . one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?

U-P

:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

From working with many people who speak English
as a second language, I have been told that "get"
is a very convenient word.

You can "get" to work. Go get lunch. Get off work. Get to bed.
If you get sick and can't get "up" in the morning, you can
get an appointment.

It saves having to learn a great number of verbs.

What's up with that? Normally, things GO up and COME down. But, the sun and the moon COME up and GO down. That's fucked up!:)

I bet if the sun landed in your backyard you'd say it came down.;) It's all about where.:)

Actually, the sun goes down between my back steps and
the paved road.
;)

I use a more handy two-letter word frequently. It's all due to having 6 kids and 2 very er, 'straight-laced' adults living in our house with us.

It's 'sh'. B|

We say 'Sh! Hush up I can't hear the message!' and 'sh...he, I mean, needs to get over here and finish the dishes.'

-but the most COMMON use for the word 'sh' around our home is 'Sh....gyah, dang it I burned my hand on that piece of sh...uh, oven again!!!' >:(>:(>:(

'Sh' is handy. It's almost as handy as 'Fu'...:P

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Wrong. :P

Lock up means you don't want anyone getting in.

Lock down means you don't want anyone getting out.

Hence the term "Lock Down" when referring to prisons... ;)

Then again, schools have used that term whenever there was a prisoner escape or violent crime in progress nearby...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You just reminded me of "RFC1178 - Choosing a name for your computer":

Here are some guidelines on what NOT to do.

Don't overload other terms already in common use.

Using a word that has strong semantic implications in the
current context will cause confusion. This is especially true
in conversation where punctuation is not obvious and grammar is
often incorrect.

For example, a distributed database had been built on top of
several computers. Each one had a different name. One machine
was named "up", as it was the only one that accepted updates.
Conversations would sound like this: "Is up down?" and "Boot
the machine up." followed by "Which machine?"

Ref: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1178.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.