flr169

icon vs racer

I'm looking at 2 sets of used gear...

2004 icon with a 150 main and reserve and cypress and approx. 100 jumps

2003 racer with a 150 sabre 2 and a 160 reserve with a cypress and about 15 jumps on it,,,,

the racer i can try on before i buy because its close by but the icon is too far away....but a refund is good for 10 days.....

the price is within 400 bucks between the 2 with the racer being the cheaper one...

so now what do u all think.....

any and all imput would be appreciated.....

thanks

============
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Some components of these rigs are very different between Racers and Icons. You may want to ask your local knowledgeable rigger for education about them. Some people have preferences about how their RSL works (if they use one), how they close their main container, how main riser protection works, whether the pilot chute is hidden or exposed, whether reserve pin is hidden or exposed, single or double reserve pin, etc.. Your local rigger may have similar values and concerns as you; that is why talking to him/her could help.

Trying the rigs on is educational also because some people find Racers super comfortable.

The only advice I can give, being so far away, is you will have your harness/container for a long time and it is not cheap, so exerting extra effort now to make sure you will be happy with what you get will pay off in the long run.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

the racer i can try on before i buy because its close by but the icon is too far away....but a refund is good for 10 days.....

I've highlighted the key phrase in your decision. Since the Racer is readily available, try the Racer first. If you like it, buy it. Purchasing the Icon, sight unseen, is a gamble. See if someone else on your DZ has an Icon you can put on and see how it fits for comparison. Otherwise, only go for the Icon if the Racer turns out to be unacceptable for some reason.

You need to consider what type of Racer; it comes in different configurations. Does it have Velcro riser covers, or tuck tabs. Don't be afraid of Velcro, but be aware that it does require periodic maintenance/ replacement. A well configured and maintained Racer is one of the most under-rated rigs when it comes to freefall security. They are also known as perhaps the most comfortable harness/container out there. And without any doubt, no US manufactured or marketed container has the level of reserve pin security that the Racer has. Period.

I know at least one highly respected freeflier who considered it a major concession to his team to give up his Racers in order to receive sponsorship from a more expensive, more popular model.

Rigging can be a concern with a Racer. Many riggers aren't as familiar with them as with other brands, and find them difficult to pack, and actually charge more. Those that pack them often tend to find them easier to pack, and will sometimes even charge a little less (usually to thumb their noses at the riggers who complain about them being too hard to pack! ;) Other riggers charge more, fairly, to pack the Racer because they replace the Velcro. This is money well spent IMO.

The Icon is fast becoming a popular choice, for good reason. It is a nice looking, secure container available at a relatively inexpensive price. Although it has not been around nearly as long as the Racers, there are many in use, and I haven't heard any major complaints about them.

For Great Deals on Gear

the racer does have tuck tabs.....

i'm still waiting to hear witch model it is....

thanks for all the responses so far

==================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I have a Racer, used to have a Vector 2 and Talon 2 but I love the fit of the racer. and as someone else already pointed out reserve pins security is the best, and repack too some riggers don't like them..
all in all I'd go for Racer over the Icon if I were you...
Icon is copy of French Atom rig..

I have a Racer, used to have a Vector 2 and Talon 2 but I love the fit of the racer. and as someone else already pointed out reserve pins security is the best, and repack too some riggers don't like them..
all in all I'd go for Racer over the Icon if I were you...
Icon is copy of French Atom rig..

whatever you get the harness needs to be the right size for you. just because it is a racer does not mean it will be comfortable. from the s/n and a couple of your measurements the manufacturer should be able to tell you if it will fit.

rm

I love the fit of the racer. and as someone else already pointed out reserve pins security is the best, and repack too some riggers don't like them..

One of my friend has told me that he has the talon on the list of most hated for reserve repacking. Its just about taste.

To halve the hassle of repacking Racers, hit up Jump Shack for a free "ghost loop." The greatest advantage to ghost loops is that they are Cypres-compatible. I have used "ghost loops" for the last decade and wonder how I closed Pop-Tops with the old tools.

If the Racer has tuck tabs, it the newer, more secure model.

Don't forget about the Cypres situation. The age of the unit, and it's need for batt. and maintnence will effect it's value. A usable Cypres can have a value from $1000 to $100 depending on these factors.

If the Cypress' were equal, I'd say the Racer for sure. I put 1000's of jumps on a Racer, so I know they build them well. Combine that with the PD canopies (main and reserve) and you've got a great rig.

the racer does have tuck tabs.....

i'm still waiting to hear witch model it is....

thanks for all the responses so far

==================

You said it was made in 2003, therefore it is a 2k3, the latest model. They are fine rigs, have tucktabs, and close like a "normal" rig.

You said it was made in 2003, therefore it is a 2k3, the latest model.

Aren't they still making the NOS with tuck tab riser covers? Either way though I would say as long as it fits correctly go with the racer. ;)
Hope this helps and good luck...
Miami

You said it was made in 2003, therefore it is a 2k3, the latest model.

Aren't they still making the NOS with tuck tab riser covers? Either way though I would say as long as it fits correctly go with the racer. ;)
Hope this helps and good luck...

I am pretty sure they will make what you want, tuck tabs on shoulders, velcro on shoulders, 2k3, (the older) NOS... ie any combination you want.

rm

I don't know much about the racer (or what options this one has), and I've never jumped one, but one thing to consider is that even the base modle of the icon has:

-Link stop panels (small panels inside th emain container that help prevent line twists, and prevent the lines from ever catching on the corners on the reserve tray)
-All Stainless steel (including the miniforce)
-Stainless steel Benchmade hook knife (if the guy selling it hasn't lost it)
-Articulation at the hip junction (also stainless)
-Quilted back pad
-Pillow cutaway handle with a conduit insert (very beefy, sold as option with other rigs)
-Velcroless toggles (stainless steel locking pin)
-Cypres ready
-Aerodyne Embroideries
-Hard housings sewn in risers (steel tubing)

Other than that it is just what you like better, what you think looks cooler, and what you think will have better resale in the future, and all those questions can only be answered by you.

You'll have tons of fun with either.

A-
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

I have an Icon with a 168 Pilot and 160 Smart.
The Icon is a 15.
I also have a Racer with a 120 main and 145 reserve.
Both rigs are very comfortable. I am a rigger and
both rigs are easy to pack--mains and reserves.
I would try both to see which harness fits you better.
All things equal, I would choose the Icon because
it is newer and will likely have better resale value.

Later,

Will Caldwell