airtwardo

When "I" grow up...

Great story Jim!!

I can only hope I have similar experiences with my future kid! :)
Edited to add: If you haven't already watched the movie "Rudy" with him, do so! It's a great true story of a little runt that wanted so badly to play with the big dogs at Notre Dame. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Guest 1010
I love football too. :)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Guest 1010
Jim,

I know you've been told this before, but you really should write a compilation of your stories! You have so many stories to tell and write them so eloquently. I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat as I read the piece above. There's lots of people I'll never read about unless I read every last thread in the History Forum and that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

I know I'd buy a book intertwining the history of skydiving with your stories bringing the events to life. A working title could be "Scary Stories from the Old Days."

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Seriously, great story. Those are the moments that make parenting worth it. My 14 year old daughter was telling me about a presentation she gave to her class, and had used me as her basis. She casually told me that I'm her "hero". I about lost it. I am getting more and more glimpses of the woman she'll be every day, and I'm amazed!B|

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I missed this when posted 5 years ago,
Very touching story:)Thanks for bringing it up again Gypsy:)

So Jim how are the kids now?, your little NFLer would be 18 now?

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Some times I do good, but thanks has to go to the OP, for leaving the link on another thread!

He's in flight school, told his mom he wants to be her right seater some day. B|

Older son is about 6 months away from his A&P rating. Went through some tough times but pulled it together. Gave mom a great Christmas gift this year, 'report card' with nuthin' but A's ! B|

Daughter made us grandparents last year, she's an amazing mother...she & I see the world through similar eyes & I'm her biggest fan! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

He's in flight school, told his mom he wants to be her right seater some day. B|

Older son is about 6 months away from his A&P rating. Went through some tough times but pulled it together. Gave mom a great Christmas gift this year, 'report card' with nuthin' but A's ! B|

Daughter made us grandparents last year, she's an amazing mother...she & I see the world through similar eyes & I'm her biggest fan! B|

Nice work sir, and kudos to Mrs Twardo, it's not a one man game raising 'em:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

50 ??? Shouldn't there be a 1 in front of that ?

Nice story. :)

Or a zero behind it:P

And agreed. It couldn't have been easy to watch him go out on that field.

But you let him chase his dream:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As some here know, seven years ago we adopted three kids from Russia. I can say without reservation that it's the only true thing I've ever done or WILL ever do in my life that's really mattered.

Not true buddy. Not even for a second. Every time you jump with someone with lower jumps or teach someone something, it matters.

When you teach someone something that saves their life later on down the road, it DEFINATELY MATTERS.

When you help a friend out, it matters.

When you send a stranger a smile, it matters.

When you tell stories of the good ol' days, and keep the history of where we come from and how far we've come alive, it matters.

When you travel the world and share the pictures, giving someone who won't ever have the chance to do it a glimpse into the beauty this world has to offer, it matters.

When you jump into a stadium and a kid you didn't even know was watching lights up with excitement, it matters.

When you speak a kind word to someone, especially when they're down for some reason or another, it matters.

When you gloat about the beauty of your children and others light up from the story alone, it matters.

When you make friends with someone, IT MATTERS.

AND DON'T EVER LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT!B|:):):)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Damn Jim,

I got a little something in my eye about halfway through that one.

I'm glad this story was bumped

I was hoping you would say your kid wanted to grow up and be another Brett Favre. NOT.>:(>:(>:(

You are such a good man.

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

He's in flight school, told his mom he wants to be her right seater some day.

Older son is about 6 months away from his A&P rating. Went through some tough times but pulled it together. Gave mom a great Christmas gift this year, 'report card' with nuthin' but A's !

Daughter made us grandparents last year, she's an amazing mother...she & I see the world through similar eyes & I'm her biggest fan!

Just when they think you're the stupidest person in the world you start to get smart again; and just when you think that no, they never will grow up, they do, and turn back into human beings.

I'm glad to see this.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh, thank God! I read from the beginning wihout noticing the date and I was thinking, hold on - this guy airtwardo, who everyone jokes is older than time, is only a few years older than me! Still the case, but at least I'm further behind than I thought. :D

Really nice story, by the way. First time I'd seen it too.:)