shah269

Am I strange for not wanting kids?

Not strange at all.

I originally did not want kids either. No way in hell I wanted to deal with a Rug Rat.

Then a Kid showed up and I could not imagine life with her. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Damn straight dude. And if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. Got two beautiful little girls. Of course, they'll be two giant migraines later in life to deal with.... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not strange at all.

I originally did not want kids either. No way in hell I wanted to deal with a Rug Rat.

Then a Kid showed up and I could not imagine life with her. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Now my "Kid" turns 18 tomorrow. I would turn the clock back and do it all again in a heartbeat if I could.

B|B|

Funny how kids kinda make US grow up huh?! ;)

Not so sure about the growing up part. ;p

I mentioned this to my daughter (turn back the clok and do it again) and she said "Un-Huh!! No way I am raising you again!":P:D:D

Cheesy Ass Video complete with sappy music that shows her raising me over the past 18 years here.

that's a great post, N

if you want kids, that's great
if you don't want kids, that's great

why would a kid ever want to be in a family where they aren't wanted?

I really don't understand people who bring kids into a relationship to keep it from falling apart.. I mean.. Kids add *more* stress on a relationship.. If it's not going well to begin with it just strikes me as a really bad idea - especially for the child who's quite likely to grow up in a broken home.. [:/]

But the fact that things changed for me when I felt really happy.. Well, it opened my mind to the possibility that in the right environment I could be very happy with children. It came as a surprise, but not a bad one :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Not strange at all.

Now my "Kid" turns 18 tomorrow. I would turn the clock back and do it all again in a heartbeat if I could.

B|B|

I know I never realised how much personal pride I could experience...sure he cost me soem days jumping, I actually simi retired from jumping full time, just to raise him, (because my wife makes more in 4 hours than I made in a week skydiving) so why hire a sitter, or day care, I stayed at home with him!

All I can say is, keep your mind open...But I understand that "Too Selfish" feeling, Maybe it helped that we didn;t have a child till I was 39! But, now I find myself wishing I'd started 10 years earlier.....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1820085#1820085

I hear ya brother! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

that's a great post, N

if you want kids, that's great
if you don't want kids, that's great

I really don't understand people who bring kids into a relationship to keep it from falling apart.. I mean.. Kids add *more* stress on a relationship.. If it's not going well to begin with it just strikes me as a really bad idea - especially for the child who's quite likely to grow up in a broken home.. [:/]

But the fact that things changed for me when I felt really happy.. Well, it opened my mind to the possibility that in the right environment I could be very happy with children. It came as a surprise, but not a bad one :)

I agree with that completely... My cousin (shes about 6 months younger than me) has baby #2 on the way.... different daddy than the first one.... barely takes care of the first one, but refuses to even consider adoption (or birth control for that matter)...

Watched "The Pregnancy Pact" on lifetime last night about the high school girls in Mass. that made a pact to get pregnant by the end of sophomore year...

Amazing to me that so many girls (and boys) in my generation dont see a baby as a huge responsibility but rather a plaything:S

Not strange at all.

B|B|

Not so sure about the growing up part. ;p

I mentioned this to my daughter (turn back the clok and do it again) and she said "Un-Huh!! No way I am raising you again!":P:D:D

Cheesy Ass Video complete with sappy music that shows her raising me over the past 18 years here.

Great clip, and my hats off to you!

amstalder
I agree with you 100% life is a precious thing. I've seen god knows how many people have kids "just because" or even worse "to save the family" or the ever popular "because he wanted them"
Look this is life. It's not a toy it's not money, it's life!
And well I'm not 100% and only when I am will I even consider it. But right now....no. I'm sorry no.
I'm not ready to buy the mini van and to sell my bike or to give up doing what makes me happy.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

amstalder
I agree with you 100% life is a precious thing. I've seen god knows how many people have kids "just because" or even worse "to save the family" or the ever popular "because he wanted them"
Look this is life. It's not a toy it's not money, it's life!
And well I'm not 100% and only when I am will I even consider it. But right now....no. I'm sorry no.
I'm not ready to buy the mini van and to sell my bike or to give up doing what makes me happy.

WHY would you give up the bike? I used it as an excuse to build more...[:/]

Three Harley Knuckleheads, and we all have dirtbikes too!:ph34r:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/424747010.jpg

Look mate you are the exception.
I can't tell you the number of guys who "had" to loose their bikes because of the up coming kid. Just check craigs list!
Hell I depend on those guys for my spare parts for my bike! And to pick up that slightly used 848 that I've been dreaming of
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I really don't understand people who bring kids into a relationship to keep it from falling apart..

another one I don't get is divorced individuals with kids that 'vet' their dates out with their little ones under the guise of "I won't date someone my little (name) doesn't like" - that attitude is for the adult's benefit, not the child's - backwards

It's the ultimate in cruelty to bring someone into a child's life and then they leave. (partners get cycled until we find the right one).

I'd think the better solution is date and absolutely no contact with the child until that other person looks to be in it for a longer haul than just the initial trial few dates.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So are you still playing for ZZ-Top?

Sorry I couldnt help it.:D

I hear that at least 3 times a week, unless I am at a dropzone, then they say "Bill Booth"!:ph34r:

I was kinda leanin on that one too. Your kid sure seems to be right at home on that bike. Cool pics.B|
Muff #5048

I can't tell you the number of guys who "had" to loose their bikes because of the up coming kid. Just check craigs list!
Hell I depend on those guys for my spare parts for my bike! And to pick up that slightly used 848 that I've been dreaming of

I can't imagin life without motorcycles...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/thinker.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/wilmountains.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/apes/ridenknuck014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/field/100_0323.jpg

I can't imagin life without motorcycles...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/thinker.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/wilmountains.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/apes/ridenknuck014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/field/100_0323.jpg

I didn't lose my bike...just had to quit B.A.S.E. jumpin'...:S:ph34r:;)

but to be fair, 'mom' quit flying aerobatics too.

I went out to lunch with a friend and he's rather honest and straight forward and he put it bluntly.
I'm 33, I'm an engineer, if i wish to find myself in a long term relationship I may have to sacrifice.
I looked at him and said, "Over my dead body will I ever retire that helmet or give up what makes me happy just to please some skirt."
I know that may sound rude to some but, that's like a guy telling a girl to give up chocolate or worse coffee since those two items can lead to death or sickness and thus leave the child motherless.
Thanks but no thanks. But he's right. In my age bracket of 33....women (NOT ALL WOMEN) seem to be either looking for a baby daddy or a guy to have a baby with. And when I say, "No I'm not interested in having children." that's like me saying I have AIDS.
But it's good to look around and see that some of the ladies, at least in this forum, are not hostage to biology.
So I have two choices, go for younger girls.....or for women over 40 and hopefully skip this conversation all together.

Just maybe, you'll run into someone that rates higher in your opinion than just 'some skirt'...and your self absorbed lifestyle will perhaps take a different tact.

You're happy the way you are, good for you.

Just keep in mind that things change in life and sometimes, something you were afraid of turns out to be something ya can't live without...I hear certain 'sports' are that way.

The result has been some very self confident, independent young adults that are a real joy to hang out with.

Your kids are some of the only teenagers I actually enjoy spending time with. B|

I'd never make a blanket "I don't like all kids" statement.

I don't like a lot of kids.

But I also don't like a lot of people. Of course, there seems to be a surprisingly high correlation between disliking a particular child and disliking their parent(s). :o Go figure.;)

But for the most part, I like kids. I never had a really strong desire to have kids, nor a really strong desire not to have them ... circumstances being what they are, I find myself pushing 40 and childless ... and I'm cool with that. Had things gone in another direction I'd probably be cool with that, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I thought you were married?... so why are you dating? Or did I imagine you being married?

We separated a few months ago and will be divorced after our taxes are filed.
Long story short.....it's complicated and well some times you can do every thing right and still not make it.

As for the skirt comment, well look would you give up what you love? Why should she? I know some times I'm insane but what happened to mutual respect and understanding.
No I will never retire my helmet.
No I will never stop skydiving or rock climbing
and
No, at this moment I'm not 100% on kids and so NO i don't want them.

And please stop giving me the evil eye or accusing me of being some sort of monster.
(this last part is aimed at any one here but rather at society)