shah269

Am I strange for not wanting kids?

I almost posted this same thread last night....

Had a friend tell me I was crazy and that no matter what I tell him he thinks I want/need kids one day, that nothing in life will ever be as fulfilling as having kids and that I will never be happy if Im 40 one day and childless. And that I shouldnt be with my boyfriend because he doesnt want any either...:S

How does your wife feel on the topic?

Your friend wants to get into your pants:P

As for having kids, I hate the little shits, can't stand them. What's more annoying is when work colleges insist on showing/bringing their kids into work.

Had a friend tell me I was crazy and that no matter what I tell him he thinks I want/need kids one day, that nothing in life will ever be as fulfilling as having kids and that I will never be happy if Im 40 one day and childless. And that I shouldnt be with my boyfriend because he doesnt want any either...:S

Your friend wants to get into your pants:P

As for having kids, I hate the little shits, can't stand them. What's more annoying is when work colleges insist on showing/bringing their kids into work.

There is a time and place in life when for most it seems right...if someome doesn't have that trigger within them they should NOT just do it. They aren't happy and the kids end up damaged.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well...I guess hell may have frozen over.
LuckyMcSwervy, thank you. I greatly appreciate it. I feel less of a selfish freak reading your words. It's good to know that I was just around those who I really didn't connect with. Thank you.
Again, skydivers, are there any better people?

You're welcome.

I think im gonna cry. Im so proud of you two right now:P:D:ph34r::ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

As for having kids, I hate the little shits, can't stand them. What's more annoying is when work colleauges insist on showing/bringing their kids into work.

I totally agree. I don't bring in my cat, you shouldn't bring in your kid. :P

I would much prefer someone to bring a cat in then a kid. At least cats are entertaining. :P

Ha, be nice. My kids will be adjusting your meds when you're in the old folks home.:P

Funny, I remember another jumper saying about the same thing, He now has 2 kids of his own. :D

Kids should be a conscious choice. I've got 2, wished I'd had more. Yes they can be a pain but the good times far outweigh the bad.

Never took them to the DZ, spanked them when they needed it, took them out of the public place (restaurant, church, etc.) when they fussed and didn't take them on a plane until they were old enough to behave.

And yes I get pissed when other parents don't seem to think that their kid acting like a brat is a problem. If I'm at the DZ or some other adult place and want to drink, swear or get naked don't get offended - take your kid elsewhere.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

......i resisted replying right away,,,, to this thread.... since i wanted to see what the responses might be like.....
:|

upon reading the above quote.... it makes me wish that Boris73's folks,,,,, felt the way boris does....[:/]>:(

sure ,,, if you don't want kids DON'T have them.!!!!...... but as for reffering to them as "little shits", and proclaiming HATRED for them.... that just shows you , to be quite like, an ignorant fool....

OF course,,,,, creating a PERSON.... is not to be taken lightly,,, it is all at once a noble, a difficult and an uncertain undertaking....
It HUGELY changes your life, and sometimes NOT for the better.....
I AM a Father...... I AM in the position to discuss the matter, AND back it up with REAL experiences....

It is a privledge and a plague..
It is a reward and a punishment..
It makes you happy beyond measure and it makes you sad to the deepest depths...
It is Lifes true paradox, and conundrum....

It takes all that would otherwise only be Yours and your S. O. ,,,,, free time , energy, patience,
savings, recreational disposable income, and emotions....

it is the double edge sword..... and in this day and age, with the world in chaos, and with uncertainty alllll around.... it is a subject, not to be taken lightly......

My children are now adults....both mid 20's, both happy healthy and well adjusted...both college educated and both quite mannerly......
I am PROUD of them....regardless of the criticism that i hear from folks and friends whom i know,,,,, who ALL seem to know ALLL about it,,, even if THEY themselves, have never been down that road...>:(
People who are without kids , can have any opinion about it that they want,,, BUT they need to stop short of expressing distain,,, to people like Me,,,, who ARE with kids.....THAT is just common courtesy...

How dare someone tell Me, that it is 'wrong', or ' socially damaging', or 'unnecessary' to have children.....
without firsthand knowledge of the subject....:S:(>:(
Screw THEM.... one and all.....

It's akin to a whuffo teaching a F J C ....ya know???

to each his own, and if i entered the "way-back machine" and sent myself back to 1980, i too might choose the 'non-parent ' route....or i might NOT.

it's a personal choice and there are many MANY people who are woefully inadequate of the character traits needed to be a Parent..... Hell some can't even take care of themselves,,, without running to Mommy or Daddy, asking for help ( usually financial) every 2 weeks..

Those types should follow their own instincts, but should also be SURE , not to apply their prejudices to the general population....belittleing couples who HAVE chosen to be parents...

Our kids were a gift to us... and came only AFTER, we established a proper base, consisiting of a Man and a Woman, whose love was/is true... who worked hard to earn and own a proper HOUSE!!!!! in a decent community, who labored long and hard at Gainfull EMPLOYMENT,,, and who set the stage to begin and grow a Family.....

That was then... however,, and
THIS is NOW>>>> and i too agree with the thought that a person can be plenty happy, plenty fulfilled, and quite content... without Kids....
The world is a mess. and anyone who would casually create life, to bring into this mess....needs to think long and hard about it....

times change, and what worked fine, in the 40s , 50s and 60s,, ( i.e. families with LOTS of kids) may not work so well, now....
common sense, abstinance, birth control can go a long way, to eliminating 'unplanned' children....
"accidents", 'mistakes' and/ or alcohol/drug induced behavior which results in new life.... is NOT the way to go..

jmy
A 3914
POPS 3935
USPA # 9452

I look at it this way, I know who I am. I'm not patient.
I haven't really had a chance to live and well I hate to say this but I'm not a good roll model.
I look at this situation and say "I Shah find my self ill suited for being a father. And thus to prevent some one from having a horrible existence due to my shortcomings.....I simply do not wish to have children."
It's an honest self assessment and I'm still amazed at how many people go off on me when I say that.
I'm being honest, truthful and upfront. Would you rather I lied to you?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

.....I simply do not wish to have children."

Nuthin' wrong with that...but ya also gotta think of family gene survival.

One reason we have children is in case we ever get lost in the wilderness or stuck on a life-raft...we can eat 'em.

One reason we have children is in case we ever get lost in the wilderness or stuck on a life-raft...we can eat 'em.

... or when you need an organ transplant ...... just sayin'

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

... or when you need an organ transplant ...... just sayin'

Good Point!...unless ya adopt that is.;)

If men were the ones to get pregnant and deliver the babies, the species would die out in 1 generation.

From overpopulation.

Guys would be pregnant all the time to show they were getting some. :P

I used to say that I was a lesbian trapped in a man's body. That didn't work either. :P

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

......i resisted replying right away,,,, to this thread.... since i wanted to see what the responses might be like.....
:|

upon reading the above quote.... it makes me wish that Boris73's folks,,,,, felt the way boris does....[:/]>:(

After having me they most likely do;)

Honest.
Am I strange for not wanting kids?
I'm strange for a lot of reasons. But am I over the top for not wanting kids?
I understand women have this biological urge to reproduce but well, I'm a guy, biology doesn't effect me much and well...I like all my toys and I'm finally getting on my feet.
Does that make me strange?

Strange ? No....Missing out on something? Yes!

I NEVER wanted children, I was adopted, and bounced from home to home, Family was the last thing I ever desired!

after 17 years of Marriage, my wife got Pregnant, (gawd, that one time we took a chance!:D We know exactly when he was concieved, we had just came home from a weekend at Perris!

It has been the best adventure of my life...Plus now, I have someone to leave all my antique motorcycles!

Right down to managing his little league baseball team, to today being his mechanic for his mountain bike Freeriding , I can;t wait to skydive with him...
An adventure I wouldn't trade for anything, and to think, I hated the idea....
Riding partner:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/mewil.jpg
Managing baseball:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/?action=view&current=baseballchamps.jpg
Freeeriding:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/field/today002-1.jpg
Riding his first Harley:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/field/ridenknuck016.jpg

Not strange at all.

I originally did not want kids either. No way in hell I wanted to deal with a Rug Rat.

Then a Kid showed up and I could not imagine life with her. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Now my "Kid" turns 18 tomorrow. I would turn the clock back and do it all again in a heartbeat if I could.

Not strange at all.

I originally did not want kids either. No way in hell I wanted to deal with a Rug Rat.

Then a Kid showed up and I could not imagine life with her. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Now my "Kid" turns 18 tomorrow. I would turn the clock back and do it all again in a heartbeat if I could.

B|B|

Funny how kids kinda make US grow up huh?! ;)

Not strange at all.

B|B|

Funny how kids kinda make US grow up huh?! ;)

I know I never realised how much personal pride I could experience...sure he cost me soem days jumping, I actually simi retired from jumping full time, just to raise him, (because my wife makes more in 4 hours than I made in a week skydiving) so why hire a sitter, or day care, I stayed at home with him!

All I can say is, keep your mind open...But I understand that "Too Selfish" feeling, Maybe it helped that we didn;t have a child till I was 39! But, now I find myself wishing I'd started 10 years earlier.....

Isn't it funny how some people go out of their way to convince you that you really do want kids?!! It's like it bothers them somehow that you're so obviously "wrong" about what you want and they so obviously know better than you!! :D:D

I'm of two minds on the subject. I never wanted kids. No reason, just didn't want them. Then one day, out of the blue, I felt totally happy in my relationship, thought it would last forever, and really wanted to bring children into our lives..

A couple of years later and single again (well, seeing someone, but a very new relationship).. No desire whatsoever to have kids. So I guess a special set of circumstances can always change things, but fundamentally I don't think I do want kids..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

......i resisted replying right away,,,, to this thread.... since i wanted to see what the responses might be like....jmy

You can't let those comments effect you - this place is full of them

a LOT of people with no kids are young, but either way, those are super narcissistic responses when they say they can do "anything" they want and parents should leave with their kids if they don't like it. who is really advocating restricting who's freedoms here? Is swearing and being an asshole such a great adder to someone's life?

in essence, it's a desire to be complete assholes in general - I suspect they want that 'freedom' regardless of who it bothers - kids or adults and even in full adult company will still be out of hand and others will not appreciate it

courtesy is minor, it's a simple consideration of how you act relative to whoever is around you - otherwise is just pure selfishness

the other thing I see is comparisons of kids to pets - that absolutely blows my mind that people even go there too - then again, I see how a lot of yuppie parents 'raise' their kids, so maybe not so surprising

I hate 'kids' threads on dizzy - it's like seeing someone you thought you knew spewing racist crap one day out of the blue - but instead of just one person, it would be like half your friends

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that's a great post, N

if you want kids, that's great
if you don't want kids, that's great

why would a kid ever want to be in a family where they aren't wanted?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants