CSpenceFLY

Toyota recall for gas peddle getting stuck on the floor mats

I wouldn't have sued! It was my own fault. Do all newer cars not have that hook thing that on the driver's side floor mat?

I would be willing to bet that they do... my current car has two hooks and I believe my previous car had at least one hook...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

There is a lot more to the Toyota story. It has gotten a wide amount of publicity. The floor mats are not the problem. It is something else (maybe in the electronics that control the accelerator) and Toyota is using the floor mats to divert attention.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

wow.
Toyota is involved in 911???
Typically there are no electronics in throttle cables.

Per NHTSA:
“This remedy does not correct the underlying defect in the vehicles involving the potential for entrapment of the accelerator by floor mats, which is related to accelerator and floor pan design,” the NHTSA statement says.

In the end, runaway acceleration can happen for lots of reasons. There is no substitute for knowing how to stop the car in an emergency, as we’ve detailed in a series of recent blog entries and tests.

in other words, the pedals are too long.
:S

Learn how to control your car people!
:|

I'm not a conspiracy nut, this story has received wide coverage. I guess it still might bea design flaw, but I'm betting on a chip malfunction or poor algorhythm from what I have read.

In modern cars the accelerator is not a mechnical linkage to the gas, it is just signaling a chip.

I agree that people should know how to stop their cars.

Everything I've read mentions floor pan to pedal interference as the main culprit.
On cars with cables.

Whatever the case, I'll never understand holding a manufacturer responsible to ensure they design a product to cover every possible scenario of consumer irresponsibility.
:S

I'm not a conspiracy nut, this story has received wide coverage. I guess it still might bea design flaw, but I'm betting on a chip malfunction or poor algorhythm from what I have read.

In modern cars the accelerator is not a mechnical linkage to the gas, it is just signaling a chip.
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but... I believe many modern autos have eletronic throttle systems in lieu of simple cable connected to the gas pedal...

I don't know the specifics of the accident in question... so anything i would say would be purely speculation... but I highly doubt there is any sort of conspiracy...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I wouldn't have sued! It was my own fault. Do all newer cars not have that hook thing that on the driver's side floor mat?

I would be willing to bet that they do... my current car has two hooks and I believe my previous car had at least one hook...

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a hook for the mat on the driver's side.
'Shell

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but... I believe many modern autos have eletronic throttle systems in lieu of simple cable connected to the gas pedal...

I don't know the specifics of the accident in question... so anything i would say would be purely speculation... but I highly doubt there is any sort of conspiracy...

Toyota is saying that this is purely a mechnical problem due to a design flaw in the floor mats and possibly the floor pan as well. While that is possible it is also possible that there are flaws in other parts of the system, including the electronics that control the throttle. The transportation Safety Board hasn't definitively said that the floor pan or floor mat design is the problem and they continue to do investigations.

I don't think it is a conspiracy. I do think there is a chance Toyota has not uncovered the true source or that they have but are not owning up to the true source of the problem.

If you're in a situation with a stuck accelerator, you can do the following:

-- Hit the brakes, hard. Do not let up. There is not a modern engine/vehicle design that can overpower the brakes if you respond quickly, and deliberately. If you've got a modified engine then this rule of thumb may not apply, so you can do this:

-- Turn the car off, or

-- Take the car out of gear
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If you're in a situation with a stuck accelerator, you can do the following:

-- Hit the brakes, hard. Do not let up. There is not a modern engine/vehicle design that can overpower the brakes if you respond quickly, and deliberately. If you've got a modified engine then this rule of thumb may not apply, so you can do this:

-- Turn the car off, or

-- Take the car out of gear

PUT IT IN NEUTRAL.
apply brakes.
problem solved.
:)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

OK. Just saw this one the news, with 911 call.
Your car is speeding along, you can't stop it, soooo.
You call 911 & at the same time yell to the kids..

Pray! Pray! WHAT THE ?????????

ALOT of ways to stop it have been posted except one.

Put your foot next to the pedal & do what you need to pull the damn thing up!
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

There is a lot more to the Toyota story. It has gotten a wide amount of publicity. The floor mats are not the problem. It is something else (maybe in the electronics that control the accelerator) and Toyota is using the floor mats to divert attention.

Your wrong, this is nothing more than a floor mat size / shape / retension issue

The APM is not an issue ...

Your wrong, this is nothing more than a floor mat size / shape / retension issue

Toyota is now recalling to replace the gas pedals. Word is that it's 1/2" too long. This's not an isolated issue... there've been many recent Toyota design flaws. For instance, the Tundra's frame is rotting away from the shock/strut towers and spring mounts.

Sorry to all you Toyota lovers. The simple truth is that for a lot less money, American built cars are just as good as the rest. Or, maybe I should say, just as bad??

Maybe all the cars should have a tag under the hood that says, "Built by Humans".
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yeah when I first heard this I was wondering how someone panicked and let the car just go. The biggest thing is putting it in neutral. And the apply the brakes to slow it down. Oh and then maybe the emergency brake can hep a bit of course if you know how to use it properly with out throwing the car out of control. Downshifting the car into lower gears. SUre the engine will be going nuts but who cares it saves your life and others. Turning the car off could complicate the power steering and then it would be hard to maneuver.
You create life, life does not create you.

I kind of wonder about the panic part. There might have been some other circumstances involved not known. The guy was a CHP. I'm pretty sure these guys are used to some speed and have exceptional driving skills that are way above the level of the average driver.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Toyota is now recalling to replace the gas pedals. Word is that it's 1/2" too long. This's not an isolated issue... there've been many recent Toyota design flaws. For instance, the Tundra's frame is rotting away from the shock/strut towers and spring mounts.

Sorry to all you Toyota lovers. The simple truth is that for a lot less money, American built cars are just as good as the rest. Or, maybe I should say, just as bad??

Maybe all the cars should have a tag under the hood that says, "Built by Humans".

There are a few things they can do ... remove the floor mat or shorten the pedal ... in this case they are doin both ...pedal is to the the intended design ... other parts in this area arnt ... cant really say much more ... cant comment on other areas that they are havin probs with

My Passat has such, but I still experienced a stuck accelerator. Like the Toyota, pedal was stuck under the edge of the mat. I had just floored it getting on the expressway. I let off the gas at a bit over 70 and found myself still accelerating, even after hitting the brakes. Maybe 3 seconds after after really leaning on the brakes, the ECU shut down the engine (at 90+mph). I coasted across a couple of lanes of traffic to the shoulder, where I discovered that the pedal was still stuck under the corner of the floor mat.

I called VW of America about this, and got a big yawn for my efforts. Companies with that attitude deserve to get their asses sued.

this is a huge problem, I've got one of these recalled cars, bought with the Clunker Cash program - thank you (always have to say thank you to those that donated their tax dollars so I would not have to spend as much for a car that I would have bought anyway)

anyway back on topic, by the time I could turn off my phone and find a spot to place my donut (it can't go on the heated/ventilated leather seat) I would hit surely something

guess I could sue Lexus, Krispy Kreme, Verizon and Blackberry B|

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Wait a sec...
you say the car shut down the ecu, killing the motor...but yet they deserve to get sued?
Sounds like they did in fact design a safety system.

Or am I misunderstanding?

VW created a dangerous situation wrt the pedal and the mat. I informed of that, so that they could correct it, and they pretty much blew me off. If someone later had the same problem, then they (VW) deserve whatever they get, for ignoring a known problem. I cut 6 inches off my mat, so I no longer have said problem. I was lucky that traffic wasn't so heavy in the lanes between me and the shoulder, or a wreck could have been the result.

The Passat is DBW, so they damn well better be able to resolve conflicting inputs with the ECU. Of course, that could still happen with a jammed cable, so still a good idea in that case.

I just went and read articles about the "main" episode. If a passenger has time to call 911 before you hit anything and the driver doesn't correct the situation, the driver is figuratively asleep at the wheel.

Not to say that the design error is not a significant problem -- it is.

I've had cutaways that were less exciting than my stuck accelerator.

Still a problem. A simple mechanical problem w/ floor mats and pedals should not take this long to fix and would be unlikely to affect this many disparate models (they are not all using the same pedal assembly, but they are all using the same software):

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-fi-toyota-sales27-2010jan27,0,6537444.story?page=1

From the Article:

For safety experts, the continuing escalation of the acceleration problem is deeply worrying.

"What I smell is desperation from a company that is trying to get a situation under control that already is out of control," said Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies, an auto safety consulting firm.

He and other experts believe that while stuck pedals and floor mats may cause some incidents of unintended acceleration, the majority of the cases are linked to the computer-driven electronic throttle systems used on all Toyota and Lexus vehicles.