tso-d_chris

Vigil 2-pin released today

About time! My Cypres expires in November... :)

What is the price difference going to be? (I should imagine that nil)

Cutter replacement cost after it has fired? (I should hope that nil)

Is it in any fashion a different Vigil from the ones manufactured now, or is it virtually the same Vigil with two cutters? (i.e. give it a probationary period or not...)

I asked for a quote from JumpShack on a complete tandem rig today - the price difference between Cypres and Vigil was 200US...

Vigil equipped was lower by 200...

rm

But will last 8 more years - no?
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Is it in any fashion a different Vigil from the ones manufactured now, or is it virtually the same Vigil with two cutters? (i.e. give it a probationary period or not...) ***

The 2-pin version of the Vigil IS the same Vigil but with two cutters. The cutter cable has a junction where it splits off in to two. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.

The retail price shown here is correct. It's $260 for the cable only. If the Vigil saves your behind and you submit a report, you get it for free.

~Kim Griffin
Vigil USA
-Kimberly Griffin

I asked for a quote from JumpShack on a complete tandem rig today - the price difference between Cypres and Vigil was 200US...

rm

It is expected to last for 20 years!
Like the rest of the tandemrig??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

rm

It is expected to last for 20 years!
Like the rest of the tandemrig??

The amazing thing about the vigil is that if it outlasts the tandem rig, take it out, switch modes, put it in yer sport rig! A cheaper AAD, that lasts longer, is multi-functional and will cost you less to maintain.... mmmmmmm - me likeee
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The amazing thing about the vigil is that if it outlasts the tandem rig, take it out, switch modes, put it in yer sport rig! A cheaper AAD, that lasts longer, is multi-functional and will cost you less to maintain.... mmmmmmm- me likeee

You're sure about it. Read the manual/website please.
Expected life!!
No SCHEDULED mainenance. only maintenance on condition and of course battery cost!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

The amazing thing about the vigil is that if it outlasts the tandem rig, take it out, switch modes, put it in yer sport rig! A cheaper AAD, that lasts longer, is multi-functional and will cost you less to maintain.... mmmmmmm- me likeee

You're sure about it. Read the manual/website please.
Expected life!!
No SCHEDULED mainenance. only maintenance on condition and of course battery cost!!

well, I thought I was sure about it, so I checked the website;
It is cheaper than a Cypres
It should last 20 years
no scheduled maintenance
"The Vigil® main components such as cutter and electronic components are designed to have a life expectancy of 20 years from the Date Of Manufacture. It is a third millenium safety device with no imposed maintenance schedule"

wasn't I right??????? It sure seems like a better deal to me
Pete Draper,

It sure seems like a better deal to me

Not having a 120-day reserve inspection and re-pack cycle would make owning a rig cheaper, but would it be a better deal? There is something to be said for maintaining and inspecting life saving equipment.

Derek

Has anyone checked to see just what the failure rate of Cypres components are during their factory maintence check that still pass their field level checks? I was told some numbers that opened my eyes to just how strict the factory levels are and just how far working conditions can adjust them. Dust can and does get sucked into the filters, LCD's can bleed, buttons can get sticky... all these are practical situations that are addressed at the factory maintence cycle at no cost to Cypres owners.

Is there even a program in place to replace parts if a unit breaks? My Cypres LCD was shattered last year when it was checked on an airline and I had it to and back from SSK within 10 days (6 of those days were at WFFC where it was handed to them and sat till the end of the convention), is a similar program availble for Vigils?

I think its still premature to declare a 20 year life cycle when the latest revision has'nt even reached 2 years yet. Cypres initially did'nt have a lifetime but one was introduced later initially at 10 years then it was extended to 12 years and 3 months. You can estimate all you want, but until units actually get years of wear and thousands of jumps... its hard to see how they wear over the long haul.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My Cypres LCD was shattered last year when it was checked on an airline .

Eric your an idiot in my book.. checking your rig? you ever see the nasty stuff they spill in cargo bays on aircraft? we have to clean them when they come in for their mainbase visits and there's lot of NASTY stuff in there...!! oil, grease, acids who knows what else.. I for one will NEVER check my rig, I always carry it on.

Oh.. it was gear baged and all. It was either check the rig, or check a Bag containing a laptop, a digital video camera, MP3 player and about $800 worth of electronic parts. :S Honestly I think it was the TSA that screwed it.

Surprizingly damage to LCD's really is'nt uncommon from my understanding of AAD's.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I for one will NEVER check my rig, I always carry it on.

Easy to say, but I was once told to unpack both canopies. Didn't matter that I had the TSA policy with me. They said it had been superseded (not true or course). They have the advantage of time, and can allow/disallow what they want.

But thanks for the advise, I will put mine in a garbage bag within my suitcase next time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Has anyone checked to see just what the failure rate of Cypres components are during their factory maintence check that still pass their field level checks? I was told some numbers that opened my eyes to just how strict the factory levels are and just how far working conditions can adjust them. Dust can and does get sucked into the filters, LCD's can bleed, buttons can get sticky... all these are practical situations that are addressed at the factory maintence cycle at no cost to Cypres owners.

This is good information. Thanks!

Dust can and does get sucked into the filters

The filters are changed with the battery on the Vigil. They are incorporated in the half of the metal case that the batteries are epoxied into to eliminate any possibility of a leak into your reserve container. Batteries, filters, and half the case are replaced as a single unit.

As far as the LCD is concerned, the Vigil's appears to have a clear protective plastic cover over the LCD (I was just playing with our demo unit's), significantly increasing its resistance to damage versus a CYPRES (I don't have a CYPRES2 in my hands to play with today) control unit's LCD, which is unprotected and subject to be more easily damaged.

The CYPRES has earned its excellent reputation over the last twelve plus years, but I don't think any corners were cut to make Vigil a viable, competitive alternative.

For Great Deals on Gear