skittles_of_SDC

I don't like earthquakes.

I think it's a portent of the End Times. Dead people voting twice, Blagojevich, etc. Chickens a-comin' home to roost. Everyone's about to go to Hell. Time to break out the good Scotch you've been saving.

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

We aren't supposed to have them in IL. :|

You do know that one of the largest EQ ever recorded on this continent happened 200 years ago right down at the bottom of the state right???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_earthquake

The next time it goes.... it will cause MASSIVE amounts of damage and death. In 1811 there were a few very small communities and very few people.

Should make for some"interesting" times.

Yep.

People also forget where the worlds largest volcano is.

Yellowstone, right? Yeah there was a program on Discovery about a future explosion at Yellowstone. You know, armageddon, end of the world (or more specifically, the USA) stuff.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>>Should make for some"interesting" times.
Besides the unfortunate countless deaths a modern New Madrid quake would cause, I think the "interesting" thing would be how well people would overcome it.

The gun nuts, the ones most afraid of civil breakdown, would be the first ones to flip out and start shooting. Once we got rid of all them the rest of the people would generally pull together for the common good. Grouping up and pulling together is in our DNA. It doesn't seem so because in every Hollywood disaster movie we are all portrayed running down the streets in panic, but it wouldn't be much of a movie without that.

The survivors, of any disaster of that magnitude, will be the ones who know reality from movies, and work together . . .

NickD :)

The gun nuts, the ones most afraid of civil breakdown, would be the first ones to flip out and start shooting. Once we got rid of all them the rest of the people would generally pull together for the common good. Grouping up and pulling together is in our DNA. It doesn't seem so because in every Hollywood disaster movie we are all portrayed running down the streets in panic, but it wouldn't be much of a movie without that.

The survivors, of any disaster of that magnitude, will be the ones who know reality from movies, and work together . . .

NickD :)

I don't know about that. In New Orleans, after hurricane Katrina hit there was a lot of "every man for himself". Remember the photo of the cop looting Wal-mart?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have a hard time believing all the shades moving and my bed moving across the floor...
It woke me up and I thought for sure something had exploded or hit the house, but that was it...
No big dramatics needed...
lt
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)