hcsvader

Fuuuuuck!!!

I've been working an a major construction project for the last year. It was supposed to be an 18 month contract that was origionally supposed to end in Jan 2010. When I joined this project, the completion date was pretty attractive. I wouldn't have to work thru winter in alberta and was planning on going to australia to escape the cold. Over the past year the project has fallen behind schedule and was looking like it would end around the end of feb early march. Fuck... Looks like Im stuck here for the winter. (if it wasn't for the completion bonuses I would have quit by now) So I suck it up and prepair to work the winter[:/]

Just found out today that the project suffered a major structural failure. They are saying this is going to add another year to this project. I just want this project to end so I can collect my completion bonus and be a dz bum for a year!>:(
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Much like it is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground, let me assure you it is much better to have a gig wishing you could be a dz bum, than it is to be marginally employed wondering if you'll make the mortgage payment.

Suck it up cup cake.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ya ya ya I know. Its hard to complain when presented with another six figure year... but I dont want to fucking work!!!!
I usually (used to) work for a few months and take a few months off. the past year I have been working 10 days on 4 days off... I was going to do this for 12 months then take 12 months off... now its turning into 24 months of straight work.

I know for most people this seems like a normal lifestyle, always working, but I have made it a point to live within my means, living without debt so that I can have months on end where I dont have to worry about working. but at the same time I have a good work ethic and find it very hard to quit a job that is so awesome.

For the amount of money I make I live a pretty modest lifestyle. Most of the guys I work with have very nice houses and $80,000 trucks. I have a $5000 truck (a real upgrade from the beaters Ive had recently) and live in an old shitty house. But I live this way so that I have some freedom in life. I have the freedom of not worrying about whether I have a paycheck coming in every week. freedom of knowing I don't have to do this type of work to make ends meet. freedom of knowing that I can do whatever I want to in this life. Unfourtunatly I have these golden handcuffs, and I have the key, but the gold is just way too shiney sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to resign from this position in the next few months and that really sucks. I thought this was an amazing company to work for... but it seems more apparent that they are going to go under, and as a result of my being associated with them, it may be a detriment to my career...

Its kind of hard to say I was employed with company X that had a $100,000,000 fuckup on project X.
Even when the welders told the engineers that thier processes would fail... and we were told to follow procedure or go work somewhere else. So we just did what we were told and took our paychecks.

With all the other bullshit Ive been dealing with lately, I really didn't need this one dropped on me today.
I'm thinking it might be time to get on a plane and go somewhere warm and just live the dream for a year or two then come back and pick up the pieces
Have you seen my pants?

I present it to you this way.

I just spent a year working really hard and making sacrifices so I could take a year off work and skydive in australia. Now I have the option of working for another year and recieving a $20,000 bonus at the end of the project. (I predict another major failure requiring more work)

But spending a year skydiving in australia has been a goal of mine for the past 4 years, I got fucked out of it in 2008 because of the recession (lost it all in the stock market) and now Im in a position to live my dreams or be a slave to money for another year...

Fuck all of you who tell me to go back to work!
Have you seen my pants?

nope sorry, tried real hard but cant find one skerrick of sympathy or empathy for you. :|
And I'm the guy that just took the whole of Last year off work to travel:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You don't have any problems, you only have choices to make,
I wish it were, that everyone had it as hard as you.:|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

it is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

and i think it better to be living your dreams wishing you were at work, than it is to be at work wishing you were living your dreams.:P

Have you seen my pants?

Yup, your right. my only problem is that I have to many options.

Had this project ended this month like it was supposed to I would be on a plane and drinking beers with you.

like I say, It's a rough life livin the dream.
Have you seen my pants?

As well there is the huge disapointment of having to walk away from this project. This is supposed to be one of the biggest pieces of mobile equipment ever built in the world. It's turning out to be a massive failure:(

This was to be a major stepping stone in my career, but I think I'm going to have to walk away from it to save my pride.

Have you seen my pants?

nope sorry, tried real hard but cant find one skerrick of sympathy or empathy for you. :|
And I'm the guy that just took the whole of Last year off work to travel:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You don't have any problems, you only have choices to make,
I wish it were, that everyone had it as hard as you.:|

Yeap, my hearts' bleedin' for 'im, so it is.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I present it to you this way.

I just spent a year working really hard and making sacrifices so I could take a year off work and skydive in australia. Now I have the option of working for another year and recieving a $20,000 bonus at the end of the project. (I predict another major failure requiring more work)

But spending a year skydiving in australia has been a goal of mine for the past 4 years, I got fucked out of it in 2008 because of the recession (lost it all in the stock market) and now Im in a position to live my dreams or be a slave to money for another year...

Fuck all of you who tell me to go back to work!

Do whatever the fuck you want to do but STOP WHINNG ABOUT IT. Read quades comment and decide what you want to do. And stop crying about it. You came to the wrong place for a warm fuzzy belly rub.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

>I just spent a year working really hard and making sacrifices so I
>could take a year off work and skydive in australia. Now I have the option
>of working for another year and recieving a $20,000 bonus at the end of
>the project.

And you have the option of quitting and skydiving in australia. Work and be glad you have a job, or quit and skydive if that's what you want to do. Having the option of continued employment is really not a hardship (and I think there are a lot of people out there who would be really torqued at someone who complained that they'd have to work another year to get an extra $20K bonus.)

Go live the dream. Start today. Buy the good can opener. Take care of yourself and your gear. Eat, sleep, fuck, and skydive. Cheers!

yup
I have a tattoo across my chest. "livin the dream"
The dream isn't working in a coal mine...
Have you seen my pants?

Its kind of hard to say I was employed with company X that had a $100,000,000 fuckup on project X.
Even when the welders told the engineers that thier processes would fail... and we were told to follow procedure or go work somewhere else. So we just did what we were told and took our paychecks.

The next company won't hold that against you unless you were in on the design and planning. If you were just a "grunt" told to "just do it" the overall success of the project really doesn't effect you either way. :)
As you think there will be more redesigns and delays, decide yourself if the end bonus is worth it to ya, particularly if it's a static amount and not based on time.

Jobs are scarce in most fields, if you plan on taking time off to skydive, have enough saved that when you get back you can survive a year without finding work. This also gives you enough cushion should a big expense pop up or you have to take classes to change fields.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Jobs are scarce in most fields, if you plan on taking time off to skydive, have enough saved that when you get back you can survive a year without finding work. This also gives you enough cushion should a big expense pop up or you have to take classes to change fields.

Of if heaven forbid you bust yourself whilst skydiving
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Of if heaven forbid you bust yourself whilst skydiving

Great point. :)
Keep your health insurance or get a separate policy.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.