fluidynamic

Has anyone ever jumped out of...

A C-182 or 172 or anything really that has the stock door (opens like a car door), not the door that swings up? Is it possible to squeeze out?

Yes, but it's NOT reccomended.potential snag hazzards and the wind really pushed on the door. But you can do it.

the doors are easy enough to take off, and you can build and tape a cardboord deflector on the leading edge of the door frame.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have quite a few times and I'm a fairly big guy, the pilot needs to slip it to help get the door open wide enough not to snag anything on exit...and YOU gotta be willing to pay for the damage you do when ya fuck it up! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Taking the door off, whether unscrewing the hinges or pulling the hinge pins, can chip up a nice paint job, so use care.

I've jumped from a plane with a regular door, very cautiously. It's very easy to snag your reserve handle, etc. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. ;)

A C-182 or 172 or anything really that has the stock door (opens like a car door), not the door that swings up? Is it possible to squeeze out?

yes, but we left the door in the hangar before takeoff :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've done about 30 jumps without in-flight doors. And more than a few of those at night freeto bandito style. But "squeezing out" isn't the way I'd describe it.

The inboard side of the door is ripe with snag points like the door handle, armrest, and the window lock/lever. Not to mention a boatload of screws and grommets that are never all properly seated. So you really don't want to scrape along the door as you leave. How far back the right seat goes depends on where the camlocks are installed on the seat rails. If it's setup so the seat doesn't travel all the way back it makes getting turned to the right hard when wearing a rig. In that case sometimes it easier to sit in the back seat initially.

With the right seat in the full forward position there can be a lot of room between the back of the seat and the door post. Also from that position you have more leverage when pushing open the door. Just watch out for any snag points on the seat itself. And don't put your right hand in that plastic hanging strap thing passengers use to get in and out of the back. Get your hand stuck in there and you'll look real funny twisting in the wind. Also stow the seat belts away very securely, one so you don't tow yourself, and two so you don't leave the pilot with a door he can't close because the seat belt is out the door.

The pilot can also make the process easier by slowing down and throttling back and if he's good yawing the plane to the right as you open the door. Also don't take for granted that a pilot is a pilot. One that's never dropped a jumper before will have to be briefed on how you want jump run flown, what airspeed you want, and where you'll be under canopy so they don't mow you down during their decent. (Especially important at night on lower jumps over airports).

Also make sure they know they'll probably have to lean over and secure the door after you leave. It'll close but usually not latch. Also know, if it's a non-jump pilot who's not wearing a bail out rig if you somehow wrapped yourself around the tail you just killed them too.

Oh, and if you have only sixty jumps I'd put this off for a while . . . ;)

NickD :)

>>That's rad! Assuming the door is still intact... how exactly are you exiting to avoid snags? butt out the door first? head first? feet first? rig against the door?
Okay, now you're scaring me. You get out the same way you'd exit the plane when it's sitting on the ground . . .

Okay, now you're scaring me. You get out the same way you'd exit the plane when it's sitting on the ground . . .

Stumblin' drunk down a jetway with a pocket full of Euros and no place ta change 'em for the cab ride?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I did out of C-182 with only the front passenger seat out and three other jumpers for a demo, because the pilots regular 206 was down. I partially dislocated my should because it was crowded and I was in an acward position. after falling out and flared my arms out I felt it set back in place.B|

A month or two later I had a full dislocation on a hard landing, which I don't think I would have without the previous damage to my rotator cuff.

And yes, alot of snag hazards doing so. It can be done safely, just watch snag points and exit position. The slower the airspeed the better.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Back in '05... Or was it '04,
while hanging out at the DZO's, on airport crashpad, a buddy of his drops in in a rented c182, with two hotties aboard. He'd told'em he could show'em a skydiver and even toss him outta'da plane.
Well, the unnamed DZO was at his day job, so I proceeded to wow the hotties with a exhibition of aerial daredevilry, spiced with a bit of banditry. :)
No calls given, backwoods, semi deserted airfield, lets do this!
Crammed backwards into the front seat, told the pilot to give me 3K'AGL, and slip it hard, so as I could get the damned door open. Manage to get the door open, manage to get my ass out without dislodging any handles/pins or body parts.
Door slams on my foot, looped off the wheel strut, got stable and opened at 1500'.
Hotties loved it & the day just got better and better.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I was going to mention the door slamming on the foot thing to. That happened to me the one time I tried that. The other times we just took the door off.
It's really easy to do on those rental planes.;)

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!