jacketsdb23

Picked Up Dog From Breeder...sick w/in 24 hours

So my fiance and I finally decided to add a puppy to our little family and picked up a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Less than 24 hours later and it was apparent something was wrong. We brought the dog to the emergency vet and discovered she has Parvo. $2,000 in treatment later she is expected to recover but still is in the hospital.

WTF? I'm so pissed I don't even know where to begin. I've contacted the breeder and she asked for name of Dr. and # of the place treating her. I gave her the information. Emails to her have been cordial thus far but i'm running out of patience. I don't know what I expect of her but i'm angry.

If this dog doesn't make it we can't even get a new puppy until after a year because Parvo is highly contagious and lives in the environment for up to a year. Unless a dog has all of its shots we can't have it on our property. We'll be cleaning with bleach. This just sucks.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Unless you plan to breed, get a rescue dog, it will already have it's shots, and you will be saving it's life!

As for the breeder, she is legally liable in most states, check yoru local laws and also report her kennel so more people don't get screwed, If your dog has it, all the pups do!>:(

The breeder is responsible for this. If one has Parvo then more than likely the others have it as well. The breeder should also be able to produce Vet records for your pup prior to you purchasing the pup. If not then this person is not a reputable breeder and i would take them to court in a heartbeat.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

If it was a reputable breeder, there should have been a contract between the two parties. They should also have a guarantee on the puppy's health. I've purchased two dogs from breeders and they both came with this type of agreement. I also used to be a dog breeder and always had this same type of written agreement guaranteeing a puppy's health. Parvo is a serious and devastating disease. You may want to contact the animal services department for the county the puppy was purchased in.

Edited to add: You may also want to contact the AKC (assuming that is who the puppy is registered with) and find out if there have ever been issues with this breeder in the past. They may also be able to help you determine the best course of action with the breeder.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

We have the health contract signed by both parties. I have the vet information for the puppy from the breeder. We also have registration information with the AKC. Everything is in place its just a matter of figuring what to do and how to do it. So sad..but we are comfortable that the cost of treatment was the right thing to do and the Dr. is comfortable that she'll make it. Its just a matter of time.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Unless you plan to breed, get a rescue dog, it will already have it's shots, and you will be saving it's life!

As for the breeder, she is legally liable in most states, check yoru local laws and also report her kennel so more people don't get screwed, If your dog has it, all the pups do!>:(

agreed! I just got two in the last 2 months. Gorgeous rescue dogs
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Agreed. At the rate shelter dogs are euthanized each year due to lack of adoptive families, the last thing we need is more puppies.
Mutts are hardier too.
OPT TO ADOPT!:)

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

call the SPCA and have them investigate it, they might shut the breeder down, which is better for the consumer and most iportantly the animals. again...Nest time ADOPT!;)

\,,,/(-_^)\,,,/
"For once you have tasted flight,you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been,and will long to return"

i didn't want to hop on the rescue band wagon but that is the way to go. I have 2 labs I rescued. One I rescued in Virginia and the other i rescued from Houston, TX. These are by far the two best dogs i have ever had. most rescue groups can tell you alot about the dog before you adopt and you know you are getting a healthy dog. the lab rescue group i work with will not adopt out a less than healthy dog. But I am glad to hear the little guy is going to be OK. Best of luck with the new addition to your family.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Well...ironically this dog apparently WAS rescued because it likely would have died if we had not picked it up and shelled out the money we are. Update from the doctor this afternoon said white blood cell count is good, protein is above low threshold, temperature is normal, just not eating or drinking yet. They ware giving pain meds today to see if that would encourage the dog to eat. Vet said dog won't eat until pain subsides. I know how I feel after puking all night (food poisoning) and the last think I want to do is eat.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

We always adopt (had 3 great girls this way) BUT it's not for everyone. We've been so lucky with all of ours (health, behaviour wise etc) - whilst people we know have not been.

We need a new play mate for Millie and will go to the local rehoming centre to Renta-a-Mutt:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

attached is Chloe before the trip to the hospital, when things seemed normal.

She is a big girl. 35lbs at 6 mo. old. 3/4 English and 1/4 American.

Are you sure she is a golden retriever... looks more like a platinum retriever.

:ph34r:

i didn't want to hop on the rescue band wagon...These are by far the two best dogs i have ever had. most rescue groups can tell you alot about the dog before you adopt and you know you are getting a healthy dog. the lab rescue group i work with will not adopt out a less than healthy dog. But I am glad to hear the little guy is going to be OK. Best of luck with the new addition to your family.

Agree! (Especially, with the latter.)

I grew up with breeder pups--six Papillons and a Schnauzer in our immediate fam--all of which had my heart...

Long stories short, rescue = healthier.

And, of course, mutts/mixes rule. :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

So my fiance and I finally decided to add a puppy to our little family and picked up a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Less than 24 hours later and it was apparent something was wrong. We brought the dog to the emergency vet and discovered she has Parvo. $2,000 in treatment later she is expected to recover but still is in the hospital.

WTF? I'm so pissed I don't even know where to begin. I've contacted the breeder and she asked for name of Dr. and # of the place treating her. I gave her the information. Emails to her have been cordial thus far but i'm running out of patience. I don't know what I expect of her but i'm angry.

If this dog doesn't make it we can't even get a new puppy until after a year because Parvo is highly contagious and lives in the environment for up to a year. Unless a dog has all of its shots we can't have it on our property. We'll be cleaning with bleach. This just sucks.

So sorry for you, but I gotta say it, that's Karma for not getting a rescue pup. :(

So sorry for you, but I gotta say it, that's Karma for not getting a rescue pup. :(

Wow, thats pretty harsh. Just to throw it out there not everyone wants or is prepared to take care of a rescue dog. We hear a lot of good rescue stories but trust me there are a lot of bad ones too. It's not fair to judge someone because they made an educated decision that is different from your own.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero