tharv17

Great SR-71 Article

http://gizmodo.com/5511236/the-thrill-of-flying-the-sr+71-blackbird

Unreal aircraft and a great story. I was always amazed at how fuel would leak out of the joints in the plane because it stretches so much during flight.

Hi Tharv,
Yup, the "Blackbird" what a plane!! Several storys on the net about its exploits!! Back a couple of cases of beer ago when i worked for Weber A/c in Birdbank, we now and then would have to go to Palmdale to do some retrofit, or install some widgit on a B-1B ACES II Ejection seat sys and it always seemed to be on a "Wednesday!! Funny about that, 'twas the same day they always flew the "Blackbird!!" The whole flightline stopped work and watched!!! ....Your Tax dollar$ at work!!! Quite majestic.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The closest I have gotten is the A-12 that sits on the deck of the USS Intrepid. I figure if I get the angle just right to block out the carrier deck and city, blast some engine noise recording into my ears while strapped to the launch catapult, I might be able to sort of pretend to know what its like to see one in the air for the few seconds before I get flung off the bow.

I was stationed with Brian at Myrtle Beach in the late 70s. He is a great guy who has done some incredible things. I sort of loved playing racquet ball with him. He had a way of making me think I was doing alright, and then he would just kick my ass. Mercy, it was sick how accurate his shots were and how fast he moved on the court.

Years later I had a chance to fly against him when I was going through A-10 school at Davis-Monthan. He was flying the Smurf Jet, AT-38, that we trained against in Dissimilar Air Combat Tactics (DACT). Again, I had that feeling of doing ok, then suddenly I was getting my ass kicked.

I like his "Because I Fly" piece.

Great American!!

I've read that story before - it has been reprinted extensively. My initial impression was that the pilot/author had a poet's soul...I had forgotten that I read about him in my teens in "Airman" magazine in the 1970s (yes, I was a weanie, who eventually enlisted). Shul was already an Air Force legend for having gone through the burn center at Okinawa and enduring an agonizing number of trips to the debriding tank in the process.

Shul is a true warrior-poet, like the Apache, Ten-Bears:

"I was born on the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and where every living thing drew a free breath."

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Not sure what the article is you linked to 'cuz my confuser locked up all three times I tried to use the link.
Yeah, the Blackbird was/is one hell of an aircraft. I had the pleasure many years ago of living next door to one of the aero engineers who helped design and build the bird. Lots of stories from that guy! B|
Just about a year ago I listened to Col. Richard H. Graham talk about his years of flying the Blackbird. The last part of his presentation was a Q&A session where all aspects of the program were fair game. Most of that time he spent debunking many myths perpetuated in the media such as the story of how it leaks so bad that it has to refuel after takeoff. According to the Col., the plane did leak some fuel but it was a minimal amount and nothing that would require refueling. The reason it refueled after takeoff was because it usually took off with much less than a full fuel load to increase takeoff and climb performance.

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.